Does my dog have cushing's?

Breed: Lab

I took my almost 10 y/o lab to the vet because she has been waking me up at night with her panting. I let her out to urinate, but I don't feel like she really has to go as she lolly- gags around the yard. Another problem she developed is occasional incontinence. It seems she will leak a little urine after a walk or if she is relaxed.

She has arthritis in all legs and also walks with a limp. She is only taking cosequin right now for that. She also has a history of seasonal allergies-yeast infection in her paws and ears. Chronic ear infections since a puppy. No other skin issues. She also has a few lypomas.

Despite all of these issues, she is great! She loves her walks, normal appetite, can't tell if she is drinking more water than usual and don't think she is urinating more. She can probably lose about 5 lbs but otherwise her physique and coat look great.

My vet ran a senior blood test on her. Every value came back normal except Alk phosphatase (256). Last year it was 139. He also ran a uc:ur =13. The vet wants to proceed on with an ultrasound, x-ray and hormone test. If Roxy truly has Cushings, with her lab values, do you think she should be put on medication? Do you think her panting can be caused from arthritis pain? I feel like this year she has slowed down a bit but she still LOVES her walks! Do you think it is reasonable to start her on arthritis medication before doing all of the Cushings tests? Is there an arthritis medication you can recommend?

Thanks for your time and any input.

Marie

Hi Marie,

An alkaline phosphatase level of 256 is not terribly high. Similarly, a cortisol-creatinine ratio of 13 is not extremely high either. In my books, this means that cushing's is not a likely diagnosis. However, given that Roxy is panting and is an older dog, it's not a bad idea to test for cushing's just to be sure. You may find that she has mild cushing's, in which case I would likely wait for now and monitor things and perhaps put her on medicine in the future. Cushing's is an expensive disease to treat.

On the other hand, I have some owners in situations like this who choose not to test for Cushing's because they would be unlikely to treat (due to the cost). If this were my case I would still recommend testing just so you know what to expect.

There are many other possible reasons for panting. Yes, arthritis pain is possible. In some cases like this I will use a two to three week trial of a non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug like Previcox, Metacam or Rimadyl (or there are others) and see if the panting improves.

If the panting gets worse you could ask your vet about the possibility of laryngeal paralysis. This condition is common in labs.

There are other possibilities. As dogs get older we worry about all sorts of issues and an ultrasound may help to uncover hidden things like cancers or liver problems or other issues.

I hope things work out ok!

Thank you very much Dr. Marie! Which test do you think would be best for Roxy- the LDDD or ACTH? I read somewhere that one is more sensitive than the other...with her possibly having a mild case of Cushings, which will accurately detect it?

Thanks again,
Marie

I'm so sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Every vet has a different protocol for how they test for Cushing's. Personally I use the LDDS (low dose dexamethasone suppression) test as a screening test, but I know other vets who prefer the ACTH first.

Both are similar in cost. Your vet will be the best to advise you on which test should be done.

Thanks again! Have a great weekend!

Cat not doing well. Hi Dr. Marie, First I want to say I love your page on Facebook and I am a big Fan... (10103 views)

Beagle with neck pain. I have an 8-yr. old (9 in March) female beagle. Almost a month ago, one morning she... (16746 views)

Limping kitten. I got a kitten on Monday. They said she is about 5 or 6 weeks old. For the first... (15246 views)

Guinea pig breathing problems. I'm not sure if you can answer this. My Guinea Pig was breathing very loud and fast.... (17683 views)

older cat with itchy ears. Dear Dr Marie: For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches... (13487 views)

Dog ate battery fluid. My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it... (19597 views)

Cat with bloody diarrhea iam also a vet from pakistan.i want to ask that if a cat has bloody diarrhoea;wat i... (9088 views)

Dog has hotspots from fleas. In August my dog started scratching and biting creating hotspots. She has been... (11098 views)

Cat has a sore mouth. My cat does this thing with her mouth as if there's something stuck in her tooth but... (23734 views)

Neomycin dangerous to cats? by fault i wish i hadn't, i gave my cat eardrops containing neomycin (i only gave... (19945 views)