Pink lump on dog's paw.

Breed: Minature Daschund
I just noticed my Daschund has a small lump on one of her paws. It is pinkish in color and a little swollen. She is walking fine and allows me to inspect her paw with no obvious signs of pain or discomfort.

At first I thought a tick might be burried, but I could not see any signs of a tick, it lump does look like it has a slight opening in the middle but there is no bleeding.

I can take a photo and email you a close up to give you a better idea.

David.

Hi David...thanks for your question!

I'd love to see the picture. You can email pictures to info@askavetquestion.com.

How long has it been there for?
Is there any discharge from the lump?

I sent you the photo.

David

Thanks, I got the email. What an excellent picture!

It's always hard to diagnose lumps over the internet, but I can give you a few ideas as to what could be going on.

It certainly looks like there is some infection present. The most likely explanation is that there is a foreign object in there such as a thorn or a piece of glass.

In many cases if there is a foreign object there the body will work it out on its own. You can help by soaking the foot in a solution of epsom salts for 10 minutes at a time 3x daily. If it's not improving in a few days she may need some antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

While we do occasionally see tumors in this area. However, they don't usually look ulcerated like that unless they have been there for a really long time, so this is unlikely.

Some dogs can get something called interdigital cysts that can look like this. However, they are usually located more in between the toes rather than on top. The treatment would be the same as for a foreign object.

It's a good idea to try the epsom salts. It's also good to keep her from licking it. The best way to do this is to cover it with a baby sock and use duct tape to hold the sock in place on her leg.

If she's still at it in 48 hours or if it looks like it is getting worse a vet visit is a good idea!

Hope she does well!

Thanks for the info, very helpful. I'll try the salts and see how it goes.

David.

You're very welcome! Hope things look better soon!

Feral cat with problems. There is a a trio of feral cats that we have been feeding, and over the last few... (11376 views)

Ear swollen like balloon. My dog has a large swelling on her ear that looks like a balloon. She is shaking... (26181 views)

Puppy has 6-8 bowel movements per day. My 7 month old dog has 6 - 8 bowel movements per day. Most are well formed, some... (14685 views)

Dog or cat pooping in house. Everyday – twice a day – morning and when I get home from work –... (18649 views)

Spay 10 year old dog? Hello: I adopted a Belgian tervuren 10 months ago. She was already 10 years... (14868 views)

Frontline and Revolution safe for pregnant dogs. Dr. Marie my poor yorkie is pregnet and she got flees from my sisters new dog what... (46258 views)

Foods unsafe for dogs? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 6 year old Shih Tzu. I have given him human food his... (8498 views)

Can't bear weight. This isn't my pet, it is my sister in law's pet. Over the past few months, the dog... (7011 views)

Head tremors and clingy dog. For the first time in 12 years my dog has started following me around obsessively... (8410 views)

Possible autoimmune disease. Hi, My dog is currently under vetrinarian care but he has a problem that my... (8738 views)