Pink lump on dog's paw.

Breed: Minature Daschund
I just noticed my Daschund has a small lump on one of her paws. It is pinkish in color and a little swollen. She is walking fine and allows me to inspect her paw with no obvious signs of pain or discomfort.

At first I thought a tick might be burried, but I could not see any signs of a tick, it lump does look like it has a slight opening in the middle but there is no bleeding.

I can take a photo and email you a close up to give you a better idea.

David.

Hi David...thanks for your question!

I'd love to see the picture. You can email pictures to info@askavetquestion.com.

How long has it been there for?
Is there any discharge from the lump?

I sent you the photo.

David

Thanks, I got the email. What an excellent picture!

It's always hard to diagnose lumps over the internet, but I can give you a few ideas as to what could be going on.

It certainly looks like there is some infection present. The most likely explanation is that there is a foreign object in there such as a thorn or a piece of glass.

In many cases if there is a foreign object there the body will work it out on its own. You can help by soaking the foot in a solution of epsom salts for 10 minutes at a time 3x daily. If it's not improving in a few days she may need some antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

While we do occasionally see tumors in this area. However, they don't usually look ulcerated like that unless they have been there for a really long time, so this is unlikely.

Some dogs can get something called interdigital cysts that can look like this. However, they are usually located more in between the toes rather than on top. The treatment would be the same as for a foreign object.

It's a good idea to try the epsom salts. It's also good to keep her from licking it. The best way to do this is to cover it with a baby sock and use duct tape to hold the sock in place on her leg.

If she's still at it in 48 hours or if it looks like it is getting worse a vet visit is a good idea!

Hope she does well!

Thanks for the info, very helpful. I'll try the salts and see how it goes.

David.

You're very welcome! Hope things look better soon!

Dog ate chicken bones. PLese help me! My 8 year old American Golden just ate cooked chicken bones! What... (150573 views)

Upper respiratory virus Thank you for your past advise. I now have another question that is regarding... (18819 views)

Give half pill of Iverhart? I purchased Iverhart Plus heartworm pills for dogs up to 25 pounds. Since my two... (12692 views)

Does Hartz flea treatment work? My dogs have gotten fleas and I've been putting Hartz flea treatment on them but it... (20445 views)

Dog coughing again. Dear Dr. Marie Im concerned about my dog he started about a month ago sounding... (10691 views)

Cat died. Dear Doctor Haynes, I started looking after a stray young tomcat (who I presume... (9251 views)

Shedding calicivirus. Hi can I breed from a cat shedding FCV? She has no symptoms but doen't seem to be... (9922 views)

Kitten diarrhea the kitten is about 2mths old and has diarea she was a wild kitten born outside... (12717 views)

Brain and thyroid cancer. Hello Dr. Marie, I'm so sad to say I lost my boy cancer last week. We first... (16527 views)

Puppy with vomiting and diarrhea. i have a 1 month old puppy and she is vomiting, not eating,pooping brown water and... (23859 views)