Pink lump on dog's paw.

Breed: Minature Daschund
I just noticed my Daschund has a small lump on one of her paws. It is pinkish in color and a little swollen. She is walking fine and allows me to inspect her paw with no obvious signs of pain or discomfort.

At first I thought a tick might be burried, but I could not see any signs of a tick, it lump does look like it has a slight opening in the middle but there is no bleeding.

I can take a photo and email you a close up to give you a better idea.

David.

Hi David...thanks for your question!

I'd love to see the picture. You can email pictures to info@askavetquestion.com.

How long has it been there for?
Is there any discharge from the lump?

I sent you the photo.

David

Thanks, I got the email. What an excellent picture!

It's always hard to diagnose lumps over the internet, but I can give you a few ideas as to what could be going on.

It certainly looks like there is some infection present. The most likely explanation is that there is a foreign object in there such as a thorn or a piece of glass.

In many cases if there is a foreign object there the body will work it out on its own. You can help by soaking the foot in a solution of epsom salts for 10 minutes at a time 3x daily. If it's not improving in a few days she may need some antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

While we do occasionally see tumors in this area. However, they don't usually look ulcerated like that unless they have been there for a really long time, so this is unlikely.

Some dogs can get something called interdigital cysts that can look like this. However, they are usually located more in between the toes rather than on top. The treatment would be the same as for a foreign object.

It's a good idea to try the epsom salts. It's also good to keep her from licking it. The best way to do this is to cover it with a baby sock and use duct tape to hold the sock in place on her leg.

If she's still at it in 48 hours or if it looks like it is getting worse a vet visit is a good idea!

Hope she does well!

Thanks for the info, very helpful. I'll try the salts and see how it goes.

David.

You're very welcome! Hope things look better soon!

Lump on dog's chin. My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it... (43992 views)

Swollen eye in older cat. Hello - I have a 13-yr cat with renal issues (diagnosed 2 yrs ago) - but she has... (9783 views)

Grain free foods and allergies. Previously I have a Siberian Husky that got food allergy because I kept him on the... (11653 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma? This past week Murphy (4 year old Irish Setter) developed what I thought was a small... (237052 views)

Puppy vomiting at night. My 5 month old lab is crate trained and in his crate almost nightly he has begun to... (48625 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (7918 views)

Low T4 and thyroid medicine. I have a 6yr old lab mix (approx 70 lbs) that was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (5102 views)

Cat is despondent. My cat is despondent. I don't think she's sick. I'll try anything to get some life... (6967 views)

Really bad skin issues. there is a PHOTO on the Pet-Forums-UK website, on the Dog Health sub-forum under Dog... (10151 views)

Vomiting pregnant cat. hello dr.vet my cat was with a male 2 weeks ago yesterday she started to vomit 5... (6730 views)