Pink lump on dog's paw.

Breed: Minature Daschund
I just noticed my Daschund has a small lump on one of her paws. It is pinkish in color and a little swollen. She is walking fine and allows me to inspect her paw with no obvious signs of pain or discomfort.

At first I thought a tick might be burried, but I could not see any signs of a tick, it lump does look like it has a slight opening in the middle but there is no bleeding.

I can take a photo and email you a close up to give you a better idea.

David.

Hi David...thanks for your question!

I'd love to see the picture. You can email pictures to info@askavetquestion.com.

How long has it been there for?
Is there any discharge from the lump?

I sent you the photo.

David

Thanks, I got the email. What an excellent picture!

It's always hard to diagnose lumps over the internet, but I can give you a few ideas as to what could be going on.

It certainly looks like there is some infection present. The most likely explanation is that there is a foreign object in there such as a thorn or a piece of glass.

In many cases if there is a foreign object there the body will work it out on its own. You can help by soaking the foot in a solution of epsom salts for 10 minutes at a time 3x daily. If it's not improving in a few days she may need some antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

While we do occasionally see tumors in this area. However, they don't usually look ulcerated like that unless they have been there for a really long time, so this is unlikely.

Some dogs can get something called interdigital cysts that can look like this. However, they are usually located more in between the toes rather than on top. The treatment would be the same as for a foreign object.

It's a good idea to try the epsom salts. It's also good to keep her from licking it. The best way to do this is to cover it with a baby sock and use duct tape to hold the sock in place on her leg.

If she's still at it in 48 hours or if it looks like it is getting worse a vet visit is a good idea!

Hope she does well!

Thanks for the info, very helpful. I'll try the salts and see how it goes.

David.

You're very welcome! Hope things look better soon!

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 10 week old OES pup, male. He is in good weight, healthy... (14527 views)

64 days pregnant. hello, I have a 1 1/2 year old Pomeranian half jack russel. I just found out she is... (16085 views)

Cat is being picked on I have 3 cats. Inga is picked on by both. I think they both just want to play with... (9893 views)

Wheezing cat. My cat is wheezing. Because he is 15 now I was not suprised. But then it grew worse.... (13971 views)

Surgery needed for cruciate tear? Hello again Dr. Marie, you seem like a compassionate and caring person, so I would... (4241 views)

Treatments for IBD in dogs. My dog has IBD, biopsy diagnosis. Tested feb 2010 mild fib rising lymphocytic... (13606 views)

Itchy dog. This is a follow on of a question past #2740. Choo Choo's itch has continued all... (6496 views)

Lungworm from slugs? My dog just licked a small slug. Is there a possibility of a... (10082 views)

Does my cat have asthma? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat is on Clindomycin for an allergy she was determined to... (11144 views)

Cat's tail fell off. My cat is a male, seven year old, siamese crossed with ginger named Skittles. Around... (41228 views)