Weakness in legs and thirsty.

Breed: Cavalier King Charle
Dear Dr. Marie,
Sammy has been having weakness in hind legs,difficulty standing up,will not jump on bed etc. Also an increase in thirst. please advise. I truly appreciate your help.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Sammy is having these problems.

I can't say for sure what is going on without examining him, but I can give you a few ideas.

The most common reason for a dog to have weakness in the back legs and difficulty jumping is a back problem. This could be intervertebral disc disease. IVDD happens when a disc between bones in the back pushes up against the spinal cord. This causes problems with the nerves affecting the back end of the body and it also causes pain.

However, this does not usually cause an increase in thirst.

An increase in thirst can indicate diabetes. Some dogs with diabetes will have muscle weakness. An increase in thirst can also mean kidney disease or several other problems.

I think it sounds like Sammy needs to see a vet for a good exam and some tests to determine what is going on. I really hope he is ok!

Brown near cat's vagina. Talia has brown in her fur around her vagina and I wiped it with a baby wipe and it... (17918 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. 10 days ago my german Shepherd at a maxi pad ( enlongated overnight maxi with wings)... (22726 views)

Chronic cat diarrhea. I had emailed you several times regarding my cat Bandit in December and January.... (6924 views)

Cut on ear. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog was attacked by a collie two days ago. They were just... (35098 views)

Rabies from a feral kitten? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings and I hope this e-mail reaches you in good health. I... (15578 views)

Yellow diarrhea and runny eyes. i have a kitten that has diarreah yellowish in color. she acts like she has a hard... (7288 views)

Cancer in lungs? Josie has had a persistent cough for over a year, so I took her to my vet for a... (5550 views)

My kitten died. Hi Dr Marie, We came home on Sunday after a night away (less than 24 hours) to... (11981 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (9490 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. My 12 pound maltese ate two fun sized baby ruths, a fun sized butterfinger, and one... (17456 views)