Weakness in legs and thirsty.

Breed: Cavalier King Charle
Dear Dr. Marie,
Sammy has been having weakness in hind legs,difficulty standing up,will not jump on bed etc. Also an increase in thirst. please advise. I truly appreciate your help.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Sammy is having these problems.

I can't say for sure what is going on without examining him, but I can give you a few ideas.

The most common reason for a dog to have weakness in the back legs and difficulty jumping is a back problem. This could be intervertebral disc disease. IVDD happens when a disc between bones in the back pushes up against the spinal cord. This causes problems with the nerves affecting the back end of the body and it also causes pain.

However, this does not usually cause an increase in thirst.

An increase in thirst can indicate diabetes. Some dogs with diabetes will have muscle weakness. An increase in thirst can also mean kidney disease or several other problems.

I think it sounds like Sammy needs to see a vet for a good exam and some tests to determine what is going on. I really hope he is ok!

Worms in stool. My dogs stool has a lot of worms in it. My Mom's friends takes care of a lot of... (16258 views)

Vomiting pregnant cat. hello dr.vet my cat was with a male 2 weeks ago yesterday she started to vomit 5... (6017 views)

Sensitive at tail base. My cat is 7 years old. She is the only suvivor of her litteer. All of the kittens... (115781 views)

Wound on dog's ear. Hello, my puppy has a tiny hole underneath his ear flap. It's red and I worry its... (13868 views)

Rubs his nose in vomit. A couple of times in the last few weeks, Atka has gotten sick to his stomach and... (9724 views)

Toenail problems. We adopted Tiger (62lb what appears to be shepard/boxer mix) in May and about a... (7614 views)

Sick puppy. Our Westie puppy, Minnie, is 12 weeks old today. We got her 23 days ago. From Day... (10173 views)

Black dots in dog's ear. We recently realised there are black sesame seed like black dots in one of my dog's... (10530 views)

Golden retriever coughing. This weekend I was dog sitting for my dad's three dogs while he was out of town.... (10604 views)

Dog ate a grape. Hi, My 2 year old miniature schnauzer ate a red seedless grape about 20 minutes... (11074 views)