Weakness in legs and thirsty.

Breed: Cavalier King Charle
Dear Dr. Marie,
Sammy has been having weakness in hind legs,difficulty standing up,will not jump on bed etc. Also an increase in thirst. please advise. I truly appreciate your help.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Sammy is having these problems.

I can't say for sure what is going on without examining him, but I can give you a few ideas.

The most common reason for a dog to have weakness in the back legs and difficulty jumping is a back problem. This could be intervertebral disc disease. IVDD happens when a disc between bones in the back pushes up against the spinal cord. This causes problems with the nerves affecting the back end of the body and it also causes pain.

However, this does not usually cause an increase in thirst.

An increase in thirst can indicate diabetes. Some dogs with diabetes will have muscle weakness. An increase in thirst can also mean kidney disease or several other problems.

I think it sounds like Sammy needs to see a vet for a good exam and some tests to determine what is going on. I really hope he is ok!

Coughing Dog. my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as... (14542 views)

Not eating and very weak. Our dog has been quite sick for a bit over a week now. We live on a small island in... (57307 views)

Rottweiler can't stand. Hello, We have a 13 year old Rott who was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine. ... (29550 views)

Border collie leg problems? Hi Doctor, from Surrey in The UK, We have a gorgeous Border Collie pup. We think... (13934 views)

Uncomfortable cocker spaniel My 7 1/2 year old cocker spaniel came in from a walk last night with a stomach that... (41497 views)

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (117248 views)

How often to bathe a dog? I have a black lab that just turned 4. She has relatively short hair, how often... (8450 views)

intercat aggression We have four brothers that are 1 year old. They were wild cats when their mamma... (7302 views)

Diarrhea resolves with Cephalexin. Dear Dr. Marie, I’ve been in the throes of a medical mystery with my beloved... (13308 views)

Dog biting his own penis. I have 2 foster brothers who had been severely abused when I took them in. (Broken... (63949 views)