Weakness in legs and thirsty.

Breed: Cavalier King Charle
Dear Dr. Marie,
Sammy has been having weakness in hind legs,difficulty standing up,will not jump on bed etc. Also an increase in thirst. please advise. I truly appreciate your help.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Sammy is having these problems.

I can't say for sure what is going on without examining him, but I can give you a few ideas.

The most common reason for a dog to have weakness in the back legs and difficulty jumping is a back problem. This could be intervertebral disc disease. IVDD happens when a disc between bones in the back pushes up against the spinal cord. This causes problems with the nerves affecting the back end of the body and it also causes pain.

However, this does not usually cause an increase in thirst.

An increase in thirst can indicate diabetes. Some dogs with diabetes will have muscle weakness. An increase in thirst can also mean kidney disease or several other problems.

I think it sounds like Sammy needs to see a vet for a good exam and some tests to determine what is going on. I really hope he is ok!

Roundworms and hookworms. How often do you find roundworms /hookworms in dogs is it rare of fairly... (4196 views)

Dog gagging and coughing. My dog is gagging and coughing like there is something stuck in his throat. Does... (239969 views)

Exercise after a spay? Kallie got spayed last Tuesday (July 3). She still has her stitches. We have been... (6552 views)

Two gerbils fighting. i have a gerbil that i got and i put it with my other gerbil and they were fiting... (7856 views)

Won't eat kidney diet. My cat is 17 years old. She has kidney disease and has been on kidney food (both... (13550 views)

Puppy has had diarrhea 5 days. Oliver has had diarrhea on and off for about 5 days. He is acting normally... (70716 views)

Vomiting yellow liquid. Maynard has been vomiting up yellowish urine colored liquid a few time in the last... (8348 views)

Steroid shot and NSAID? Hi Dr. Marie, Bare with me in my lengthy explanation :) I recently found out... (9333 views)

Seizures in sleep? My dog is 15 years old he has previously about 4 years ago had a tumor removed near... (5866 views)

Dog with wound. My pup is 7 months old and two days ago she dug out of her kennel and I didn't see... (18044 views)