Weakness in legs and thirsty.

Breed: Cavalier King Charle
Dear Dr. Marie,
Sammy has been having weakness in hind legs,difficulty standing up,will not jump on bed etc. Also an increase in thirst. please advise. I truly appreciate your help.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Sammy is having these problems.

I can't say for sure what is going on without examining him, but I can give you a few ideas.

The most common reason for a dog to have weakness in the back legs and difficulty jumping is a back problem. This could be intervertebral disc disease. IVDD happens when a disc between bones in the back pushes up against the spinal cord. This causes problems with the nerves affecting the back end of the body and it also causes pain.

However, this does not usually cause an increase in thirst.

An increase in thirst can indicate diabetes. Some dogs with diabetes will have muscle weakness. An increase in thirst can also mean kidney disease or several other problems.

I think it sounds like Sammy needs to see a vet for a good exam and some tests to determine what is going on. I really hope he is ok!

Salivating dog. Seizures? My dog started to twist and chew on her tongue and stick it out on her right side... (10585 views)

Dog ate staples My dog may have ingested 4 staples last night around midnight. She is acting... (39585 views)

Homeopathic seizure control. I have adopted a dog Jack aged 7. He has seizures which last about 3-5 minutes and... (6557 views)

Trifexis overdose? I think my Beagle gulped down my Coonhound's Trifexis dose. The Beage just had his... (25797 views)

In pain after anal gland surgery. my pet just got an anal gland removed and he dosent want to get up to eat. he has... (7147 views)

Nosebleed, won't eat. We have an 11 yr old black lab. About 2 mos. ago we noticed blood dripping from her... (16065 views)

Blind, deaf and no sense of smell. Jack was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in February and has been on methimazole since... (6136 views)

Chemical castration of dogs. What would be the benefits of Zinc neutering using Zinc Gluconate offered by Ark... (12115 views)

Possible stroke? Hi, Back at the end of June my dog was hit by a truck, his brakes locked, and... (9409 views)

Old dog with mammary lump Gizmo, our shihtzu is naturally slowing due to age- her hearing is gone - her sight... (9302 views)