Tums for calcium?

Breed: Yorki
Missy is pregnant with her second litter. She developed a calcium deficiency and was given tums after puppies were born with first litter. Can I give her tums before puppies are born to keep this from happening with this litter?

It is definitely not a good idea to give Missy tums.

The idea of giving tums to a pregnant animal was brought about by people who wanted to increase the dog's calcium level. However, what happens is that you are telling her body that she does not need to make calcium. The bones and cells that normally make calcium will slow down the production of calcium because there is enough in the system.

But, when it comes time for lactation (milk production) we need to body to greatly increase the calcium produced. This is much more difficult for a dog whose bones and cells are not currently producing calcium.

So, by supplementing with calcium we can actually see a higher chance of hypocalcemia (low calcium).

Diabetic cat with seizures. I've inherited a diabetic cat with a history of seizures. Since bringing him home,... (24296 views)

Cat with painful lump. my outside cat just recently got a big lump on the right side of his stomach and he... (18933 views)

Puppy died suddenly. Dakota was playful, looked energetic and happy thursday morning. by dinner time the... (29312 views)

Basset Hound whining. My basset has seemed to be more whiny latley than usual. I felt around his joints... (11529 views)

Allergic reaction. Harley is having the following symptoms. Shaking head regularly licking... (6786 views)

Heavy breathing in dog. My dog seems to be panting and breathing heavily quite often, almost all the time,... (17952 views)

Black spot on dog's nose. Hi my name is Joanne I noticed about a week ago my 8 year old lab had a small black... (32794 views)

Swollen face after tooth removal. Two months ago, Chuck (our elderly dog who's become more and more aggressive when... (31171 views)

How much water does a puppy drink? My dog is almost 9 months old and he drinks water all the time i often find him... (16536 views)

Can a neutered dog breed? Hi, I have a 2 year old chihuahua weighs 4 pounds named Frenchy Fry. I nuetered him... (29963 views)