Tums for calcium?

Breed: Yorki
Missy is pregnant with her second litter. She developed a calcium deficiency and was given tums after puppies were born with first litter. Can I give her tums before puppies are born to keep this from happening with this litter?

It is definitely not a good idea to give Missy tums.

The idea of giving tums to a pregnant animal was brought about by people who wanted to increase the dog's calcium level. However, what happens is that you are telling her body that she does not need to make calcium. The bones and cells that normally make calcium will slow down the production of calcium because there is enough in the system.

But, when it comes time for lactation (milk production) we need to body to greatly increase the calcium produced. This is much more difficult for a dog whose bones and cells are not currently producing calcium.

So, by supplementing with calcium we can actually see a higher chance of hypocalcemia (low calcium).

Cat hair loss. My cat has some blood above both er of her eyes and it looks like the fur fell out.... (49752 views)

Can't get rid of fleas. Lately my dog has been non stop scratching and biting his skin. His skin becomes... (7876 views)

Infected wound? Hi, my cat is indoor and outdoor (she has the face of an Egyptian Mau & its head... (3187 views)

Dog won't eat. HELP! Starting I think Thursday or Friday Max ate but was easily distracted. I'd... (24466 views)

Cut on ear. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog was attacked by a collie two days ago. They were just... (34258 views)

How to keep dogs from breeding. Hi there, I have a one year old female Beagle/Boxer mix and a Lab/pitt mix... (5478 views)

Vomiting all food. My mom's adopted shelter cat, Luci, has a strange problem. It used to be nearly... (6605 views)

Trouble urinating. For about a week I have noticed my aging male neutered dog having a hard time... (45898 views)

Mark on dog's nose. Hello! My dog is a Toy Fox Terrier (5 years old). He is a typical hyperactive toy... (4201 views)

Seizure episode. he just had a sesiure like episode where he was walking with me and just kinda... (6598 views)