Tums for calcium?

Breed: Yorki
Missy is pregnant with her second litter. She developed a calcium deficiency and was given tums after puppies were born with first litter. Can I give her tums before puppies are born to keep this from happening with this litter?

It is definitely not a good idea to give Missy tums.

The idea of giving tums to a pregnant animal was brought about by people who wanted to increase the dog's calcium level. However, what happens is that you are telling her body that she does not need to make calcium. The bones and cells that normally make calcium will slow down the production of calcium because there is enough in the system.

But, when it comes time for lactation (milk production) we need to body to greatly increase the calcium produced. This is much more difficult for a dog whose bones and cells are not currently producing calcium.

So, by supplementing with calcium we can actually see a higher chance of hypocalcemia (low calcium).

Euthanize biting dog? My name is Meghan and I am going through a super tough situation and thought maybe... (6765 views)

Pregnant cat question. Back in March approx. around the 9th my cat Faith went into heat. During this time... (31456 views)

Pimples on dog's stomach. Your Question: Edit Question Our dog suddenly got little pimple-like lesions all... (36814 views)

Alternative to fluid pills. What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?... (9943 views)

How to get cat to eat. I have a cat that developed anorexia. She lost so much weight that she developed... (5505 views)

Anal sac problems. When I cane home form work I noticed that my dog was bleeding from her anus. I took... (67266 views)

Cat's foot is swollen. His left back foot is swollen and his paw. Ever since it was swollen he has been... (7558 views)

Breathing heavy. Is this Asthma? I have a question about asthma and heavy breathing General background: Okara... (7456 views)

Dog throws up 3-5 times per week. Max is active & playful. He's a picky eater but seems to eat enough and drinks... (15391 views)

Crying after using litter box. After my cat eats, drinks, gets up or uses the cat box she cries this very strange... (26440 views)