Tums for calcium?

Breed: Yorki
Missy is pregnant with her second litter. She developed a calcium deficiency and was given tums after puppies were born with first litter. Can I give her tums before puppies are born to keep this from happening with this litter?

It is definitely not a good idea to give Missy tums.

The idea of giving tums to a pregnant animal was brought about by people who wanted to increase the dog's calcium level. However, what happens is that you are telling her body that she does not need to make calcium. The bones and cells that normally make calcium will slow down the production of calcium because there is enough in the system.

But, when it comes time for lactation (milk production) we need to body to greatly increase the calcium produced. This is much more difficult for a dog whose bones and cells are not currently producing calcium.

So, by supplementing with calcium we can actually see a higher chance of hypocalcemia (low calcium).

Possible laryngeal paralysis. Jet has started making sounds like he is gasping for breath and then coughs. This... (13389 views)

Malamute panting. We have taken in a rescue dog. When they brought him to us he was panting and they... (12390 views)

Yorkie having seizures. my dog has fits his back legs go stiff he then starts panting excessively his fur is... (9189 views)

Is my cat pregnant? How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if... (11366 views)

Kitten is walking funny. Recently I have noticed that our new addition to the family has been walking... (13854 views)

Human medicine for cats? Dear Whom ever it concerns, Hi my name is Lindsey. I got this stray cat 3-4 months... (13058 views)

Coughing cat. i have a indoor cat - about 10 years old... she had been staying in our... (11892 views)

Blood pressure for a bird. What is a normal Blood pressure for an AFrican Grey Parrot her wing pressure was... (8365 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (16712 views)

Lump after vaccines. ...Hello! My name is Jessie and I have a Teacup Chihuhua named Zeep. He is about 10... (15200 views)