Tums for calcium?

Breed: Yorki
Missy is pregnant with her second litter. She developed a calcium deficiency and was given tums after puppies were born with first litter. Can I give her tums before puppies are born to keep this from happening with this litter?

It is definitely not a good idea to give Missy tums.

The idea of giving tums to a pregnant animal was brought about by people who wanted to increase the dog's calcium level. However, what happens is that you are telling her body that she does not need to make calcium. The bones and cells that normally make calcium will slow down the production of calcium because there is enough in the system.

But, when it comes time for lactation (milk production) we need to body to greatly increase the calcium produced. This is much more difficult for a dog whose bones and cells are not currently producing calcium.

So, by supplementing with calcium we can actually see a higher chance of hypocalcemia (low calcium).

Cat puts her paw on my face. Why does my cat Bruski always put her paw on my face when shes sleeping shell keep... (26536 views)

Stomatitis and FIV. my cat has stomatitus and fiv. i hate to give her up but she may be suffering and i... (15962 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (18932 views)

Why is my hamster biting me? My hamster bites me only when I take him out of his ball or exercise wheel. Even on... (15032 views)

Dog biting bas of tail, but no fleas. Hi, I have an otherwise healthy chihuahua who has always been a foot chewer but has... (250420 views)

See the vet for dog bite? Daisy was bitten my my other dog in 2 places. It bled moderately and I gently bathed... (6031 views)

Can dogs get laryngitis? what is a home remedy for a laryngitis? My dog has had it... (14127 views)

Cloudy eye after an infection hi my dog steve is 8 months old hes a pureb german shepherd, within the last 8weeks... (12382 views)

Small puppy. Rnt? Hi, I just purchased a purebred BullMastiff puppy. He is very happy and seems to... (33412 views)

Dog licking at penis. Hi doc- Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's... (285798 views)