Tums for calcium?

Breed: Yorki
Missy is pregnant with her second litter. She developed a calcium deficiency and was given tums after puppies were born with first litter. Can I give her tums before puppies are born to keep this from happening with this litter?

It is definitely not a good idea to give Missy tums.

The idea of giving tums to a pregnant animal was brought about by people who wanted to increase the dog's calcium level. However, what happens is that you are telling her body that she does not need to make calcium. The bones and cells that normally make calcium will slow down the production of calcium because there is enough in the system.

But, when it comes time for lactation (milk production) we need to body to greatly increase the calcium produced. This is much more difficult for a dog whose bones and cells are not currently producing calcium.

So, by supplementing with calcium we can actually see a higher chance of hypocalcemia (low calcium).

Cat has fleas. My poor cat has fleas, he is losing hair and is just miserable. I am looking for a... (5135 views)

Dog has lump on top of head. My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a... (32348 views)

Liver cancer questions. My dog Penny was on trilo for Cushings - Dec 2010- then she went into Addisons went... (7011 views)

How often to bathe a dog? I have a black lab that just turned 4. She has relatively short hair, how often... (8173 views)

CCNU chemotherapy. My 12.5 year old Boxer mix was diagnosed with malignant melanoma last week. Surgery... (10456 views)

Spiders toxic to cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Hope things are well. I had what amounts to a common question but... (10299 views)

Why did my dog die? I have a query re. cause of death in older dog. She was a Yorkshire Terrier,... (29241 views)

Spinning on bum. my 8yr old female jack russell sits down and puts her head in the air and spins... (43721 views)

Bladder cancer. Our almost 10 year old kitty has had three recurrent bouts of uti or cystitis in the... (6063 views)

Is my dog pregnant? my dog had puppies about 7 months ago and i wasn't home often to make sure her and... (14570 views)