Tums for calcium?

Breed: Yorki
Missy is pregnant with her second litter. She developed a calcium deficiency and was given tums after puppies were born with first litter. Can I give her tums before puppies are born to keep this from happening with this litter?

It is definitely not a good idea to give Missy tums.

The idea of giving tums to a pregnant animal was brought about by people who wanted to increase the dog's calcium level. However, what happens is that you are telling her body that she does not need to make calcium. The bones and cells that normally make calcium will slow down the production of calcium because there is enough in the system.

But, when it comes time for lactation (milk production) we need to body to greatly increase the calcium produced. This is much more difficult for a dog whose bones and cells are not currently producing calcium.

So, by supplementing with calcium we can actually see a higher chance of hypocalcemia (low calcium).

Gave meds to early. Hi Dr. Marie, We are away from home this weekend and our pet sitter came early... (11081 views)

Questions about anesthesia Hi my name is Jazmin. I'm currently in college now in vet tech school. i have a... (7658 views)

Vaccines in Nunavut. Hi, We live in the high arctic and don't have access to vet services and thus... (6650 views)

Beagle with neck pain. I have an 8-yr. old (9 in March) female beagle. Almost a month ago, one morning she... (15005 views)

Possible cruciate tear. I am currently fostering an overweight husky/lab cross (Working on the weight... (8140 views)

Sick 4 week old puppies. i have 5 chihuahua puppies of 4 weeks, and last night one of the pup's started... (20136 views)

Dog pooping blood. My dog is pooping blood, but not pooping. Just blood coming out like she is... (15188 views)

Prognosis if dog has pulmonary edema. Hello Dr. Marie, I´m from Brazil, so, first of all I´m sorry about my poor... (13241 views)

Dog having seizures. Hi Dr. Marie, My regular vet left to go on holiday today and after calling the... (16288 views)

Switching foods for allergies. My male yorkie has recently developed food allergies. He has been n wheat corn and... (8092 views)