Good cat foods.

Breed: Shorthair
Hi Dr.!

I'm currently a new cat owner. I found peachie wandering near the new house we moved in. She's been with me for less than a month now.We used to feed her table scraps but since she's becoming more loved I'm thinking of buying her commercial cat food.
However, I'm not sure which brand to buy. Further, I have no idea how much nutritional value does a cat need. As of now, Friskies and Whiskas are the most apparent,but I have to make sure they meet my cats nutrional needs. How should I know? Thank you!

It's hard to know which cat foods are good ones. You can't tell much by reading the label.

Friskies and Whiskas are not good quality foods. Cats that I see on these foods consistently have a poor coat. I have seen many male cats get urinary tract disease on these foods.

I am a fan of Iams, Science Diet and Royal Canin.

I don't usually recommend holistic or organic foods. There are some good ones out there but many are not any better than the ones I mentioned above.

Swollen eye and vomiting. Hi Dr. Marie. Our dog's eye swelled up the other night withing an hour.....it went... (48625 views)

Swelling on neck. I just noticed that when my dog barks the right side of her neck swells about 1-2... (4801 views)

Kitten got head caught in door. The kitten got its head caught in the pantry door as it was closing. It seems to... (19358 views)

Cat regurgitating fluid. We have a (female) calico cat who was regurgitating 4 - 5 times per day and not... (9159 views)

Is this a flea problem? My small 3 year old in door cat very recently survived a bout with flea anemia. We... (9609 views)

Cat is getting lazy. Not urgent. Snowy used to play with paper and bottle tops and whatever else he could... (11599 views)

Scratching ears and shaking head. We just started a road trip and my Isis has started scratching her ears and shaking... (7533 views)

Cat pooping in the house. hello, my name is kelly horne. we recently got a new cat, i was told she's 6... (8080 views)

Gave meds to early. Hi Dr. Marie, We are away from home this weekend and our pet sitter came early... (10197 views)

Dental cleaning extend dog's life? My Pug Chocko has a tooth that feels loose. I think it's his lower central incisor... (6342 views)