Questions about spay.

Breed: Golden Retriever
I have an appointment to get Gracie spayed on the 17th and had a few questions.
1. The vet wants to give her her booster shot and rabies vaccine on the same day as the surgery. As we live in a rural area and have a long drive to the vet this would be convenient for us but I am wondering if it would be too much for her immune system in one day.

2. Is laser surgery better than conventional surgery? Cost doesn't matter to me, just the fact of what is better for her.

3. Is it strange that my vet charges an extra 45 dollars because she is over 3 years old, and what would be his reasoning for this?

4. She is a very healthy 3 year old, does she need the pre-anesthetic profile done in your opinion?

Thanks for all your help. As you can tell I am a nervous ninny when it comes to my baby.

Lisa

You've asked some great questions! Let's see if I can help!

1. Is it ok to give vaccines on the same day as surgery?

Usually I try to avoid doing this. It is almost always safe. However, if the dog were to have an allergic reaction we wouldn't know whether it was the vaccines or an anesthetic agent that was the cause. Also, I prefer to have the immune system dealing with one thing at a time. I have made exceptions though. For example, if someone brings in a wild feral cat that is hard to trap then I will do both at the same time.

2. Is laser surgery better than conventional surgery?

In my opinion, there is not much difference. But, I have to be honest and tell you that I do not have a laser at my practice. The laser takes the place of a scalpel blade. A laser cut causes less bleeding than a scalpel cut. However, in many cases the surgical wound takes longer to heal. For some surgeries, vets do feel that it is better such as declaws and surgeries that normally have a lot of bleeding such as a leg amputation. But for a spay, there is not much difference.

3. Why does my vet want to charge 45 dollars more because she is mature?

This is quite normal. After a dog has gone through one or two heat cycles the spay is much more difficult. There are larger blood vessels which means more suturing and the surgery takes longer than in a puppy. There is usually also lots of fat (even on a lean dog) that is covering the ovarian pedicles and this makes surgery more time consuming.

4. Does she need blood work before surgery?

This is tough to answer. I recommend that every dog has bloodwork before surgery. However, the odds are definitely in her favor that everything will be normal. But, every now and then we see a dog that has a hidden condition that could cause problems during surgery. For example, I once did a spay on a dog and she bled immensely during the surgery and almost died. It turned out that she had gotten into rat poison two weeks before which caused her to have clotting issues. Blood tests would likely have shown me that there was an area for concern. Other things that might come up are hidden infections or kidney issues.

I hope everything goes well for her surgery!

Limping, trouble breathing and then dog died. Dr. Marie, My dog died this evening and am looking for possible causes. I did not... (18513 views)

Is my dog in heat? my dog was really sick and she wouldnt eat. then after a few days she got better and... (32350 views)

Pug died suddenly. Aloha, Our beloved Pug Tobi passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday and as much as I... (8015 views)

Guinea pig noises. Heys! I have only one guinea pig and she is female. Sometimes my guinea pig makes... (10012 views)

Epsom salt vs table salt. hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the... (14870 views)

Cat peeing in house. Previously my cat would urinate or defecate on clothes/rugs if the letterbox was too... (6821 views)

Seizures Max is 14. Four nights ago he had a big seizure that lasted about 60-90 seconds. ... (88108 views)

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (9686 views)

Toxoplasmosis questions. 1) My cat is an outdoor cat. I know he is at risk for getting the parasite that... (12088 views)

Swollen hip in Golden. We inherited him from my father-in-law 2 years ago, he was very much over weight so... (4640 views)