Dog toe xray.

Breed: Boxer

I took my dog Cooper to the vet last week and he believed he had a bone infection in his toe. I was looking at the X-ray and noticed that the nail on the toe in question is a different color then all the rest. This nail was smashes by a rocking chair when he was a puppy. Could the nail be causing the infection? Why is the nail a different color then the rest? The toe is seems larger the the identical one on the opposite foot and seems inflexible in comparison. I have a picture of the nail that I would like to attach, but don't see a field to do so.

Thanks for sending the xray of your dog's foot. This really helps me to answer your question.

I've cropped the photo and circled the area that we are worried about:

toe xray on a dog

I am guessing that this actually has nothing to do with Cooper's previous injury to that toe.

What we are seeing on this xray is that the last bone on the toe that is circled is extremely distorted when you compare it to the other toes. There are two things that can cause an xray that looks like this. A bone infection is possible. In my experience the more common reason for a toe to look like this is a bone cancer. The most common type of bone cancer that can look like this is something called a squamous cell carcinoma.

The good news is that if this is a squamous cell carcinoma, it usually can be cured by having your vet surgically removing the toe. Occasionally when a dog has this problem then we will see it appear in another toe, but most of the time doing surgery cures the problem.

When I see dogs with a bone tumor they will often have a swollen toe, and yes, the nail can be a different color than the rest. Often that nail is longer than the rest.

Unfortunately, the only way to distinguish an infection from a tumor is to send the bone tissue away for a pathologist to analyze it. This means that surgery would be necessary to get a diagnosis.

I think that it is a reasonable plan to try antibiotics and see what happens. Your vet will likely want to take another xray once the antibiotics are done. If there are no obvious changes though they will probably recommend surgery.

I hope things go ok!

That is exactly the diagnosis that my local vet game me last week. We decided to try the antibiotics and come back for a follow up. If we do not see any improvement we are going to schedual the surgery. Thanks for you feedback, I really appreciate it.

Ear infection. Fred has been miserable. I have tried what i know to do. He has had a ear infection... (6255 views)

Diarrhea and coughing. First off let me apologize for the convoluted description of the symptoms, but I... (4822 views)

Bulldog death. I had American Bulldog. Behr would have been having his 6th birthday on May 24. He... (12746 views)

Black skin patches on dog. My dog started developing patches on his side a few months ago. His hair is falling... (14317 views)

Trouble breathing and died. my beloved cat mr whippy died recently and i am breaking my heart thinking i could... (8222 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. 10 days ago my german Shepherd at a maxi pad ( enlongated overnight maxi with wings)... (20307 views)

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (6888 views)

Boxer collapsed. Last saturday our female 1 year old boxer collapsed and her gums went very pale. We... (10703 views)

Drinking and urinating more. my dog is drinking so much water lately.and she is also leaving large wet spots on... (6511 views)

Sard Oxy Plus. My cat accidently stood in some Sard Oxy Plus stain remover then licked her paws and... (7316 views)