Vet was rough with my cat.

Breed: Maine Coon
I'm curious as to the process of applying anesthetic to a cat. Namely I witnessed my vet do it a few weeks ago and it seemed somewhat crude, as she took my cat and raised her a bit and quickly stabbed the needle into her and let her go. She was the most agitated I've ever seen and even bit me when I attempted to calm her down. I've not been around for many vet visits and procedures, but the way she did it seemed far too fast and only seemed to make my cat angry and panic as the anesthetic took effect.

Is this common practice, or was my vet simply not caring about my cat?

I'm sorry to hear that your cat had a traumatic experience.

There are many ways to administer an anesthetic. It sounds like your vet gave an intramuscular injection.

Usually, for anesthetic we will give an intravenous (in the vein) injection followed by gas anesthesia.

However, if an animal is really fractious then sometimes we can't get close enough to get into the vein. If this is the case then we need to do an IM injection and this can hurt.

I really can't comment on how your vet administered the medication without being there. I can tell you though that I have had many cats that have needed some rough handling in order to administer medication. I know that can be hard to see, but sometimes it is necessary.

Metronidazole for cats alternative? My 16-hr-old neutered male cat is diabetic (since 2008) Was recently prescribed... (10881 views)

Horrible euthanasia. Lucy has had steroid injections for the last 18 months due to loss of fur and skin... (4988 views)

Can dogs get tetanus? My dog got her paw caught in an animal trap this evening. She is walking around... (26952 views)

Dog had a seizure. My dog had a seizure this morning. She is a 3 ½ year old spayed Whippet/Jack... (12630 views)

How long is FIP contagious? Hi Marie. Here's my situation. Adopted Charlie in August 2010. On March 1, this year... (15261 views)

Pit bull has bald patches. Hi, we have beeen to the vet three different times and he still breaking out and... (4281 views)

Albendazole for dogs. Can I use Albendazole to deworm my puppy? I have something called Valbazen. Thank... (41771 views)

Puppy has 6-8 bowel movements per day. My 7 month old dog has 6 - 8 bowel movements per day. Most are well formed, some... (14514 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello, I have been grieving because a few days ago I had my cat euthanized. I am... (27903 views)

Lip fold pyoderma. I have suddenly noticed that Blue has an area of bright red, raw skin on both sides... (10923 views)