Vet was rough with my cat.

Breed: Maine Coon
I'm curious as to the process of applying anesthetic to a cat. Namely I witnessed my vet do it a few weeks ago and it seemed somewhat crude, as she took my cat and raised her a bit and quickly stabbed the needle into her and let her go. She was the most agitated I've ever seen and even bit me when I attempted to calm her down. I've not been around for many vet visits and procedures, but the way she did it seemed far too fast and only seemed to make my cat angry and panic as the anesthetic took effect.

Is this common practice, or was my vet simply not caring about my cat?

I'm sorry to hear that your cat had a traumatic experience.

There are many ways to administer an anesthetic. It sounds like your vet gave an intramuscular injection.

Usually, for anesthetic we will give an intravenous (in the vein) injection followed by gas anesthesia.

However, if an animal is really fractious then sometimes we can't get close enough to get into the vein. If this is the case then we need to do an IM injection and this can hurt.

I really can't comment on how your vet administered the medication without being there. I can tell you though that I have had many cats that have needed some rough handling in order to administer medication. I know that can be hard to see, but sometimes it is necessary.

Itchy legs. Kirsty was diagnosed with a skin allergey just after one year which has been... (4306 views)

Leaking urine on bed. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog has had bladder problems since she was a puppy. She will... (4541 views)

Snapping noise in joints. Doctor, We have two labs (chocolate, and black). They love to run, fetch, play, and... (12426 views)

Limping boston terrier. hi my boston terrier wont put any weight on his back right foot. It started of only... (21375 views)

Will neutering stop a dog peeing on things? hi i my dog pisses on everything well getting him fixes stop that thanks... (9476 views)

Biting her paws. my dog is biting her paws why is she? she had fleas but we gave her a pill so when... (5915 views)

Cat losing hair in patches Our cat has started loosing hair in spots. HE is an orange tabby. White spots... (17955 views)

19 year old cat died. My 19 yo childhood cat died this morning and my parents, who aren't the sort of... (7741 views)

Chihuahua with hair loss. Hey Dr.Marie. I'm writing to you about my puppy chihuahua. Sooty. She has just... (8625 views)

Kitten can't hold head up. I recently found a abandoned kitten and took it into my house. I've had for a week... (11082 views)