Vet was rough with my cat.

Breed: Maine Coon
I'm curious as to the process of applying anesthetic to a cat. Namely I witnessed my vet do it a few weeks ago and it seemed somewhat crude, as she took my cat and raised her a bit and quickly stabbed the needle into her and let her go. She was the most agitated I've ever seen and even bit me when I attempted to calm her down. I've not been around for many vet visits and procedures, but the way she did it seemed far too fast and only seemed to make my cat angry and panic as the anesthetic took effect.

Is this common practice, or was my vet simply not caring about my cat?

I'm sorry to hear that your cat had a traumatic experience.

There are many ways to administer an anesthetic. It sounds like your vet gave an intramuscular injection.

Usually, for anesthetic we will give an intravenous (in the vein) injection followed by gas anesthesia.

However, if an animal is really fractious then sometimes we can't get close enough to get into the vein. If this is the case then we need to do an IM injection and this can hurt.

I really can't comment on how your vet administered the medication without being there. I can tell you though that I have had many cats that have needed some rough handling in order to administer medication. I know that can be hard to see, but sometimes it is necessary.

Infection on leg. My dog has been licking his inner thigh to the point where it is very red and there... (19892 views)

Spay 7 year old dog? Shadow my "daughter" is 7 years old. She is NOT spayed. Recently, I noticed a... (19498 views)

Licking at private parts. I have a Indoor Male Maine Coon Cat 3 years 9mnths old, Eats 4 times a day Raw food... (12300 views)

Does dog saliva heal a wound? Is there any truth to the old wive's tale that when your dog instinctlively licks a... (8791 views)

Are tomatoes bad for dogs? I have a question about dogs and tomatoes. I accidentally fed my dog a few(maybe... (549065 views)

Brown spots and hair loss. Hi again Dr. Marie, My 6 year old Golden Retriever is itchy. I noticed that she... (18831 views)

Dog licking everything My dog has recently started compulsivley licking his paws/us/anything else he can... (16506 views)

Swollen eyelid. My dog had one lower eyelid swollen inside. I discover this after she had... (19010 views)

White tongue after neuter. My dog got neutered couple of days ago and seems to be recovering fine. He is eating... (11368 views)

Swelling on dog's face. Hi the right side of my 6 year old boxer boy's face has swelled up - looks like he... (56410 views)