Do dogs have panic attacks?

Breed: poodle
In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and shivering and sticking to me very closely, as if she was scared about something. But I have no idea what that was. This would normally last for 20-30 minutes. Then she would be absolutely fine again, eating, playing as if nothing has bothered her. Then perhaps a couple of days have passed, and the same happened again. I was wondering if this a mental or physical problem? What can I do about this?

Thank you for your advice.

Sorry to hear that Bambi is having these incidents. These can sometimes be difficult to figure out, but I'll give you my thoughts.

We don't tend to see panic attacks in dogs. I'm sure they can happen, but usually the type of thing that you are describing can be connected to some sort of a physical problem.

One possible physical problem could be some back pain. Do you ever notice Bambi having trouble jumping up onto things or doing stairs? It's possible she has some mild back pain and then occasionally has some spasms.

The next possibility is if Bambi has a problem with her anal glands. These glands sit on either side of the anus and can fill up with debris. Sometimes they can make a dog feel very uncomfortable.

Some type of stomach cramping is possible as well. Can you connect the incidents to happening after she has had a particular type of treat or new food?

It's a difficult problem to pinpoint if it only happens once every few days. I think it if continues it's probably a good idea to have your vet take a look at her. They can check her thoroughly for anything that could be causing sporadic pain such as a back or anal gland problem.

lump on dog's abdomen. Hi Dr Marie, Hopefully this is a simple question. I've noticed that one of Max's... (21022 views)

Rapid wheezing in a cat. My family adopted a cat from the humane society almost a year ago. When we got her... (10955 views)

Methamphetamine use by dog. "My dog has mental breakdown in which he acts like he is on drugs. he runs in... (16000 views)

Sick 4 week old puppies. i have 5 chihuahua puppies of 4 weeks, and last night one of the pup's started... (18281 views)

Mast cell tumor. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog, Jammy, has had a small lump near her neck that filled up... (10642 views)

Why did my puppy die? Hello, I'm in the UK and I hope you can give me some idea as to why my seemingly... (11474 views)

Normal to cry when put to sleep? Two weeks ago I put my 18 and three quarter year old dog Bertie to sleep. He would... (18581 views)

Sneezing cat. My cat keeps sneezing and sometimes has watery eyes. It started today and. I googled... (20038 views)

Jack Russel skin problems. My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald... (16301 views)

Older dog - bloody diarrhea. My dog is a 12 1/2 yr old cocker spaniel/golden retriever mix. She's had diarrhea... (38090 views)