Do dogs have panic attacks?

Breed: poodle
In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and shivering and sticking to me very closely, as if she was scared about something. But I have no idea what that was. This would normally last for 20-30 minutes. Then she would be absolutely fine again, eating, playing as if nothing has bothered her. Then perhaps a couple of days have passed, and the same happened again. I was wondering if this a mental or physical problem? What can I do about this?

Thank you for your advice.

Sorry to hear that Bambi is having these incidents. These can sometimes be difficult to figure out, but I'll give you my thoughts.

We don't tend to see panic attacks in dogs. I'm sure they can happen, but usually the type of thing that you are describing can be connected to some sort of a physical problem.

One possible physical problem could be some back pain. Do you ever notice Bambi having trouble jumping up onto things or doing stairs? It's possible she has some mild back pain and then occasionally has some spasms.

The next possibility is if Bambi has a problem with her anal glands. These glands sit on either side of the anus and can fill up with debris. Sometimes they can make a dog feel very uncomfortable.

Some type of stomach cramping is possible as well. Can you connect the incidents to happening after she has had a particular type of treat or new food?

It's a difficult problem to pinpoint if it only happens once every few days. I think it if continues it's probably a good idea to have your vet take a look at her. They can check her thoroughly for anything that could be causing sporadic pain such as a back or anal gland problem.

Hungry and losing weight. hi our cat is scrounging for food 24hrs a day even if he has just eaten. we dont... (7232 views)

Coughing cat. One of my cats has been hacking a lot the past few days. I have a video I would like... (6267 views)

Dog biting his own penis. I have 2 foster brothers who had been severely abused when I took them in. (Broken... (62352 views)

Discoid lupus treatment. Hi. I live in rural Peru. After many wrong diagnoses, a vet here diagnosed Diego... (10971 views)

Golden retriever coughing. This weekend I was dog sitting for my dad's three dogs while he was out of town.... (11232 views)

Multiple lumps on dog. hi, i have found a hard lump under the skin of my dog, it's by his ribs it does... (10297 views)

Older dog losing weight. I have Sheppard/Lab mixed breed about 13 years old. She is a large dog and has been... (75716 views)

Horrible euthanasia experience Why was my pets euthanasia a nightmare? I brought my cat Jack in for euthanasia... (9883 views)

Diabetic cat problems. I have a diabetic cat who gets 4ml ProZinc 2x per day with meals. Normally she is... (6610 views)

One puppy in litter died. I had five yookiepoo pups. One has died. Yesterday was the first day that it acted... (15711 views)