Do dogs have panic attacks?

Breed: poodle
In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and shivering and sticking to me very closely, as if she was scared about something. But I have no idea what that was. This would normally last for 20-30 minutes. Then she would be absolutely fine again, eating, playing as if nothing has bothered her. Then perhaps a couple of days have passed, and the same happened again. I was wondering if this a mental or physical problem? What can I do about this?

Thank you for your advice.

Sorry to hear that Bambi is having these incidents. These can sometimes be difficult to figure out, but I'll give you my thoughts.

We don't tend to see panic attacks in dogs. I'm sure they can happen, but usually the type of thing that you are describing can be connected to some sort of a physical problem.

One possible physical problem could be some back pain. Do you ever notice Bambi having trouble jumping up onto things or doing stairs? It's possible she has some mild back pain and then occasionally has some spasms.

The next possibility is if Bambi has a problem with her anal glands. These glands sit on either side of the anus and can fill up with debris. Sometimes they can make a dog feel very uncomfortable.

Some type of stomach cramping is possible as well. Can you connect the incidents to happening after she has had a particular type of treat or new food?

It's a difficult problem to pinpoint if it only happens once every few days. I think it if continues it's probably a good idea to have your vet take a look at her. They can check her thoroughly for anything that could be causing sporadic pain such as a back or anal gland problem.

In pain after spay. Our dog got spayed 2 days ago and she still cries in pain quite a bit. I was... (12741 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog is a mutt, 14yrs old, and has been acting strangely as of late. She doesn't... (12980 views)

Peeing in house on lasix. My dog has collapsed trachea and also an enlarged heart that was pressing on his... (16519 views)

Skin lesion on gerbil. can you recommend a treatment for what appears to be a hot spot or skin irritation... (8230 views)

Treatments for IBD in dogs. My dog has IBD, biopsy diagnosis. Tested feb 2010 mild fib rising lymphocytic... (16127 views)

Long term effects from chicken jerky? Hello Marie, I have been feeding my dog Wagon Wheel Chicken Strips for the better... (7328 views)

Chihuahua fell from couch. Hello. I have a sweet, loving, happy, and spoiled female chihuahua, weighing about... (12895 views)

Pain in nose and snout. Well, my dog Minnie hasn't been herself lately. The problem is that if I touch her... (36828 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (8813 views)

Is my cat losing weight? My 15 year old male cat looks and feels like he has lost weight. However, his weight... (6906 views)