Do dogs have panic attacks?

Breed: poodle
In the past two weeks, Bambi has a kind of panic attack to me. She was panting and shivering and sticking to me very closely, as if she was scared about something. But I have no idea what that was. This would normally last for 20-30 minutes. Then she would be absolutely fine again, eating, playing as if nothing has bothered her. Then perhaps a couple of days have passed, and the same happened again. I was wondering if this a mental or physical problem? What can I do about this?

Thank you for your advice.

Sorry to hear that Bambi is having these incidents. These can sometimes be difficult to figure out, but I'll give you my thoughts.

We don't tend to see panic attacks in dogs. I'm sure they can happen, but usually the type of thing that you are describing can be connected to some sort of a physical problem.

One possible physical problem could be some back pain. Do you ever notice Bambi having trouble jumping up onto things or doing stairs? It's possible she has some mild back pain and then occasionally has some spasms.

The next possibility is if Bambi has a problem with her anal glands. These glands sit on either side of the anus and can fill up with debris. Sometimes they can make a dog feel very uncomfortable.

Some type of stomach cramping is possible as well. Can you connect the incidents to happening after she has had a particular type of treat or new food?

It's a difficult problem to pinpoint if it only happens once every few days. I think it if continues it's probably a good idea to have your vet take a look at her. They can check her thoroughly for anything that could be causing sporadic pain such as a back or anal gland problem.

Tramadol and SAMe Hello Dr. Marie! I feel like Oreo and I have become somewhat of a regular here on... (15111 views)

Died after grooming. Hi, my puppy recently died and was wondering if you could help me, she had a trip to... (9368 views)

Chin acne. Hi there, My cat came down with a case of feline acne, probably caused by stress,... (10654 views)

Trouble walking. On Wednesday evening we called our dogs for dinnertime, and our 10 year old Alaskan... (18700 views)

Diarrhea and lump on face. My dog is a female Husky, 12 years old, 45 pounds. She had severe diarrhea... (11093 views)

Hypothyroidism? We have a 101 lbs. 7-year-old purebred Chocolate lab that has small to medium... (5373 views)

Dog dying of parvo. sage is well......dying of parvo and i want to know ways to make a dog really happy... (17886 views)

Proin for incontinence. Our lab is 4 years old and has had a urinary problem since birth. When he sleeps or... (10697 views)

Splenic mastocytosis in a cat I was told for cats with splenic mastocytosis, the treatment of choice is... (13168 views)

Cancer or infection? My dog recently completed radiation therapy for a brain tumor and he handled the... (6245 views)