Dog died suddenly even after glucose.

Breed: labrador
my dog died suddenly...... it vomited three time .........then she was not able to stand....... when we took her to vet he gave her glucose...... after an hr she got fits and her body got stiff...........she bleeded from mouth.......i just want to know what really happened to her........... pls solve my query it will give me and my family a great releafe

Oh, I am so sorry that this has happened.

It will be hard for me to say for sure what happened but I can give you some ideas of some things that could cause a young dog like this to die suddenly.

If your vet gave glucose then it means that they were concerned about hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). One possible cause of hypoglycemia in a young dog is something called a portosystemic shunt. This is a condition where a dog is born with a defect in the way that blood is routed through the liver. However, most dogs with this type of condition show some symptoms throughout their life such as increased drooling, poor weight gain, confusion, or seizures.

Another possibility for hypoglycemia is ingestion of xylitol. Xylitol is a sweetener found in some sugar free gums. This product is extremely toxic to a dog's liver and can cause death.

Another possible cause of sudden death in any animal is a congenital heart problem but this should not cause low blood sugar.

I'm so sorry that this happened. Please accept my condolences.

Kitten with white gums. My kitten is 8 weeks old she just wants to lay around she was playing with the other... (21801 views)

Protein in urine. Hi, My Yorkie is 12 and had smelly pee starting in September 2010. I took a sample... (10727 views)

Cat with sore penis. I have a neutered male cat 5 years old. 4 months ago he was really sick, we took him... (19610 views)

Milo's chicken jerky safety? Hi, Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm concerned about the chicken... (9161 views)

How often to give Benadryl? Lola always has a little bit of a breathing issue b/c of her short snout and I have... (8717 views)

Proteus indole positive diarrhea. Hello, I am from Romania. My cat Bruno (10 months) has diarrhea and at the faeces... (8395 views)

Possible distemper or kennel cough. I adopted Bub from the SPCA on August 13 and he was taken to the Vet on Aug 17 for... (9156 views)

Testicle tumor and incontinence. my 11 year old dog has a swollen testicle, (a friend told me it may be a tumor), he... (8632 views)

Vomited dewormer. I took Tommy to get his 12wk shots at Petco. He was given a yellow oral medicine not... (6962 views)

Dog ate Advil. My 1.5 year old 70 lb Goldendoodle ate some Advil gel caps about 5 days ago. I am... (11146 views)