Dog died suddenly even after glucose.

Breed: labrador
my dog died suddenly...... it vomited three time .........then she was not able to stand....... when we took her to vet he gave her glucose...... after an hr she got fits and her body got stiff...........she bleeded from mouth.......i just want to know what really happened to her........... pls solve my query it will give me and my family a great releafe

Oh, I am so sorry that this has happened.

It will be hard for me to say for sure what happened but I can give you some ideas of some things that could cause a young dog like this to die suddenly.

If your vet gave glucose then it means that they were concerned about hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). One possible cause of hypoglycemia in a young dog is something called a portosystemic shunt. This is a condition where a dog is born with a defect in the way that blood is routed through the liver. However, most dogs with this type of condition show some symptoms throughout their life such as increased drooling, poor weight gain, confusion, or seizures.

Another possibility for hypoglycemia is ingestion of xylitol. Xylitol is a sweetener found in some sugar free gums. This product is extremely toxic to a dog's liver and can cause death.

Another possible cause of sudden death in any animal is a congenital heart problem but this should not cause low blood sugar.

I'm so sorry that this happened. Please accept my condolences.

Can't lift tail. my Golden Retriever's tail doesn't lift up like it normally does. She can still wag... (16738 views)

Why did my puppy die? Hello, I'm in the UK and I hope you can give me some idea as to why my seemingly... (13299 views)

Grade 2 mast cell tumor. Hi, I want to adopt a 9yr old female Golden Retrever from this breeder. The breeder... (15503 views)

Vaccines in Nunavut. Hi, We live in the high arctic and don't have access to vet services and thus... (7097 views)

Thin after back injury. A friend found a dog years ago on the side of the road with an broken back. Break... (12613 views)

Lump on dog. Hi Dr Marie, I realize your answer to this may be a best guess... But today I... (13556 views)

Is my cat losing weight? My 15 year old male cat looks and feels like he has lost weight. However, his weight... (6750 views)

Something in throat? Husband won't let me take cat to vet..childrens pet. Cat stopped eating a few days... (35889 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Hi, I'm desperate to find out how to help my dog. 9 days ago (Monday night) she woke... (27968 views)

How to stop dog from scratching. I bought a cone for my dog because he has a sore on his eye that he keeps scratching... (19601 views)