Dog died suddenly even after glucose.

Breed: labrador
my dog died suddenly...... it vomited three time .........then she was not able to stand....... when we took her to vet he gave her glucose...... after an hr she got fits and her body got stiff...........she bleeded from mouth.......i just want to know what really happened to her........... pls solve my query it will give me and my family a great releafe

Oh, I am so sorry that this has happened.

It will be hard for me to say for sure what happened but I can give you some ideas of some things that could cause a young dog like this to die suddenly.

If your vet gave glucose then it means that they were concerned about hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). One possible cause of hypoglycemia in a young dog is something called a portosystemic shunt. This is a condition where a dog is born with a defect in the way that blood is routed through the liver. However, most dogs with this type of condition show some symptoms throughout their life such as increased drooling, poor weight gain, confusion, or seizures.

Another possibility for hypoglycemia is ingestion of xylitol. Xylitol is a sweetener found in some sugar free gums. This product is extremely toxic to a dog's liver and can cause death.

Another possible cause of sudden death in any animal is a congenital heart problem but this should not cause low blood sugar.

I'm so sorry that this happened. Please accept my condolences.

Improper tail docking? I just acquired my puppy from a backyard breeder who I was told cut off the puppies... (7853 views)

Very thirsty kitten. Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl... (10714 views)

Cat losing weight Hello, I took my 15 year old neutered cat to the vet the other day because he was... (12636 views)

Magnesium level of food. I have two cats. Casper has urinary tract issues. He is currently on a .085%... (12868 views)

Swollen gums in dog. in end june of 2009 , gingivitus like symptoms appeared in my dog . the vet did... (19473 views)

Chihuahua had a seizure. Hi , my daughter's dog is very tiny weighing just 3.8 lbs. Last night he was on my... (24212 views)

Puppy died suddenly. Dakota was playful, looked energetic and happy thursday morning. by dinner time the... (23197 views)

Should I withhold water? My zoe has just beem dignosed with diabetes we just brought her home today and we r... (9428 views)

Panting at night on steroids. my 12 year old black lab is on steroids for an auto immune disease and the medicine... (6742 views)

Feline leukemia contagious? I'm feeding a neighbor's cat that has feline leukemia. I have cats of my own. Is it... (8280 views)