Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Dog died suddenly even after glucose.

Species: Dog
Breed: labrador
Age: 6-12 months
my dog died suddenly...... it vomited three time .........then she was not able to stand....... when we took her to vet he gave her glucose...... after an hr she got fits and her body got stiff...........she bleeded from mouth.......i just want to know what really happened to her........... pls solve my query it will give me and my family a great releafe


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Oh, I am so sorry that this has happened.

It will be hard for me to say for sure what happened but I can give you some ideas of some things that could cause a young dog like this to die suddenly.

If your vet gave glucose then it means that they were concerned about hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). One possible cause of hypoglycemia in a young dog is something called a portosystemic shunt. This is a condition where a dog is born with a defect in the way that blood is routed through the liver. However, most dogs with this type of condition show some symptoms throughout their life such as increased drooling, poor weight gain, confusion, or seizures.

Another possibility for hypoglycemia is ingestion of xylitol. Xylitol is a sweetener found in some sugar free gums. This product is extremely toxic to a dog's liver and can cause death.

Another possible cause of sudden death in any animal is a congenital heart problem but this should not cause low blood sugar.

I'm so sorry that this happened. Please accept my condolences.

Dr. Marie

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Maggots in guinea pig cage. Dr. Marie, I found maggots in my guinea pig cage today. what should I do? They seem... (21679 views)

Is my dog pregnant? hi i have mated my yorkshire terrier last thursday she mated for 20 minutes and tied... (16057 views)

Itchy ear Hi Dr. I have a 9 month old neutered male golden. Beginning last Saturday he... (14837 views)

Lethargic after dentistry. Our 3 year old Sheltie was at our local vet yesterday for some shots and to get his... (36128 views)

Regurgitating water. Hello, Dr Marie. My cocker spaniel just recently started regurgitating water. He... (12949 views)

Too small for spay? My cat is really small, about nine ten pounds,is it safe to get her... (8435 views)

Wounds by anus. hello, i have a boxer and it is the third time that he has some kind of wound inside... (20790 views)

Lentigo? My cat has weird dark spots on the bald part in front of the ear canal. They look... (12499 views)

Kidney disease in a cat. First of all I am asking you because I am under extreme financial constraints right... (27216 views)

8 month old kitten producing milk. Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat... (6299 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.