Cat's leg swollen.

Breed: mutt
Hi there. I've spent an hour or more doing research about this online, and I'm at a loss. So I seek your help.

I work for a large animal rescue. We are in an area with snakes, spiders, scorpions, etc. All kinds of fun stuff.

Recently, it appeared a cat got bitten by something. That's the best we can figure. Cat beds and linens were checked, no spiders, scorpions, or snakes were found. No bite marks were found. The affected area had swelling and the skin turned a dark purple. The cat got so sick, he had to be crossed over. Whatever bit this cat (if it was a bite), killed it. Another cat showed up with the same symptoms. His leg was irrirritated, and within 30 minutes of calling a vet tech, was extremely swollen. They shaved his leg, again could find no bite marks, but again the leg turned dark purple. This cat recovered, and seems to be fine now.

But, obviously, I'm concerned. I have found some info online about heart stuff, but I find it difficult to believe that both cats had heart problems at the same time, right during wasp/bee/spider/scorpion/snake season. All of these dangerous creatures have been spotted around, just not at these particular times, and no discernable bite marks were found. I cannot find anything on the Internet about a cause for swelling and the skin turning a dark purple. I'm concerned about other cats, and what could possibly be going on. I certainly understand it's hard to tell without being here, but you're kind of my last hope for any ideas at this point. The rescue's vets are stumped, too, and that's after actually seeing/examining the cats! We've already lost one precious baby, don't want to lose any more.

Thank you.

This is an odd situation. I'm really not sure how much I can add unfortunately.

If this had happened to just one cat then I would say it was probably an abscess from a bite from another cat. Cats can get bitten, then heal up the skin and then an abscess can form underneath the skin and no bite marks can be seen. They definitely can have the symptoms you described.

However, if you actually saw a cat go from slightly irritated to extremely swollen in 30 minutes then this does not sound like a cat bite abscess. It sounds like it was some sort of venomous bite. My best guess would be that it was from a snake. Where I practice I don't see many snake bites so I can't comment on whether or not that is possible without seeing any bite marks.

If the worst happens and another cat dies in the same way you could consider asking the vet to do a post mortem exam. Sending samples to a pathologist could give us some insight but may be expensive though.

I wish I could add more.

Urinating in house. Bella has started urinating in places other than her litter box. She has not been... (4509 views)

Pink bumps on dog. My dog has two small bumps on top of his head. I took a picture, but I don't see a... (33691 views)

Itchy dog. My question is long because I have to give all the background data. On May 10, 2011... (20220 views)

Vomiting foam and not eating. Hi, Pumpkin is an eleven year old male cat. He is usually a very good eater. For the... (47243 views)

Dental care for older dog. I have an older dog with bad teeth but no way to afford doggy dental. I was... (19348 views)

Recessed vulva I have a customer that claims the dog she bought from me has perivulvar pyoderma. ... (26569 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Our dog is a miniature dachshund and she just (about 30 minutes ago) ate about 20 to... (13066 views)

Do allergy wipes work? Do cat wipes work for people who are allergic to feline dander? Are the wipes... (11197 views)

Constipated cat. Hi Dr. Marie, The last time I emailed you (about a year ago), our cat, Keane, was... (14255 views)

Infected spay incision? Puppy got spayed about 12 days ago and her incision was healing really quickly. Now,... (69890 views)