Cat's leg swollen.

Breed: mutt
Hi there. I've spent an hour or more doing research about this online, and I'm at a loss. So I seek your help.

I work for a large animal rescue. We are in an area with snakes, spiders, scorpions, etc. All kinds of fun stuff.

Recently, it appeared a cat got bitten by something. That's the best we can figure. Cat beds and linens were checked, no spiders, scorpions, or snakes were found. No bite marks were found. The affected area had swelling and the skin turned a dark purple. The cat got so sick, he had to be crossed over. Whatever bit this cat (if it was a bite), killed it. Another cat showed up with the same symptoms. His leg was irrirritated, and within 30 minutes of calling a vet tech, was extremely swollen. They shaved his leg, again could find no bite marks, but again the leg turned dark purple. This cat recovered, and seems to be fine now.

But, obviously, I'm concerned. I have found some info online about heart stuff, but I find it difficult to believe that both cats had heart problems at the same time, right during wasp/bee/spider/scorpion/snake season. All of these dangerous creatures have been spotted around, just not at these particular times, and no discernable bite marks were found. I cannot find anything on the Internet about a cause for swelling and the skin turning a dark purple. I'm concerned about other cats, and what could possibly be going on. I certainly understand it's hard to tell without being here, but you're kind of my last hope for any ideas at this point. The rescue's vets are stumped, too, and that's after actually seeing/examining the cats! We've already lost one precious baby, don't want to lose any more.

Thank you.

This is an odd situation. I'm really not sure how much I can add unfortunately.

If this had happened to just one cat then I would say it was probably an abscess from a bite from another cat. Cats can get bitten, then heal up the skin and then an abscess can form underneath the skin and no bite marks can be seen. They definitely can have the symptoms you described.

However, if you actually saw a cat go from slightly irritated to extremely swollen in 30 minutes then this does not sound like a cat bite abscess. It sounds like it was some sort of venomous bite. My best guess would be that it was from a snake. Where I practice I don't see many snake bites so I can't comment on whether or not that is possible without seeing any bite marks.

If the worst happens and another cat dies in the same way you could consider asking the vet to do a post mortem exam. Sending samples to a pathologist could give us some insight but may be expensive though.

I wish I could add more.

Spot in cat's eye. About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was... (23046 views)

Tea Tree Oil Toxicity. Tea tree oil extract was put on the neck and spine of the dog for flea prevention. ... (15117 views)

Bone cancer in leg. Hello My cat is 13 years old he was always a big cat and then became a big fat cat.... (15021 views)

Vomiting and bloody stool. We just took a trip, and on the last day away our dog began throwing up. We have... (13283 views)

Puppy leaking urine. My puppy seems to be going pee while he sleeps .. He's 7 weeks old. Is this normal?... (8510 views)

Eye out of socket. MY PUPPY JUST GOT BIT BY A LARGE DOG IN THE LEFT EYE. THE EYE LOOKS LIKE ITS OUT OF... (9662 views)

pain after root canal Had major teeth work performed about 3 months ago as we noticed her breath and she... (7107 views)

Sick cat after teeth cleaning. she had her teeth cleaned on march 1st...came home..she was woozy from... (13029 views)

Dog Scorpion Bite. My dog Bella was under the table when she just started screaming! We got her out... (31562 views)

Surgery needed for cruciate tear? Hello again Dr. Marie, you seem like a compassionate and caring person, so I would... (4026 views)