Cat's leg swollen.

Breed: mutt
Hi there. I've spent an hour or more doing research about this online, and I'm at a loss. So I seek your help.

I work for a large animal rescue. We are in an area with snakes, spiders, scorpions, etc. All kinds of fun stuff.

Recently, it appeared a cat got bitten by something. That's the best we can figure. Cat beds and linens were checked, no spiders, scorpions, or snakes were found. No bite marks were found. The affected area had swelling and the skin turned a dark purple. The cat got so sick, he had to be crossed over. Whatever bit this cat (if it was a bite), killed it. Another cat showed up with the same symptoms. His leg was irrirritated, and within 30 minutes of calling a vet tech, was extremely swollen. They shaved his leg, again could find no bite marks, but again the leg turned dark purple. This cat recovered, and seems to be fine now.

But, obviously, I'm concerned. I have found some info online about heart stuff, but I find it difficult to believe that both cats had heart problems at the same time, right during wasp/bee/spider/scorpion/snake season. All of these dangerous creatures have been spotted around, just not at these particular times, and no discernable bite marks were found. I cannot find anything on the Internet about a cause for swelling and the skin turning a dark purple. I'm concerned about other cats, and what could possibly be going on. I certainly understand it's hard to tell without being here, but you're kind of my last hope for any ideas at this point. The rescue's vets are stumped, too, and that's after actually seeing/examining the cats! We've already lost one precious baby, don't want to lose any more.

Thank you.

This is an odd situation. I'm really not sure how much I can add unfortunately.

If this had happened to just one cat then I would say it was probably an abscess from a bite from another cat. Cats can get bitten, then heal up the skin and then an abscess can form underneath the skin and no bite marks can be seen. They definitely can have the symptoms you described.

However, if you actually saw a cat go from slightly irritated to extremely swollen in 30 minutes then this does not sound like a cat bite abscess. It sounds like it was some sort of venomous bite. My best guess would be that it was from a snake. Where I practice I don't see many snake bites so I can't comment on whether or not that is possible without seeing any bite marks.

If the worst happens and another cat dies in the same way you could consider asking the vet to do a post mortem exam. Sending samples to a pathologist could give us some insight but may be expensive though.

I wish I could add more.

Trouble with back legs. I have a 11 yr old, inside only cat, that is a little over weight approx. 15lbs.... (46317 views)

Dog ate battery fluid. My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it... (19477 views)

Small open wound on dog Our min pin lives out in country with us. We have enclosed 1/2 acre fenced area. She... (16755 views)

Abscess on paw. has a very swollen front paw that spilt open between middle toes puss and blood ... (51056 views)

Will kitten be ok when I go away? My kitten will be just over 15 weeks old when we go away for 1 week. I was going to... (14397 views)

Too small for spay? My cat is really small, about nine ten pounds,is it safe to get her... (9787 views)

Sick Yorkie Buddy has been acting sick for about a week, being lethargic and unresponsive,... (7660 views)

What foods to give cats? Yesterday I adopted two male cats. I am unsure what to feed them. Their foster mum... (9810 views)

Is my hamster dead? My hamster isn't moving like he used too. His eyes are always opened and he isn't... (18188 views)

Guinea Pig in Heat? Dear Dr. Marie, I have a guinea pig named Charlie, and my friend also has a... (33496 views)