My dog eats too fast.

Breed: Chocolate Lab
My dog eats too fast. He occasionally gags a bit or throws up shortly after eating, without digesting his food. I mean inhales. Since he is a large dog, I have his food and water bowls elevated on a food stand for large dogs.

My question: Is it better to have him eat out of his elevated bowl and just allow him to inhale his food, or is it better if I put his meals in a rubber Kong and let him work a bit (which slows him down) to eat. I'm just concerned since the Kong is on the ground and i heard it's not health for large dogs to bend so far over while eating.

Any advice?

I appreciate your help.

This is a really common problem in Labs!

I really don't have a problem with a dog bending over while eating. Personally, I think the Kong is a better idea than letting him eat his food too quickly.

Here are some other suggestions that may help.

I hope that helps!

Cat shaking after flea treatment. I accidentally treated my kitten with a store bought flea treatment meant for dogs... (28993 views)

Crusty ears on a cat. My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of... (23996 views)

Dog has a runny eye. Hi Marie! Aprox. 2 months ago, Hope's one eye started to water and run a clear... (21286 views)

Frontline and Revolution safe for pregnant dogs. Dr. Marie my poor yorkie is pregnet and she got flees from my sisters new dog what... (47389 views)

Conjunctivitis zoonotic? My dog has conjunctivitis, which he is being treated for and my friends daughter who... (13654 views)

Kittens have tapeworm. Hello, About 4-5 weeks ago I adopted 2 12 week old kittens. They are littermates... (35828 views)

Tramadol not working. He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on... (15381 views)

Sudden pain in dog. I have a nine year old female black lab mix, Polly. When I adopted her, I was... (6436 views)

Reverse sneeze. My dog started making a weird nosie that sounds kind of like a pig but that seems to... (6742 views)

Kitten diarrhea the kitten is about 2mths old and has diarea she was a wild kitten born outside... (9971 views)