My dog eats too fast.

Breed: Chocolate Lab
My dog eats too fast. He occasionally gags a bit or throws up shortly after eating, without digesting his food. I mean inhales. Since he is a large dog, I have his food and water bowls elevated on a food stand for large dogs.

My question: Is it better to have him eat out of his elevated bowl and just allow him to inhale his food, or is it better if I put his meals in a rubber Kong and let him work a bit (which slows him down) to eat. I'm just concerned since the Kong is on the ground and i heard it's not health for large dogs to bend so far over while eating.

Any advice?

I appreciate your help.

This is a really common problem in Labs!

I really don't have a problem with a dog bending over while eating. Personally, I think the Kong is a better idea than letting him eat his food too quickly.

Here are some other suggestions that may help.

I hope that helps!

Diabetic cat problems. ivay is a diabetic last blood test 3 weeks ago was 21 he has gained 5 lbs since jan... (7222 views)

High ALP in a pug. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 7yr old female Pug. She was getting "pyoderma" every few... (37078 views)

Coughing and not eating chihuahua My 3 year old chihuahua has been going downhill for about 2 weeks. Last week he... (9737 views)

Bathed dog in gasoline. my dog's losing a lot of hair and her skin shows discoloration.when i was away for... (21871 views)

Pain in nose and snout. Well, my dog Minnie hasn't been herself lately. The problem is that if I touch her... (39426 views)

Wobbly after back surgery. My little dog, pumpkin, had surgery for a 'blown disc' 2-1/2 years. She attempts to... (11431 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is almost 18 years old and he has kidney disease. He is on a special diet my... (12297 views)

Guinea pig lifespan. Hi! Just wanna know, whats the life span of a guinea... (12225 views)

Exercise after a spay? Kallie got spayed last Tuesday (July 3). She still has her stitches. We have been... (9320 views)

Bladder surgery? How painful/stressful is bladder surgery for a fearful barn cat? A few days ago I... (20691 views)