Weight loss in cat.

Breed: Mix
My cat use to be really overweight. About a year ago he started to get sick a lot so we tried changing his food. Since then, he has rapidly lost weight and is now starting to show several other symptoms. He is shedding his hair a lot more, his purring is not normal, he's a lot less aggressive than he used to be, and he doesn't clean himself.

I know he's in bad shape and we haven't had him in to a vet in years. I am just wondering if there is anything we can do to make him more comfortable and if there is any hope in improving his condition.

I'm sorry to hear that Michael is having these problems. There are a number of conditions that older cats can get that can cause the symptoms you described. Some of them are treatable if we get to them early enough so it is a good idea to have your vet do some bloodwork on him.

One possibility is hyperthyroidism. Cats with this condition will tend to eat well but still lose weight.

It is also possible there is a problem with his liver or kidneys. Some of these problems are treatable, but some we can only manage with medications for a short while.

Diabetes is also a possibility especially if he is drinking and urinating a lot.

There are other possibilities as well. Your vet will likely do a thorough exam and some general bloodwork to determine what is going on.

I hope he does ok!

Pooping in the house. Hi Ipurchased a dog from a pet rescue organisation in Sydney just over three months... (18890 views)

How long for Frontline to work An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing... (12245 views)

Kitten has diarrhea my kitten is 8-10 weeks old...shes been on dry food now for about 3 weeks. was on... (7133 views)

Boxer fainted. My 1 1/2 year old boxer fainted or collapsed yesterday evening as he was walking to... (11038 views)

Diabetic cat diet. Hi, I am the owner of two siamese cats (female) from same litter - 11.5 years old.... (14987 views)

Dog hurt her leg. hi my dog trixey is nearly 15.i think she may have hurt her leg because she can't... (8888 views)

Very sick puppy. Hi there So we bought a puppy from this lady a few days ago. The puppy was fine... (9888 views)

Incontinent kitten. Hi there! I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at... (14310 views)

Need exam with steroid shot? Is it by the state of law that your cat needs to be examined when you know the cat... (7308 views)

Are lumps related to seizures? Hi, Amber is 10 years old. Since she was young she had frequent seizures, as she... (13540 views)