Weight loss in cat.

Breed: Mix
My cat use to be really overweight. About a year ago he started to get sick a lot so we tried changing his food. Since then, he has rapidly lost weight and is now starting to show several other symptoms. He is shedding his hair a lot more, his purring is not normal, he's a lot less aggressive than he used to be, and he doesn't clean himself.

I know he's in bad shape and we haven't had him in to a vet in years. I am just wondering if there is anything we can do to make him more comfortable and if there is any hope in improving his condition.

I'm sorry to hear that Michael is having these problems. There are a number of conditions that older cats can get that can cause the symptoms you described. Some of them are treatable if we get to them early enough so it is a good idea to have your vet do some bloodwork on him.

One possibility is hyperthyroidism. Cats with this condition will tend to eat well but still lose weight.

It is also possible there is a problem with his liver or kidneys. Some of these problems are treatable, but some we can only manage with medications for a short while.

Diabetes is also a possibility especially if he is drinking and urinating a lot.

There are other possibilities as well. Your vet will likely do a thorough exam and some general bloodwork to determine what is going on.

I hope he does ok!

lump on spay incision Hello Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed 5 days ago. Her incision looks wonderful... (27119 views)

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (10014 views)

Brittle nails in a dog. My dog's nails seem to be chipping off and bleeding. He's not biting them. What is... (16142 views)

Swollen glands in neck. 7 year old corgie, swollen glands in neck, possible swelling in abdominal area near... (25567 views)

Back spasms 2 years ago, I took Rusty to an emergeny vet one evening because he seemed warm and... (17823 views)

Cat won't pee or poop. Hi there, I have a nine year old DLH female cat. For 5 years now she has had... (25812 views)

Licking at bum and feet. My 12 year old female cat started having anal gland issues over a year ago. After... (7428 views)

Lump on dog's belly. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 5 year old Cocker Spaniel female - spayed when she was a... (15744 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate candy. Bo ate an 8 oz. package of See's chocolate brittle (12 one inch pieces of toffee... (8601 views)

Dog walking sideways. Hello Dr. Here is my question, So my little shitzu is about 2 1/2 yrs old and... (43044 views)