Weight loss in cat.

Breed: Mix
My cat use to be really overweight. About a year ago he started to get sick a lot so we tried changing his food. Since then, he has rapidly lost weight and is now starting to show several other symptoms. He is shedding his hair a lot more, his purring is not normal, he's a lot less aggressive than he used to be, and he doesn't clean himself.

I know he's in bad shape and we haven't had him in to a vet in years. I am just wondering if there is anything we can do to make him more comfortable and if there is any hope in improving his condition.

I'm sorry to hear that Michael is having these problems. There are a number of conditions that older cats can get that can cause the symptoms you described. Some of them are treatable if we get to them early enough so it is a good idea to have your vet do some bloodwork on him.

One possibility is hyperthyroidism. Cats with this condition will tend to eat well but still lose weight.

It is also possible there is a problem with his liver or kidneys. Some of these problems are treatable, but some we can only manage with medications for a short while.

Diabetes is also a possibility especially if he is drinking and urinating a lot.

There are other possibilities as well. Your vet will likely do a thorough exam and some general bloodwork to determine what is going on.

I hope he does ok!

Starting pay of a vet. I'm a student hoping to study Vet Med but I might need to get student loan for the... (5272 views)

Wheezing cat. My cat is wheezing. Because he is 15 now I was not suprised. But then it grew worse.... (14261 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello, I have been grieving because a few days ago I had my cat euthanized. I am... (28671 views)

Allergies or URTI? I was looking at the questions on cats, but couldn't find one that was close to what... (7838 views)

Recurrent bladder infection. I have a four month old pug puppy that has had symptoms of UTI since 4/8/13. She is... (11821 views)

Non itchy bald spots. She has 3 bald spots on her head and 2-3 more around her body. Took her to the vet... (15528 views)

Itchy dog. I had noticed the oldest one of my dogs, Chloe, chewing and itching a little more... (46592 views)

Dog is drooling. My dog is drooling non-stop! It just started this morning after I let him... (18982 views)

Dog ate moldy corn. My 4 month old, 20 lb. standard poodle may have eaten very moldy creamed corn from a... (45595 views)

Brian tumor? Two months ago, my dog had his first seizure ever. He was taking Gabapentin (disc... (5809 views)