Weight loss in cat.

Breed: Mix
My cat use to be really overweight. About a year ago he started to get sick a lot so we tried changing his food. Since then, he has rapidly lost weight and is now starting to show several other symptoms. He is shedding his hair a lot more, his purring is not normal, he's a lot less aggressive than he used to be, and he doesn't clean himself.

I know he's in bad shape and we haven't had him in to a vet in years. I am just wondering if there is anything we can do to make him more comfortable and if there is any hope in improving his condition.

I'm sorry to hear that Michael is having these problems. There are a number of conditions that older cats can get that can cause the symptoms you described. Some of them are treatable if we get to them early enough so it is a good idea to have your vet do some bloodwork on him.

One possibility is hyperthyroidism. Cats with this condition will tend to eat well but still lose weight.

It is also possible there is a problem with his liver or kidneys. Some of these problems are treatable, but some we can only manage with medications for a short while.

Diabetes is also a possibility especially if he is drinking and urinating a lot.

There are other possibilities as well. Your vet will likely do a thorough exam and some general bloodwork to determine what is going on.

I hope he does ok!

My dog is pooping blood. What does it mean when a dog poops blood? I woke up this morning and there was... (670879 views)

Dog ate a feminine pad. My Boyfriend's Dog scooter is a German Shorthaired Pointer. He is about 4 years old.... (146285 views)

Swollen dog testicles. can dogs get testuculer or prostate cancers? my dog has swollen testicles, and is... (35018 views)

Chronic ehrlichiosis treatment. I have a 7 year old Black Russian Terrier that was diagnosed 1 year ago with... (14053 views)

Crying after using litter box. After my cat eats, drinks, gets up or uses the cat box she cries this very strange... (25454 views)

Drinking more and thirsty LILI, 7.5 YRS OLD, HAS STARTED WETTING HER BED AND SHE HAS AN UNENDING THIRST AND... (14272 views)

Helicobacter in ferrets. HI! I read your response regarding the ferret who was not eating, vomiting, lying in... (14429 views)

Is my dog in heat? my dog was really sick and she wouldnt eat. then after a few days she got better and... (32536 views)

Benadryl for allergies? Dear Dr. Marie, Sadie, my eight year old daschund has a skin condition that causes... (6484 views)

Trouble having bowel movements. ok so my pug has pooping weird lately. almost every time he goes he wines and runes... (5290 views)