Weight loss in cat.

Breed: Mix
My cat use to be really overweight. About a year ago he started to get sick a lot so we tried changing his food. Since then, he has rapidly lost weight and is now starting to show several other symptoms. He is shedding his hair a lot more, his purring is not normal, he's a lot less aggressive than he used to be, and he doesn't clean himself.

I know he's in bad shape and we haven't had him in to a vet in years. I am just wondering if there is anything we can do to make him more comfortable and if there is any hope in improving his condition.

I'm sorry to hear that Michael is having these problems. There are a number of conditions that older cats can get that can cause the symptoms you described. Some of them are treatable if we get to them early enough so it is a good idea to have your vet do some bloodwork on him.

One possibility is hyperthyroidism. Cats with this condition will tend to eat well but still lose weight.

It is also possible there is a problem with his liver or kidneys. Some of these problems are treatable, but some we can only manage with medications for a short while.

Diabetes is also a possibility especially if he is drinking and urinating a lot.

There are other possibilities as well. Your vet will likely do a thorough exam and some general bloodwork to determine what is going on.

I hope he does ok!

Hip dysplasia and arthritis. Hello, My dog Jasmine is about 13 & 1/2 years old. We live in New York City. I... (12676 views)

Pit Bull doesn't want to walk. Okay, A few minuets ago I went on a walk/jog with my playful Putbull/Lab, I had... (7829 views)

Swollen eye after removal. Hi My 16 month old male pug had his intact left globe removed 10 months ago after... (5914 views)

Dogs eyes are lazy. Within the past 2 days I have noticed my dog's eyes are turing outward, like they... (86469 views)

Dog bleeding from anus. My dog is slightly bleeding from her anus, but it isn't noticeable until she sits... (30294 views)

Can dogs get laryngitis? what is a home remedy for a laryngitis? My dog has had it... (12631 views)

Swollen dog testicles. can dogs get testuculer or prostate cancers? my dog has swollen testicles, and is... (35368 views)

Cloudy eye after an infection hi my dog steve is 8 months old hes a pureb german shepherd, within the last 8weeks... (11187 views)

Cat has a watery eye. Hi, I have spoken with you before about my cat Yoko. She suffers from swollen gums... (11748 views)

53 days pregnant. My daughter got a dachshund from one of her inlaws about three months ago. Shortly... (49517 views)