Severe liver problems.

Breed: Pomerian
I took Dillinger to vet on Friday, and after a blood test and urine analysis the vet told me he had: elevated liver enzyme, anemia, high WBC count, ascities, and high levels of bilirubin in his urine and stool. He gave Dillinger fluids and antibiotics. We returned to vet on Monday and Dillinger was in the same condition. The vet took blood sample and found his WBC count had decreases, but the RBC count had decreased as well. The vet gave home more fluids, cerebia inj, cephalexin inj, and Baytril pills to take twice a day at home. The vet said that Dillinger is in poor condition. He wants to work on the infection and if he responses to the treatment then he will send us to a specialist for liver treatment. Dillinger will not eat, so I feed him baby food, and can walk but not well. He is lethargic but responsive. I am very concern. I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can.

Oh dear. I am sorry to hear that Dillinger is not doing well. It sounds like his liver is very sick.

You have mentioned a number of things that have me concerned. The most concerning are the facts that he has ascites (which is fluid in the abdomen because of a sick liver) and bilirubin in the urine and stool. This means there is definitely something quite serious going on.

It is often hard to know specifically what the problem is when we are dealing with liver disease.

If this were my case, my next step would be to do an ultrasound to look for the possibility of liver cancer. Unfortunately if there is liver cancer there usually is not much that we can do.

The next step, if I wasn't sure, would be to do a biopsy of the liver. Usually, we can do that without an anesthetic and at the same time as the ultrasound. A biopsy may give you a better idea as to what is going on.

I think it is a good idea to start with the medications that your vet has prescribed just in case there is some type of infection. But, I really don't like it when I see ascites in a dog. This usually means there is a very severe problem.

I wish I could give you more promising advice.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks for the reply. The vet wants to see Dillinger Thursday or Friday. He wants to see his progress. I can just hope for the best. Dillinger seems to be resting well and breathing ok. He responds to me when I call him. He also gets up when he want to go outside. Hopefully the meds are working on the infection and we can move forward.

Thanks again.

You're very welcome. I'm praying that he improves soon!

Dog with small pink lump. My dog has a smallish lump on her back which is sort of pinkish in colour but dosn't... (19190 views)

Blood in stool. Hi, this is going to be a really long question so my apologies in advance, but we... (10752 views)

Should surgery be done? I have a female labrador, who is six year old and was nutered when she was 1 year... (6103 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma. Tessa has a little black growth on her eyelid. My vet has said it's a tumor and... (14731 views)

Spot in cat's eye. About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was... (24287 views)

Tramadol not working. He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on... (15200 views)

Is this lump cancer? I noticed yesterday that my babe has a lump about the size of a kiwi on her bottom... (15393 views)

Cat fell from the balcony. HI,Please,i Know i Didnt paid you! But i dont have credit card,and i think my cat... (10109 views)

Puppy with vomiting and diarrhea. i have a 1 month old puppy and she is vomiting, not eating,pooping brown water and... (20541 views)

Incontinent kitten. Hi there! I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at... (11450 views)