Severe liver problems.

Breed: Pomerian
I took Dillinger to vet on Friday, and after a blood test and urine analysis the vet told me he had: elevated liver enzyme, anemia, high WBC count, ascities, and high levels of bilirubin in his urine and stool. He gave Dillinger fluids and antibiotics. We returned to vet on Monday and Dillinger was in the same condition. The vet took blood sample and found his WBC count had decreases, but the RBC count had decreased as well. The vet gave home more fluids, cerebia inj, cephalexin inj, and Baytril pills to take twice a day at home. The vet said that Dillinger is in poor condition. He wants to work on the infection and if he responses to the treatment then he will send us to a specialist for liver treatment. Dillinger will not eat, so I feed him baby food, and can walk but not well. He is lethargic but responsive. I am very concern. I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can.

Oh dear. I am sorry to hear that Dillinger is not doing well. It sounds like his liver is very sick.

You have mentioned a number of things that have me concerned. The most concerning are the facts that he has ascites (which is fluid in the abdomen because of a sick liver) and bilirubin in the urine and stool. This means there is definitely something quite serious going on.

It is often hard to know specifically what the problem is when we are dealing with liver disease.

If this were my case, my next step would be to do an ultrasound to look for the possibility of liver cancer. Unfortunately if there is liver cancer there usually is not much that we can do.

The next step, if I wasn't sure, would be to do a biopsy of the liver. Usually, we can do that without an anesthetic and at the same time as the ultrasound. A biopsy may give you a better idea as to what is going on.

I think it is a good idea to start with the medications that your vet has prescribed just in case there is some type of infection. But, I really don't like it when I see ascites in a dog. This usually means there is a very severe problem.

I wish I could give you more promising advice.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks for the reply. The vet wants to see Dillinger Thursday or Friday. He wants to see his progress. I can just hope for the best. Dillinger seems to be resting well and breathing ok. He responds to me when I call him. He also gets up when he want to go outside. Hopefully the meds are working on the infection and we can move forward.

Thanks again.

You're very welcome. I'm praying that he improves soon!

Peeing in house. My cat has recently started urinating outside of her litter box again. She is about... (8016 views)

Euthanasia difficulties. Well, Kiggy passed away May 21, 2012 after a vet recommended euthanasia. She was 14... (10218 views)

53 days pregnant. My daughter got a dachshund from one of her inlaws about three months ago. Shortly... (49185 views)

Deaf and pooping in house. My cat is now about 15 years old and is in relatively good condition apart from the... (10396 views)

Swollen carpal pad. Dear Dr. Marie: About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our... (27956 views)

Feral cat with problems. There is a a trio of feral cats that we have been feeding, and over the last few... (12181 views)

Gray spot near a dog's penis. My dog has gray spot on the bottom by his penis is this normal? He never had them... (11166 views)

Dog pees when excited. comit had surgery done to remove a hernia and the vets said it was of most good to... (10072 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My cat seems to be ill. It's been a few days that starts sneezing. Now its... (4930 views)

Limping cat. My cat is limping, she is not putting weight on her left hind leg. She isn't cut or... (19914 views)