Bulldog losing hair.

Breed: English Bulldog
hello,
I have a 3 year old english bulldog that has had skin issues since he was about 1.5 years old. He loses hair in circular patches all over his body with flaky dark skin. These are pretty common on his sides at the shoulders, ribs, and rear. He has had an airborne allergy test at 2 years old, which they found nothing to indicate allergy shots. He is also currently on Z/D ultra allergen free diet. Yet these spots still appear on him regularly without any seasonal connection that I can tell. He has chronic ear infections and seems to be constantly itchy on these soars. Just recently he has had some scabs and hair loss on the edges of his ears. In the past the vet has scrapped (many times) for mites on these spots with no indication them. As I'm trying to eliminate possible causes I am left with: Mange/Scabies, skin infection, Endocrine Disease. He is going back to the vet today, but I would like to inform myself as much as possible on the test they need to perform and what the accuracy is of such test. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is a tough question to answer without being able to see your dog, but I'm wondering if this is a seasonal alopecia. (It doesn't actually have to appear at the same season each year to be this.)

Here are some pictures: Seasonal alopecia pictures.

It usually occurs on the flanks but I have seen it happen on other spots of the dog as well.

There are, however, hundreds of other possibilities!

The best advice I can give you is to ask your vet for a biopsy. This really should give you an answer.

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (135125 views)

Guinea Pig Pregnancy info. Hi, i bought a guinea pig from a pet store about a month ago and now, i think shes... (16330 views)

Dog panting at night time. I would like to know if you can tell me why my dog is panting at night time. I have... (316092 views)

Rimadyl and Otomax. Hi, I have a two part question. The first is Rimadyl dosage for an older dog. My... (11848 views)

Cat having back end problems. Hi Dr. Marie, It's Christmas Eve so the vet here is closed. I hope you're able to... (13889 views)

Protein in urine. Hi, My Yorkie is 12 and had smelly pee starting in September 2010. I took a sample... (12329 views)

Limping cat with heart problems. Hudson is a 10 year old indoor house cat. He originally came from a garbage dump in... (16774 views)

Does my cat have a hernia? Hi, My cat was operated on Thursday. My vet suspected that there may have been a... (27066 views)

Cat losing fur on belly. Over the past month my eldest cat has lost a lot of her fur on her belly and back... (87413 views)

Bleeding after biopsy. My dog has been diagnosed with Cancer(hemangiosarcoma). The tiny hole were we... (14306 views)