Bulldog losing hair.

Breed: English Bulldog
hello,
I have a 3 year old english bulldog that has had skin issues since he was about 1.5 years old. He loses hair in circular patches all over his body with flaky dark skin. These are pretty common on his sides at the shoulders, ribs, and rear. He has had an airborne allergy test at 2 years old, which they found nothing to indicate allergy shots. He is also currently on Z/D ultra allergen free diet. Yet these spots still appear on him regularly without any seasonal connection that I can tell. He has chronic ear infections and seems to be constantly itchy on these soars. Just recently he has had some scabs and hair loss on the edges of his ears. In the past the vet has scrapped (many times) for mites on these spots with no indication them. As I'm trying to eliminate possible causes I am left with: Mange/Scabies, skin infection, Endocrine Disease. He is going back to the vet today, but I would like to inform myself as much as possible on the test they need to perform and what the accuracy is of such test. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is a tough question to answer without being able to see your dog, but I'm wondering if this is a seasonal alopecia. (It doesn't actually have to appear at the same season each year to be this.)

Here are some pictures: Seasonal alopecia pictures.

It usually occurs on the flanks but I have seen it happen on other spots of the dog as well.

There are, however, hundreds of other possibilities!

The best advice I can give you is to ask your vet for a biopsy. This really should give you an answer.

Fearful puppy? I just adopted a new puppy from a man who owned a farm. he had a few dogs and they... (6836 views)

Brown spots on puppy's belly. Hi Doctor. I've noticed an area along my puppies belly down to her private area... (43823 views)

Epsom salt vs table salt. hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the... (15249 views)

Do I have rabies? Hiii m rakesh..i was bitten by a dog when i was 18 years old. I dnt know that dog... (9230 views)

Chattering jaw. my 2yr old lhasa apso could just be sitting and his jaw starts to shake non-stop for... (8812 views)

Flea problems. I have a ragdoll cat who weighs 15 lbs. I have tried different types of flea control... (8780 views)

Small pink lump on back. My dog has had a small light pink lump on his back for a little while now. I have... (11306 views)

lump on spay incision Hello Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed 5 days ago. Her incision looks wonderful... (26739 views)

Lesion on cat's neck Hello, My cat had a lesion on his neck, it caused him no obvious pain. I... (7931 views)

Lump on hamster near leg. Hi, My hamster has a pink lump on her right side (Near the front right leg) She... (16035 views)