Bulldog losing hair.

Breed: English Bulldog
hello,
I have a 3 year old english bulldog that has had skin issues since he was about 1.5 years old. He loses hair in circular patches all over his body with flaky dark skin. These are pretty common on his sides at the shoulders, ribs, and rear. He has had an airborne allergy test at 2 years old, which they found nothing to indicate allergy shots. He is also currently on Z/D ultra allergen free diet. Yet these spots still appear on him regularly without any seasonal connection that I can tell. He has chronic ear infections and seems to be constantly itchy on these soars. Just recently he has had some scabs and hair loss on the edges of his ears. In the past the vet has scrapped (many times) for mites on these spots with no indication them. As I'm trying to eliminate possible causes I am left with: Mange/Scabies, skin infection, Endocrine Disease. He is going back to the vet today, but I would like to inform myself as much as possible on the test they need to perform and what the accuracy is of such test. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is a tough question to answer without being able to see your dog, but I'm wondering if this is a seasonal alopecia. (It doesn't actually have to appear at the same season each year to be this.)

Here are some pictures: Seasonal alopecia pictures.

It usually occurs on the flanks but I have seen it happen on other spots of the dog as well.

There are, however, hundreds of other possibilities!

The best advice I can give you is to ask your vet for a biopsy. This really should give you an answer.

Meibomian gland adenoma questions. Hello Dr. Marie, What is the typical procedure to removal meibomian gland... (16918 views)

Pimples around a dog's anus. Hi. My name is Anna and I have a 7 month old, predominantly Rhodesian Ridgeback,... (129607 views)

Is my cat losing weight? My 15 year old male cat looks and feels like he has lost weight. However, his weight... (6704 views)

Staggering Rottweiler I have a nine month old female rottweiler mix. She is eating nutro max dog food. She... (10716 views)

Tumor on a guinea pig. Hi Marie, My daughter's 14 month old guinea pig has a tumor with a thick, scaly... (15293 views)

Hip dysplasia in pupp Hi I have a 13 month old German Shepherd male Havoc. He runs great. Jumps great and... (36082 views)

Hard lump below ribs. My male puppy has a hard lump right below his rib cage (in the center)... is it... (18067 views)

PU surgery on a cat? Hi Dr. Marie , I hope you can help me with my cat, Jack. He is 1 ½ years old and... (10507 views)

Ketoconazole for dogs. How safe is it to give my dog ketoconazole 200 mg tab fur a fungal infection? The... (28798 views)

Can I deworm a nursing female dog? BB is nursing 3 week old pups,can she be wormed while... (43255 views)