Revolution and fleas

Breed: cat
my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated with revolution but we found a few adult fleas on her and gave her a flea bath do we need to worry about the house getting infested?

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Hi and thanks for your question. In most parts of the world both Frontline and Revolution are very good for flea prevention. If there are a lot of fleas, it is not uncommon to see a few live (but slow moving) fleas for 24 hours after applying the Revolution.

You really shouldn't have to worry about treating your house. However, I would highly advise that all of the animals are treated again in one month and again a month after that. This is to take care of any eggs that may have fallen from the kitten onto your carpet or between the cracks of hardwood. The eggs will hatch over the next 1-2 months and seek out a cat or dog in order to get a blood meal so that they can reproduce. However, if they are all treated then the flea will die and you will have broken the cycle.

In some parts of the southern States Revolution seems to be losing its effectiveness. I don't know this for a fact, but I have heard several vets from the southern US say that they are not happy with how Revolution is working. If you are in this area you may want to talk to your vet about adding a medication called CapStar which is really good at killing adult fleas. (You still need to use it in conjunction with one of the monthly products though.)

I wouldn't worry about doing more flea baths. Flea baths are not very effective at getting rid of fleas and sometimes can be toxic to a kitten.

I hope this helps!

Meibomian gland adenoma? This past week Murphy (4 year old Irish Setter) developed what I thought was a small... (232512 views)

Crusty cat nipple. My 8 year old male cats nipple was hard and crusty. I pulled it and it came out and... (66415 views)

Pregnancy symptoms in dogs. Hi Dr Marie My 2.5 yr old OES was bred last week with 1 AI and 5 natural ties. This... (14702 views)

Coughing cat. i have a indoor cat - about 10 years old... she had been staying in our... (11468 views)

Arthritis medicine for dogs. Zoey recently has been having trouble walking. I think it may be her hips? She does... (6578 views)

Where is dog's vulva? My husband resqued a blue tick in the National Forest that was being chased by 2... (52341 views)

Male dog - trouble urinating. Hello! Just recently my dog started peeing everywhere. When he stands up its almost... (30226 views)

How to make cat urinate. is there something we can put in her food to make her... (7814 views)

Increase dog's phenobarb? Hi Marie, My 10 yr old Jack Russell Terrier has been a seizure dog for about 4... (17335 views)

Guinea pig breathing problems. I'm not sure if you can answer this. My Guinea Pig was breathing very loud and fast.... (14667 views)