Revolution and fleas

Breed: cat
my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated with revolution but we found a few adult fleas on her and gave her a flea bath do we need to worry about the house getting infested?

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Hi and thanks for your question. In most parts of the world both Frontline and Revolution are very good for flea prevention. If there are a lot of fleas, it is not uncommon to see a few live (but slow moving) fleas for 24 hours after applying the Revolution.

You really shouldn't have to worry about treating your house. However, I would highly advise that all of the animals are treated again in one month and again a month after that. This is to take care of any eggs that may have fallen from the kitten onto your carpet or between the cracks of hardwood. The eggs will hatch over the next 1-2 months and seek out a cat or dog in order to get a blood meal so that they can reproduce. However, if they are all treated then the flea will die and you will have broken the cycle.

In some parts of the southern States Revolution seems to be losing its effectiveness. I don't know this for a fact, but I have heard several vets from the southern US say that they are not happy with how Revolution is working. If you are in this area you may want to talk to your vet about adding a medication called CapStar which is really good at killing adult fleas. (You still need to use it in conjunction with one of the monthly products though.)

I wouldn't worry about doing more flea baths. Flea baths are not very effective at getting rid of fleas and sometimes can be toxic to a kitten.

I hope this helps!

Seizure or heart problem? My sister is younger and home alone until tomorrow. She called me freaking out about... (14366 views)

Dog died after coughing. Hi, My name is Tania. I had a Maltese/Shih tzu 12 years old. She had a stage one... (10308 views)

Discoid lupus treatment. Hi. I live in rural Peru. After many wrong diagnoses, a vet here diagnosed Diego... (11947 views)

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (20121 views)

Clindamycin overdose? I have been caring for Sox, a feral. Awhile back Sox started coughing on and off... (8960 views)

Chihuahua had a seizure. Hi , my daughter's dog is very tiny weighing just 3.8 lbs. Last night he was on my... (26225 views)

Cat constantly in heat. Hi, I have a cat, she is little less than 2 years old. She is always in heat like 1... (27143 views)

Sudden death in papillon My Doctor, I had a six year old female Papillon. She was in seemingly perfect and... (9311 views)

Shih Tzu is getting old. Edward is 14 years old We have noticed a couple of issues with him lately. About... (30289 views)

Gurgling belly. I'm not sure how long this has been going on as he stays with my mom now. However,... (22411 views)