Revolution and fleas

Breed: cat
my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated with revolution but we found a few adult fleas on her and gave her a flea bath do we need to worry about the house getting infested?

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Hi and thanks for your question. In most parts of the world both Frontline and Revolution are very good for flea prevention. If there are a lot of fleas, it is not uncommon to see a few live (but slow moving) fleas for 24 hours after applying the Revolution.

You really shouldn't have to worry about treating your house. However, I would highly advise that all of the animals are treated again in one month and again a month after that. This is to take care of any eggs that may have fallen from the kitten onto your carpet or between the cracks of hardwood. The eggs will hatch over the next 1-2 months and seek out a cat or dog in order to get a blood meal so that they can reproduce. However, if they are all treated then the flea will die and you will have broken the cycle.

In some parts of the southern States Revolution seems to be losing its effectiveness. I don't know this for a fact, but I have heard several vets from the southern US say that they are not happy with how Revolution is working. If you are in this area you may want to talk to your vet about adding a medication called CapStar which is really good at killing adult fleas. (You still need to use it in conjunction with one of the monthly products though.)

I wouldn't worry about doing more flea baths. Flea baths are not very effective at getting rid of fleas and sometimes can be toxic to a kitten.

I hope this helps!

Lump on neck. My dog has a history of hurting herself in her kennel, and a few days ago I noticed... (16070 views)

Sudden pain in dog. I have a nine year old female black lab mix, Polly. When I adopted her, I was... (4034 views)

Red dots on dog's abdomen. Hello. My dog Biscuit has been having red dots like skin under his abdominal. It... (3956 views)

Stroke or brain tumor? I have been doing a lot of searching on the internet over the weekend and am glad... (7872 views)

Losing weight but lab tests normal. My cat is losing weight, vomiting, more vocal than normal, lethargic and hungry all... (7593 views)

Cat won't use litter box. I have a 7 month old female cat, I have had her vet checked and she has no problems.... (7361 views)

Underweight dog. Dear Dr. Marie, I have three dogs, one of whom, Mushka (mixed breed), has been... (9233 views)

Arthritis medicine I have a 10 month old Pomeranian who appears to have hip problems. I am very low... (5971 views)

Dogs eyes are lazy. Within the past 2 days I have noticed my dog's eyes are turing outward, like they... (71365 views)

Sick after eating Iams ProHealth. My cat has been eating IAMS PROHEALTH and this morning he threw up 4 times and now... (7865 views)