Revolution and fleas

Breed: cat
my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated with revolution but we found a few adult fleas on her and gave her a flea bath do we need to worry about the house getting infested?

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Hi and thanks for your question. In most parts of the world both Frontline and Revolution are very good for flea prevention. If there are a lot of fleas, it is not uncommon to see a few live (but slow moving) fleas for 24 hours after applying the Revolution.

You really shouldn't have to worry about treating your house. However, I would highly advise that all of the animals are treated again in one month and again a month after that. This is to take care of any eggs that may have fallen from the kitten onto your carpet or between the cracks of hardwood. The eggs will hatch over the next 1-2 months and seek out a cat or dog in order to get a blood meal so that they can reproduce. However, if they are all treated then the flea will die and you will have broken the cycle.

In some parts of the southern States Revolution seems to be losing its effectiveness. I don't know this for a fact, but I have heard several vets from the southern US say that they are not happy with how Revolution is working. If you are in this area you may want to talk to your vet about adding a medication called CapStar which is really good at killing adult fleas. (You still need to use it in conjunction with one of the monthly products though.)

I wouldn't worry about doing more flea baths. Flea baths are not very effective at getting rid of fleas and sometimes can be toxic to a kitten.

I hope this helps!

Does cat have cancer? Dear Dr Marie, I am sending this letter in order to ask your advice about the... (11944 views)

8 month old kitten producing milk. Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat... (4818 views)

Best cat foods. One cat is 13 pounds and 7 years old. He is heavy, but it doesn't look or feel like... (4491 views)

Daschund with sore neck. My dog was perfectly fine leading up to and on the day he received his vaccines. He... (7392 views)

Dog died after having diarrhea. My dog Dott is a small Aussie mix, weighing about 28 lbs. She is normally very... (25308 views)

Accidents outside of box. Mt cat is litter box trained and has been since she was around 3 months old. We... (5450 views)

Can an older cat be groomed? I have been getting Lily groomed twice a year since she was 1. She is getting older... (4329 views)

Puppy doesn't want to eat. It has been over a week since my Sheltie has lost her appetite. She hardly touches... (9399 views)

Boxer having seizures. Questions about seizures and MRI. Hello, My question is VERY similar to the... (6881 views)

Swollen foot and death in a dog. I am seeking for an answer what could be the reason my dog can hardly breathe and... (17649 views)