Revolution and fleas

Breed: cat
my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated with revolution but we found a few adult fleas on her and gave her a flea bath do we need to worry about the house getting infested?

Related Article: How to get rid of fleas!

Hi and thanks for your question. In most parts of the world both Frontline and Revolution are very good for flea prevention. If there are a lot of fleas, it is not uncommon to see a few live (but slow moving) fleas for 24 hours after applying the Revolution.

You really shouldn't have to worry about treating your house. However, I would highly advise that all of the animals are treated again in one month and again a month after that. This is to take care of any eggs that may have fallen from the kitten onto your carpet or between the cracks of hardwood. The eggs will hatch over the next 1-2 months and seek out a cat or dog in order to get a blood meal so that they can reproduce. However, if they are all treated then the flea will die and you will have broken the cycle.

In some parts of the southern States Revolution seems to be losing its effectiveness. I don't know this for a fact, but I have heard several vets from the southern US say that they are not happy with how Revolution is working. If you are in this area you may want to talk to your vet about adding a medication called CapStar which is really good at killing adult fleas. (You still need to use it in conjunction with one of the monthly products though.)

I wouldn't worry about doing more flea baths. Flea baths are not very effective at getting rid of fleas and sometimes can be toxic to a kitten.

I hope this helps!

Severe liver problems. I took Dillinger to vet on Friday, and after a blood test and urine analysis the vet... (5166 views)

Cat has fleas. My poor cat has fleas, he is losing hair and is just miserable. I am looking for a... (3702 views)

Infection on leg. My dog has been licking his inner thigh to the point where it is very red and there... (15313 views)

Dog has sore muscles. About 3 months ago, Ruby stopped jumping and running, she seems to be in pain when... (8838 views)

Lump under arm of puppy. We have a 10 week old puppy. He got his first set of vaccinations one week ago. ... (10971 views)

Painful erection My 9 month old dog, Jack, has been getting erections that last up to about 10... (16981 views)

Lethargic after Trifexis. Hello, Thank you for your help. My beagle, Daisy (25 lbs), ate her dose of... (18943 views)

High ALP in a pug. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 7yr old female Pug. She was getting "pyoderma" every few... (27613 views)

Brown spots and hair loss. Hi again Dr. Marie, My 6 year old Golden Retriever is itchy. I noticed that she... (10546 views)

Dog has hotspots from fleas. In August my dog started scratching and biting creating hotspots. She has been... (6722 views)