Fearful Sheltie.

Breed: sheltie
my dog is very nervous of new people and places. she is very nervous and can't focus on me. My vet wants to out her on medication. I do not want her on any drugs.is there anything that can help her calm her nerves? anything naturally? it has to be strong. rescue rememdy did not help. she is very nervous
thanks

I'm sorry to hear that Lilly is having these problems. There are things that can be done to help Lilly, but there is no easy fix for shyness in a dog.

Shelties are often more shy than other breeds. In fact, I have had similar questions before.

In this question, Socializing a fearful Sheltie, I talk about three steps that you can take to help to build up your dog's confidence. These steps will likely help Lilly as well.

Another thing that I have recently become aware of is something called a DAP collar. (I've written an article about Dog appeasing pheromone). I have had some clients try this and it works well! Dog appeasing pheromone is something that is a natural calmer for dogs - similar to Feliway for cats.

It is sometimes hard to find DAP, but I have found that you can buy it online through Amazon:

Note: I, Dr. Marie, will make a small commission if you purchase from Amazon via one of the above links. Recommendations are not based on commissions. The money earned helps keep this website functioning so I can continue to offer good, honest veterinary advice online.

Regarding medication - don't be afraid to give this a try, if this is what your vet is recommending. Often medication can be a great boost to a training program in a case like this. It sounds like your dog would do great on something such as Clomicalm or Reconcile. If this were my case I would likely be prescribing the medication for a few months and then, if it is working well, after a while we could probably wean her off of it.

I hope this helps and I hope she is doing better soon!

Another thing that I have recently become aware of is something called a DAP collar. (Dog appeasing pheromone). I have had some clients try this and it works well! Dog appeasing pheromone is something that is a natural calmer for dogs - similar to Feliway for cats.

why are shelties so shy? Are they all shy? next time, I am going to get a collie. are they shy too?

I wouldn't say that ALL shelties are shy, but a good number of them are. I suppose it is just genetics.

Most collies I have met are not nearly as shy as shelties.

what are some really outgoing breeds?

One of the best things you can do if you're looking for a dog is to go to the humane society/spca and see what kind of mixed breed dogs are there. You want one that is friendly and outgoing and readily comes to you, but not one that is TOO rambunctious.

As for REALLY outgoing breeds, I'd vote for labs and golden retrievers.

Vaginal bleeding in cat. my cat is having vaginal bleeding since early morning, she cannot keep up with... (19287 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur in kitten. I raise and show Devon Rexes. I have a litter of 6 kittens that were 8 weeks old... (9211 views)

Dog pees when someone pets him. Cooper is 5 months old and neutered. He pees when anyone pets him, talks to him or... (5003 views)

Remove lumps? Sammy is an 8 yr old golden from a fairly good breeder. But Cancer is know to be in... (9934 views)

Golden Retriever puppy diarrhea. Dr, All of a sudden last Sunday my 8 week old male Golden had two large stools... (18871 views)

Lump on dog's chest. My dog has a lump on the right side of his chest. (I think it's his chest. It's an... (20270 views)

Reduced appetite in kitten. Hello Dr. Marie, My 6 month old kitten has suddenly started eating less. She... (15980 views)

Lab not eating. My 13 yr old Lab, Dylan, who has NEVER turned her nose up at any kind of food, has... (22085 views)

Peeing in house on lasix. My dog has collapsed trachea and also an enlarged heart that was pressing on his... (13772 views)

Snapping noise in joints. Doctor, We have two labs (chocolate, and black). They love to run, fetch, play, and... (12779 views)