Fearful Sheltie.

Breed: sheltie
my dog is very nervous of new people and places. she is very nervous and can't focus on me. My vet wants to out her on medication. I do not want her on any drugs.is there anything that can help her calm her nerves? anything naturally? it has to be strong. rescue rememdy did not help. she is very nervous
thanks

I'm sorry to hear that Lilly is having these problems. There are things that can be done to help Lilly, but there is no easy fix for shyness in a dog.

Shelties are often more shy than other breeds. In fact, I have had similar questions before.

In this question, Socializing a fearful Sheltie, I talk about three steps that you can take to help to build up your dog's confidence. These steps will likely help Lilly as well.

Another thing that I have recently become aware of is something called a DAP collar. (I've written an article about Dog appeasing pheromone). I have had some clients try this and it works well! Dog appeasing pheromone is something that is a natural calmer for dogs - similar to Feliway for cats.

It is sometimes hard to find DAP, but I have found that you can buy it online through Amazon:

Note: I, Dr. Marie, will make a small commission if you purchase from Amazon via one of the above links. Recommendations are not based on commissions. The money earned helps keep this website functioning so I can continue to offer good, honest veterinary advice online.

Regarding medication - don't be afraid to give this a try, if this is what your vet is recommending. Often medication can be a great boost to a training program in a case like this. It sounds like your dog would do great on something such as Clomicalm or Reconcile. If this were my case I would likely be prescribing the medication for a few months and then, if it is working well, after a while we could probably wean her off of it.

I hope this helps and I hope she is doing better soon!

Another thing that I have recently become aware of is something called a DAP collar. (Dog appeasing pheromone). I have had some clients try this and it works well! Dog appeasing pheromone is something that is a natural calmer for dogs - similar to Feliway for cats.

why are shelties so shy? Are they all shy? next time, I am going to get a collie. are they shy too?

I wouldn't say that ALL shelties are shy, but a good number of them are. I suppose it is just genetics.

Most collies I have met are not nearly as shy as shelties.

what are some really outgoing breeds?

One of the best things you can do if you're looking for a dog is to go to the humane society/spca and see what kind of mixed breed dogs are there. You want one that is friendly and outgoing and readily comes to you, but not one that is TOO rambunctious.

As for REALLY outgoing breeds, I'd vote for labs and golden retrievers.

Beagle Pain Syndrome? My 10 year old beagle in November had an ear infection that caused him to develop... (20975 views)

Limping kitten my kitten has started losing alot of weight and he is limping. his back left paw is... (10909 views)

Swollen feet. hey doctor, i have a weimarner....for the last 1 year he has been continuously... (7820 views)

White spot on dog's nose. sadie has a white spot below her nose right in the middle of the muzzle i can't tell... (34975 views)

Infection after cherry eye surgery? Chewy had successful cherry eye surgery about 3 months ago. Vet has closed. I... (16978 views)

Why did dog die? My dog, Runway, died suddenly early sunday morning, at about 1:00am. I am wondering... (15374 views)

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (10779 views)

Red liquid in rats eyes. My rat has no energy and she has red liquid comimg out her eyes and she is shaking... (12388 views)

Shaking cat. My cat, Misty will be 14 in Aug. The only problems she’s had until recently have... (11982 views)

Tumor or cystitis? I have a 17-year-old male cat (British short hair). He is in good health, eats and... (13603 views)