Fearful Sheltie.

Breed: sheltie
my dog is very nervous of new people and places. she is very nervous and can't focus on me. My vet wants to out her on medication. I do not want her on any drugs.is there anything that can help her calm her nerves? anything naturally? it has to be strong. rescue rememdy did not help. she is very nervous
thanks

I'm sorry to hear that Lilly is having these problems. There are things that can be done to help Lilly, but there is no easy fix for shyness in a dog.

Shelties are often more shy than other breeds. In fact, I have had similar questions before.

In this question, Socializing a fearful Sheltie, I talk about three steps that you can take to help to build up your dog's confidence. These steps will likely help Lilly as well.

Another thing that I have recently become aware of is something called a DAP collar. (I've written an article about Dog appeasing pheromone). I have had some clients try this and it works well! Dog appeasing pheromone is something that is a natural calmer for dogs - similar to Feliway for cats.

It is sometimes hard to find DAP, but I have found that you can buy it online through Amazon:

Note: I, Dr. Marie, will make a small commission if you purchase from Amazon via one of the above links. Recommendations are not based on commissions. The money earned helps keep this website functioning so I can continue to offer good, honest veterinary advice online.

Regarding medication - don't be afraid to give this a try, if this is what your vet is recommending. Often medication can be a great boost to a training program in a case like this. It sounds like your dog would do great on something such as Clomicalm or Reconcile. If this were my case I would likely be prescribing the medication for a few months and then, if it is working well, after a while we could probably wean her off of it.

I hope this helps and I hope she is doing better soon!

Another thing that I have recently become aware of is something called a DAP collar. (Dog appeasing pheromone). I have had some clients try this and it works well! Dog appeasing pheromone is something that is a natural calmer for dogs - similar to Feliway for cats.

why are shelties so shy? Are they all shy? next time, I am going to get a collie. are they shy too?

I wouldn't say that ALL shelties are shy, but a good number of them are. I suppose it is just genetics.

Most collies I have met are not nearly as shy as shelties.

what are some really outgoing breeds?

One of the best things you can do if you're looking for a dog is to go to the humane society/spca and see what kind of mixed breed dogs are there. You want one that is friendly and outgoing and readily comes to you, but not one that is TOO rambunctious.

As for REALLY outgoing breeds, I'd vote for labs and golden retrievers.

Does my cat have glaucoma? About 2 weeks ago, I started noticing that Mietzi's right pupil would always stay... (4799 views)

Lump on dog's lip. I have contacted you several times about my dog, Honey. I tend to over think things,... (66549 views)

Cat won't use litter box. I have a 7 month old female cat, I have had her vet checked and she has no problems.... (8811 views)

Diarrhea with blood Hi Dr. Marie. My dog has had diarrhea for a couple of days. He still seems to be... (12847 views)

Dog is balding. can any1 give advice i got a staff dog male hes 4yrs old over the last 5 days hes... (8157 views)

Vomiting foamy yellow stuff. My Yorki 8 Lb and was throwing up yellow foamy and almost puss like stuff 3 days ago... (17447 views)

Rash in dog's armpits. My boxer has been getting rashes under her front armpits, this is the 4th time it's... (22846 views)

Sudden pain in dog. I have a nine year old female black lab mix, Polly. When I adopted her, I was... (5469 views)

Yellow skin and then died. today my kitten who was a week old and a day past away but when i found him his... (6154 views)

Red bumps on puppy's belly. Hi, our Border Collie puppy has these red bumps on her belly. They are real red and... (74744 views)