Dog drank a mug of hot chocolate.

Breed: minature yorkshire t
what should i do my dog is 2,7 kg and she might die because she is SO small please help! you're my only chance she might survive! she drank my whole mug of hot chocolate please tell me what to do!

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Chocolate Toxicity Calculator
Can my dog eat this?

There is some theobromine in hot chocolate. This is the chemical in chocolate that is toxic to dogs.

One cup of hot chocolate is usually made with less than an ounce of instant cocoa powder. I put these numbers into my chocolate toxicity calculator and for a 2.7 kg dog one ounce of instant cocoa powder can cause severe signs of chocolate toxicity.

You can read here about severe chocolate toxicity.

However, if there was just half an ounce of instant cocoa mix it is expected to cause signs of mild toxicity.

You can read here about mild chocolate toxicity.

I would highly advise that you have your vet look at her immediately to determine whether she is in danger.

Dog ate goat feces. Hello, We had a baby goat that contracted tetanus. Before we knew he was sick, he... (14273 views)

Lump on puppy's neck. Hello Dr. Marie I hope you could choose my question because i'm so worried about my... (17828 views)

Leaking urine after swimming. I have a 5 year old female (spayed) Golden Doodle. We take her swimming several... (30586 views)

Arsenic in Rawhides? I've given my dogs rawhides for years with no problems--usually 1-2/day. They enjoy... (8176 views)

mycoplasma felis respiratory infection Hi. I asked you a question previously about Indigo and I'd really like your... (36977 views)

Liver shunt surgery. Recently I found out that the kitten I adopted a few months ago has a Portosystemic... (9299 views)

Home treatment for abscess. My cat had an abscess I didnt know about until it blew 4 days ago. I have cut away... (9979 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (10785 views)

Bald spots on cat's legs. I moved from Los Angeles to St.Louis with my cat. For a few months now I've noticed... (22323 views)

Kitten panting. My previous cats lived to be 18 yrs, so it's a long time since I had a young one. ... (6902 views)