Dog drank a mug of hot chocolate.

Breed: minature yorkshire t
what should i do my dog is 2,7 kg and she might die because she is SO small please help! you're my only chance she might survive! she drank my whole mug of hot chocolate please tell me what to do!

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Chocolate Toxicity Calculator
Can my dog eat this?

There is some theobromine in hot chocolate. This is the chemical in chocolate that is toxic to dogs.

One cup of hot chocolate is usually made with less than an ounce of instant cocoa powder. I put these numbers into my chocolate toxicity calculator and for a 2.7 kg dog one ounce of instant cocoa powder can cause severe signs of chocolate toxicity.

You can read here about severe chocolate toxicity.

However, if there was just half an ounce of instant cocoa mix it is expected to cause signs of mild toxicity.

You can read here about mild chocolate toxicity.

I would highly advise that you have your vet look at her immediately to determine whether she is in danger.

Cosequin questions Deja has been X-rayed and the vet here has informed me he has arthritis in his left... (12900 views)

Rectovaginal fistula. We have a litter of 4 wk old Doberman puppies being bottle raised because mom was... (10089 views)

Are lumps related to seizures? Hi, Amber is 10 years old. Since she was young she had frequent seizures, as she... (10107 views)

Shedding calicivirus. Hi can I breed from a cat shedding FCV? She has no symptoms but doen't seem to be... (7087 views)

Orange urine in a dog. I have had Moe for two years. He is 17 years old now according to the vet. He... (7681 views)

Papilloma Virus. My seven month old puppy developed papilloma virus warts on his lips and then his... (23174 views)

Coughing puppy. My 3 month old puppy is trying to hack/cough up as if she has something stuck in... (10952 views)

Worms in kittens. Hey there, I just got two 9 week old kittens. They have had their shots but they... (68323 views)

IVDD in Basset Hound? Frank has had a very hard stomach for 2.5 days now and he is not drinking much... (38309 views)

Regular anal gland expression. Hello, I am trying to get some answers about my puppy's anal gland problem. I... (6906 views)