Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Dog drank a mug of hot chocolate.

Species: Dog
Breed: minature yorkshire t
Age: 1-2 years
what should i do my dog is 2,7 kg and she might die because she is SO small please help! you're my only chance she might survive! she drank my whole mug of hot chocolate please tell me what to do!



Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Chocolate Toxicity Calculator
Can my dog eat this?

Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

There is some theobromine in hot chocolate. This is the chemical in chocolate that is toxic to dogs.

One cup of hot chocolate is usually made with less than an ounce of instant cocoa powder. I put these numbers into my chocolate toxicity calculator and for a 2.7 kg dog one ounce of instant cocoa powder can cause severe signs of chocolate toxicity.

You can read here about severe chocolate toxicity.

However, if there was just half an ounce of instant cocoa mix it is expected to cause signs of mild toxicity.

You can read here about mild chocolate toxicity.

I would highly advise that you have your vet look at her immediately to determine whether she is in danger.

I hope she is ok!

Dr. Marie.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Hip dysplasia and arthritis. Hello, My dog Jasmine is about 13 & 1/2 years old. We live in New York City. I... (13944 views)

fleas from puppy We just got a new Puppy. We have had him for a month. Since about 2 weeks after we... (10761 views)

Cat vomits after eating wet food. My cat has been doing this strange thing, but only after she eats wet food. It... (14064 views)

Heartworm treatment. Sam was a rescue, we believe that he is a little over two years old and a pit / lab... (7664 views)

Cat bitten by dog. My cat recently got bit by a dog. he has a huge hole on his left leg kind of toward... (7727 views)

Feral cat with eye infection. We have a feral cat that was born in our yard 5 years ago. When he was a kitten he... (28643 views)

Both dogs having seizures I have 2 dogs. Molly the mixbreed started acting strange about a week ago. not... (12188 views)

Drooling and walking sideways. Last night Sadie started shaking really badly, drooling like crazy and when she... (12101 views)

Not eating, blood tests normal. Hello, Dr. Marie. I'm actually asking this question for my parents about their cat,... (21680 views)

Paraneoplastic syndrome? In 3/2013 after suffering 2 "seizures," Clark was diagnosed with insulinoma from... (7358 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.