Dog drank a mug of hot chocolate.

Breed: minature yorkshire t
what should i do my dog is 2,7 kg and she might die because she is SO small please help! you're my only chance she might survive! she drank my whole mug of hot chocolate please tell me what to do!

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Chocolate Toxicity Calculator
Can my dog eat this?

There is some theobromine in hot chocolate. This is the chemical in chocolate that is toxic to dogs.

One cup of hot chocolate is usually made with less than an ounce of instant cocoa powder. I put these numbers into my chocolate toxicity calculator and for a 2.7 kg dog one ounce of instant cocoa powder can cause severe signs of chocolate toxicity.

You can read here about severe chocolate toxicity.

However, if there was just half an ounce of instant cocoa mix it is expected to cause signs of mild toxicity.

You can read here about mild chocolate toxicity.

I would highly advise that you have your vet look at her immediately to determine whether she is in danger.

Dog is going blind. Blacky is going blind, we have no idea what is causing it , he is a healthy dog,,,... (10792 views)

Cat straining and in pain. Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if... (32003 views)

Panting after insulin. My 6 year old dog was Diagnosed with diabetes 5 months ago. Having some trouble... (52533 views)

Cat died. Dear Doctor Haynes, I started looking after a stray young tomcat (who I presume... (9266 views)

Gunk in cat's eyes. hi my cat has had her vaccination today but now noticed there gunk coming out of her... (9586 views)

Bladder cancer. Our almost 10 year old kitty has had three recurrent bouts of uti or cystitis in the... (8716 views)

Not eating and very weak. Our dog has been quite sick for a bit over a week now. We live on a small island in... (59986 views)

Weakness in back legs and twitching eye. Sophie had had problems with her balance since sunday. Her back legs are weak and... (13065 views)

Swollen neck on cat. My cat was been experiencing avswollen upper neck and underneath chin. It has... (30519 views)

Cat with asthma. My Abby was diagnosed with a respiratory problem similar to asthma and was... (11098 views)