Dog drank a mug of hot chocolate.

Breed: minature yorkshire t
what should i do my dog is 2,7 kg and she might die because she is SO small please help! you're my only chance she might survive! she drank my whole mug of hot chocolate please tell me what to do!

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Chocolate Toxicity Calculator
Can my dog eat this?

There is some theobromine in hot chocolate. This is the chemical in chocolate that is toxic to dogs.

One cup of hot chocolate is usually made with less than an ounce of instant cocoa powder. I put these numbers into my chocolate toxicity calculator and for a 2.7 kg dog one ounce of instant cocoa powder can cause severe signs of chocolate toxicity.

You can read here about severe chocolate toxicity.

However, if there was just half an ounce of instant cocoa mix it is expected to cause signs of mild toxicity.

You can read here about mild chocolate toxicity.

I would highly advise that you have your vet look at her immediately to determine whether she is in danger.

Dog has split her nail. my dog has a toe nail that is split. it is causing her alot of pain. what do we do... (8557 views)

Dog sick after eating apricots. Yesterday I found Poppy and my other Aussie eating apricots from the neighbors... (21065 views)

Sick shih tzu Hello, I have a question about my 2 and a half year old shit-zu. yesterday, after... (15308 views)

Homemade chicken jerky treats for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, If you do choose to answer my questions, I thank you so much in... (5406 views)

Drooling and twitching. My 8 week old Mini American Eskimo has been drooling excessively all day. The... (13409 views)

Skin lesions on dog's face. HI, my Chikita has been having some skin trouble and cant exactly figure out what it... (5690 views)

Tail fell off. My dog wrapped her tail up in a chain and the other day it fell off. She continues... (10441 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Buster was throwing up for over two weeks. I had him to an emergency pet hospital,... (22750 views)

Heart enlargement? Hi I have a female terrier dog, Fido and she is 9 years old. Couple of months ago my... (5999 views)

yellow colored diarrhea We have had this puppy for about 2 weeks. The puppies were about 5 weeks when the... (11733 views)