Dog drank a mug of hot chocolate.

Breed: minature yorkshire t
what should i do my dog is 2,7 kg and she might die because she is SO small please help! you're my only chance she might survive! she drank my whole mug of hot chocolate please tell me what to do!

Related Articles written by Dr. Marie:

Chocolate Toxicity Calculator
Can my dog eat this?

There is some theobromine in hot chocolate. This is the chemical in chocolate that is toxic to dogs.

One cup of hot chocolate is usually made with less than an ounce of instant cocoa powder. I put these numbers into my chocolate toxicity calculator and for a 2.7 kg dog one ounce of instant cocoa powder can cause severe signs of chocolate toxicity.

You can read here about severe chocolate toxicity.

However, if there was just half an ounce of instant cocoa mix it is expected to cause signs of mild toxicity.

You can read here about mild chocolate toxicity.

I would highly advise that you have your vet look at her immediately to determine whether she is in danger.

Chihuahua has back problem. Hi! One of my four chihuahuas, Ginger, has been having a back problem for a while... (10363 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog has a hard time standing up from the sitting position. Occasionally, he will... (10997 views)

Pug died suddenly. My 8 year old female pug just died. My husband came home from work and she had... (22734 views)

Health problems. WE DO NEED A QUICK ANSWER, BUT IN CASE DOG WILL HANG ON, HERE GOES: 10 YRS OLD... (7418 views)

Older cat with diarrhea Gizzy has Diarrhea most all the time and it smells really bad She used to throw up... (9441 views)

Anxious cat - medicine? Hello, My Cat Guen shows MANY attention seeking behaviors. She chews chords,... (19708 views)

Hydrocode side effect? My dog is a 16-1/2 year old Wheaten who has had two seizures at a groomers. I took... (6811 views)

Anisocoria in 15 year old cat. Taz is 15 years old. For the past couple weeks I have noticed that her right eye is... (5489 views)

Prozac for submissive peeing? My Morkie is 2 1/2 years old. I rescued her at 6 mos. she is aggressive and also... (5811 views)

Muscle tremors and distemper. I have an around 4 - 6 month old puppy who was a street dog in Dharamsala India. She... (11078 views)