Cut cat's skin while grooming.

Breed: Maine Coon Mix
Help Dr. Marie!
While cutting away a clump of matted hair from behind my kitty's ear, I cut too close and took off a layer of skin in a small circumference about the size of my pinkie finger tip end (maybe a little > 1/8") . It is not bleeding but you can see the layer beneath the layer I cut away. She did not express any pain, which is why I didn't know I did it until I was cleaning up the fur. She is out and about like usual but I feel absolutely terrible!! I called a vet and he suggested I put peroxide on it and let it air dry and to call or bring her in if it looks infected or starts oozing something. What do you think? (all vets are closed now) :(

thanks!

Oh, I am sorry to hear that this happened. First of all, if it helps at all, this happens quite commonly.

It's hard to say for sure without seeing Maggie, but usually for a small wound like this, I would do nothing. It really should heal on its own.

I don't usually clean with peroxide unless the wound is really dirty, which it shouldn't be.

If you start noticing over the next few days that it is oozing a yellow or green discharge or really bothersome then she may need to see the vet for antibiotics.

My dog twisted her back. Dear Dr. Marie, Hope you are well. I was contacting you in hopes that you could... (38797 views)

Biting at cysts. I have a 13 yr old cocker who has a lot of fatty cysts, she has had them for several... (10043 views)

Swollen feet. hey doctor, i have a weimarner....for the last 1 year he has been continuously... (8442 views)

Older cat coughing. My cat is heaving like she has a hairball, but nothing is coming up. She is still... (19560 views)

Sick shih tzu Hello, I have a question about my 2 and a half year old shit-zu. yesterday, after... (16291 views)

Licking at foot. About 4 years ago we had one front dewclaw removed, after ruby caught it on... (12641 views)

Kennel cough not getting better. Hello, My English bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with Kennel cough. He has had... (14165 views)

Flaky skin. Samson has flakey skin that is most obvious on his back toward the tail and under... (19741 views)

Allergies or URTI? I was looking at the questions on cats, but couldn't find one that was close to what... (10370 views)

Lethargic after dentistry. Our 3 year old Sheltie was at our local vet yesterday for some shots and to get his... (37876 views)