Cut cat's skin while grooming.

Breed: Maine Coon Mix
Help Dr. Marie!
While cutting away a clump of matted hair from behind my kitty's ear, I cut too close and took off a layer of skin in a small circumference about the size of my pinkie finger tip end (maybe a little > 1/8") . It is not bleeding but you can see the layer beneath the layer I cut away. She did not express any pain, which is why I didn't know I did it until I was cleaning up the fur. She is out and about like usual but I feel absolutely terrible!! I called a vet and he suggested I put peroxide on it and let it air dry and to call or bring her in if it looks infected or starts oozing something. What do you think? (all vets are closed now) :(

thanks!

Oh, I am sorry to hear that this happened. First of all, if it helps at all, this happens quite commonly.

It's hard to say for sure without seeing Maggie, but usually for a small wound like this, I would do nothing. It really should heal on its own.

I don't usually clean with peroxide unless the wound is really dirty, which it shouldn't be.

If you start noticing over the next few days that it is oozing a yellow or green discharge or really bothersome then she may need to see the vet for antibiotics.

My dog ate goose poop. Dr, Max was walking in the park today and picked up what I believe was an old... (109259 views)

Dog has hotspots from fleas. In August my dog started scratching and biting creating hotspots. She has been... (8859 views)

Sluggish Boxer My Boxer got sluggish on the 20th of March so we took him to the vets. They did... (8920 views)

Is Okra toxic to dogs? Without thinking, I gave my dog a small amount (appx 1/4 cup) of oven fried... (59348 views)

Problems after enema. Hello. Our 2 year old cat has had two bouts with constipation that required a... (33213 views)

7 week old puppies have fleas. my puppy is getting eatin alive by fleas he is only 7 weeks old and is a very tiny... (10241 views)

Gagging dog. Last night, my dog was in his crate for bed, when I heard him gag for the first... (95647 views)

Chronic cat diarrhea. I had emailed you several times regarding my cat Bandit in December and January.... (7345 views)

Rimadyl and liver problems. Hi Dr. Marie Last night my dog sustained some type of injury to himself while... (8832 views)

Overgrooming cat. I RESCUED THE CAT FROM THE STREETS 10 MONTHS AGO. HES 20 POUNDS, EATS WELL, I GIVE... (10132 views)