Cut cat's skin while grooming.

Breed: Maine Coon Mix
Help Dr. Marie!
While cutting away a clump of matted hair from behind my kitty's ear, I cut too close and took off a layer of skin in a small circumference about the size of my pinkie finger tip end (maybe a little > 1/8") . It is not bleeding but you can see the layer beneath the layer I cut away. She did not express any pain, which is why I didn't know I did it until I was cleaning up the fur. She is out and about like usual but I feel absolutely terrible!! I called a vet and he suggested I put peroxide on it and let it air dry and to call or bring her in if it looks infected or starts oozing something. What do you think? (all vets are closed now) :(

thanks!

Oh, I am sorry to hear that this happened. First of all, if it helps at all, this happens quite commonly.

It's hard to say for sure without seeing Maggie, but usually for a small wound like this, I would do nothing. It really should heal on its own.

I don't usually clean with peroxide unless the wound is really dirty, which it shouldn't be.

If you start noticing over the next few days that it is oozing a yellow or green discharge or really bothersome then she may need to see the vet for antibiotics.

Brown spot on lip of dog. Greetings, I have noticed that my cat has problem with her mouth. On the lower... (10634 views)

Trifexis overdose. My dog ate 4 tablets of Trifexis today. He seems a little quieter than usual. ... (62725 views)

Accident in bed. Hi Dr. Marie, I am writing to you because Max (who normally sleeps in our bed at... (9232 views)

Rest for cruciate tears. Is there any unequivical, clinical evidence of a positive effect of... (10712 views)

Dog eats grass and vomits Hi Marie! My Germen Spitz(male) eats some grass while he is out and vomits.Avoids... (9219 views)

Should I do these tests? I have two shih tzu's from the same litter. They were born on 1/29/09, so they are... (15303 views)

Chances of getting rabies from my dog? My wife was recently bit by my dog. My dog has battled allergies and likes to lick... (35871 views)

Cancerous growth in dog's mouth? Hi, I have just spotted a growth in my dogs mouth. What does mouth cancer look like... (12907 views)

Brown spots on puppy's belly. Hi Doctor. I've noticed an area along my puppies belly down to her private area... (43181 views)

Best flea preventive for cats. Bella is an indoor/outdoor cat; free to roam during the day, but we keep her in at... (4844 views)