Cut cat's skin while grooming.

Breed: Maine Coon Mix
Help Dr. Marie!
While cutting away a clump of matted hair from behind my kitty's ear, I cut too close and took off a layer of skin in a small circumference about the size of my pinkie finger tip end (maybe a little > 1/8") . It is not bleeding but you can see the layer beneath the layer I cut away. She did not express any pain, which is why I didn't know I did it until I was cleaning up the fur. She is out and about like usual but I feel absolutely terrible!! I called a vet and he suggested I put peroxide on it and let it air dry and to call or bring her in if it looks infected or starts oozing something. What do you think? (all vets are closed now) :(

thanks!

Oh, I am sorry to hear that this happened. First of all, if it helps at all, this happens quite commonly.

It's hard to say for sure without seeing Maggie, but usually for a small wound like this, I would do nothing. It really should heal on its own.

I don't usually clean with peroxide unless the wound is really dirty, which it shouldn't be.

If you start noticing over the next few days that it is oozing a yellow or green discharge or really bothersome then she may need to see the vet for antibiotics.

Eucalyptus for fleas. I was washing my 8week old puppy and pored a large amount of Eucalyptus Oil on him..... (14387 views)

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (9528 views)

Feral cat with problems. There is a a trio of feral cats that we have been feeding, and over the last few... (12324 views)

Dog is licking where he was neutered. my dog is licking where he was neutered 3 years ago help asap... (7828 views)

Itchy between anus and penis. My dog is licking/scratching a lot in the area between his anus and his penis. It's... (31796 views)

Carnassial tooth slab fracture. Hello Dr. Marie! Thanks for offering this service! My 3 year old dog has... (11237 views)

Parvo virus vaccine question. can dogs get parvo even if they are vaccinated?... (9593 views)

Vomiting dog Hi Marie, Our dog is a 5 year old Lhasa male (entire).Which we bought to China with... (21377 views)

Tumor or cystitis? I have a 17-year-old male cat (British short hair). He is in good health, eats and... (12195 views)

Can't close mouth. Hi! My cat is 21 years old. Just recently its like his lower jaw has shifted to the... (11156 views)