Cut cat's skin while grooming.

Breed: Maine Coon Mix
Help Dr. Marie!
While cutting away a clump of matted hair from behind my kitty's ear, I cut too close and took off a layer of skin in a small circumference about the size of my pinkie finger tip end (maybe a little > 1/8") . It is not bleeding but you can see the layer beneath the layer I cut away. She did not express any pain, which is why I didn't know I did it until I was cleaning up the fur. She is out and about like usual but I feel absolutely terrible!! I called a vet and he suggested I put peroxide on it and let it air dry and to call or bring her in if it looks infected or starts oozing something. What do you think? (all vets are closed now) :(

thanks!

Oh, I am sorry to hear that this happened. First of all, if it helps at all, this happens quite commonly.

It's hard to say for sure without seeing Maggie, but usually for a small wound like this, I would do nothing. It really should heal on its own.

I don't usually clean with peroxide unless the wound is really dirty, which it shouldn't be.

If you start noticing over the next few days that it is oozing a yellow or green discharge or really bothersome then she may need to see the vet for antibiotics.

Different pupil sizes in older cat. I recently noticed that my cat's irises don't match... one is opened wide, the other... (25855 views)

Any problems after inguinal hernia surgery? I purchased a yorkie 2months old who recently had a inguinao hernia surgery and i... (11212 views)

Do allergy wipes work? Do cat wipes work for people who are allergic to feline dander? Are the wipes... (10780 views)

Cat drooling a lot. emmy has started to drool as of last night. she is drooling a lot. she has never... (156049 views)

Sores around vulva. Hi Dr. Marie, I would like a second opinion on my dog's health issue. She is a 4... (57885 views)

Cat losing hair. I have 4 cats and they are all indoors. I realize that cats can get fleas even when... (67928 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hi Dr. Marie! Spanky is 5 years old and very healthy. His energy is good and, as... (36869 views)

Dog shedding. Why is our dog shedding so... (8790 views)

Cancer in a cat's chest. Hi there, I hope this wont be too long, but I want to provide the history of the... (9168 views)

Fishy smelling urine. Hi - my dog Bluebell has had a fishy smell to her urine for quite some time and... (28428 views)