Is ginger safe for dogs?

Breed: schnauzer minature
I make dog biscuits to sell at craft shows and with xmas coming up sooner than we realize i want to make gingerbread shaped cookies but first i need to know if ginger is safe for a dog..........thanks Jane

Well that's in interesting question!

I have to admit that I wasn't completely sure of the answer, so I did some research for you on VIN (which is a place where tens of thousands of vets discuss veterinary issues.)

There are a number of vets that recommend giving ginger to dogs who have issues with nausea. (Whether or not it works for that purpose is still debatable. I know ginger did not help me when I had morning sickness during pregnancy!)

I found no evidence at all that ginger was toxic to dogs. It is perfectly safe for you to use in dog treats.

What I can't tell you though is whether or not dogs like ginger. I would definitely try a test batch out on some hungry dogs first before mass producing! :)

I hope you sell lots of cookies at the craft shows!

Itchy by tail Dr. Marie, my dog always kind of chews/bites/scratches under the right side of his... (6153 views)

Male dog lost weight when female in heat. My American Bulldog male always loses weight when our female goes into heat because... (19282 views)

Dog ate staples My dog may have ingested 4 staples last night around midnight. She is acting... (37566 views)

Eye and ear infections. My dog was diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago. We are giving her Humulin N. ... (12258 views)

High ALP in a pug. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 7yr old female Pug. She was getting "pyoderma" every few... (30636 views)

Vaccinate against parvo? Chester is about 10 weeks he was a stray he now has Parvo but I think recovering at... (4308 views)

Fly a puppy in cargo? Hi Dr Marie. We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg.... (4657 views)

Green and black teeth. My Basenji is 14 years old, has green/black teeth in the back. He has started... (12017 views)

Bladder stones again. Hi there My cat had 100% blockage of urethra in Sept 2009, and underwent PU... (10439 views)

Blood in stool. hi lucky just went poop outside and he did liquidy bright red blood iam not sure... (41090 views)