Is ginger safe for dogs?

Breed: schnauzer minature
I make dog biscuits to sell at craft shows and with xmas coming up sooner than we realize i want to make gingerbread shaped cookies but first i need to know if ginger is safe for a dog..........thanks Jane

Well that's in interesting question!

I have to admit that I wasn't completely sure of the answer, so I did some research for you on VIN (which is a place where tens of thousands of vets discuss veterinary issues.)

There are a number of vets that recommend giving ginger to dogs who have issues with nausea. (Whether or not it works for that purpose is still debatable. I know ginger did not help me when I had morning sickness during pregnancy!)

I found no evidence at all that ginger was toxic to dogs. It is perfectly safe for you to use in dog treats.

What I can't tell you though is whether or not dogs like ginger. I would definitely try a test batch out on some hungry dogs first before mass producing! :)

I hope you sell lots of cookies at the craft shows!

Trifexis side effects I just read your article about Trifexis and was very disturbed. We have three... (7008 views)

Dentistry on older cat. My cat, who is a 19 year old spayed male we have had his entire life is fairly... (14247 views)

Dog has heart failure. Hello, I am considering adopting a special needs dog. He is 3 and has a grade 3... (6829 views)

Bad breath in dog. My dog is 12 yrs old and has very bad breath. I lost my husband 21/2 yrs ago and I... (16950 views)

Dog has wound under arm. I was wondering how I would go about dressing an area on my dog under her arm? It... (9172 views)

Leave light on for dog? Is it necessary to leave the lights on for your dog when you go out in the evening... (33938 views)

Cat died suddenly. 10-11-2010 Dear Dr Marie, almost exactly similar to the post:... (23165 views)

Severe arthritis. Hi Dr. Marie, My sweet Murphys is displaying weakness in hind legs, (they... (6501 views)

Should I get a guinea pig? Dear Dr. Marie, I live in Seattle, Washington, USA. I'm interested in having two... (7911 views)

Clavaseptin and diarrhea. My puppy recently had to spend a night at the vet, we are pretty sure he just ate... (14347 views)