Is ginger safe for dogs?

Breed: schnauzer minature
I make dog biscuits to sell at craft shows and with xmas coming up sooner than we realize i want to make gingerbread shaped cookies but first i need to know if ginger is safe for a dog..........thanks Jane

Well that's in interesting question!

I have to admit that I wasn't completely sure of the answer, so I did some research for you on VIN (which is a place where tens of thousands of vets discuss veterinary issues.)

There are a number of vets that recommend giving ginger to dogs who have issues with nausea. (Whether or not it works for that purpose is still debatable. I know ginger did not help me when I had morning sickness during pregnancy!)

I found no evidence at all that ginger was toxic to dogs. It is perfectly safe for you to use in dog treats.

What I can't tell you though is whether or not dogs like ginger. I would definitely try a test batch out on some hungry dogs first before mass producing! :)

I hope you sell lots of cookies at the craft shows!

Stroke or brain tumor? I have been doing a lot of searching on the internet over the weekend and am glad... (9767 views)

Swollen carpal pad. Dear Dr. Marie: About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our... (25882 views)

Bumps near mouth and chin. My cat has some bumps near his mouth and they are red and itchy. Do you know what... (14836 views)

Questions about Feliway. Am interested in buying Feliway for scratching but need to know the ingredients.... (15343 views)

Kitten has diarrhea my kitten is 8-10 weeks old...shes been on dry food now for about 3 weeks. was on... (4328 views)

Blood in puppy's poo. Hi Dr Marie. We have just bought an adorable little puppy from a farmer. Since we... (5758 views)

Pink lump on puppy's belly. Dr, I noticed a wart-like bump on Max's abdomen. I am sending along... (73432 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur. Hello, my 12 year old beagle just recently went into the vet for a check up and the... (11139 views)

Dog toe xray. I took my dog Cooper to the vet last week and he believed he had a bone... (19479 views)

Thinking of getting a malamute. hi, i currently have a malchi. he is part maltese part chihuahua. i have been... (8592 views)