Is ginger safe for dogs?

Breed: schnauzer minature
I make dog biscuits to sell at craft shows and with xmas coming up sooner than we realize i want to make gingerbread shaped cookies but first i need to know if ginger is safe for a dog..........thanks Jane

Well that's in interesting question!

I have to admit that I wasn't completely sure of the answer, so I did some research for you on VIN (which is a place where tens of thousands of vets discuss veterinary issues.)

There are a number of vets that recommend giving ginger to dogs who have issues with nausea. (Whether or not it works for that purpose is still debatable. I know ginger did not help me when I had morning sickness during pregnancy!)

I found no evidence at all that ginger was toxic to dogs. It is perfectly safe for you to use in dog treats.

What I can't tell you though is whether or not dogs like ginger. I would definitely try a test batch out on some hungry dogs first before mass producing! :)

I hope you sell lots of cookies at the craft shows!

Stop barking at other dogs. hello when my dog is in the yard, she will bark at other dogs passing. she is a... (4182 views)

Dog won't eat. HELP! Starting I think Thursday or Friday Max ate but was easily distracted. I'd... (21631 views)

Pocket pets and cats. I have been considering adding a small pocket pet as a companion to my home. I... (2911 views)

Is my cat pregnant? How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if... (9765 views)

Connection between dandruff and diabetes? My pet has recently been diagnosed with Diabetes. She is on 5 units of insulin 2x... (13016 views)

urinating in the house Dr. Marie, Isabella is a healthy 13 yr old female cat. For a short period we... (5853 views)

Abscess on paw. has a very swollen front paw that spilt open between middle toes puss and blood ... (41727 views)

Is vet just trying to make money? I have 3 cats aged 3, 4 and 7. Lately every time I walk into my DVM's off ice I... (7087 views)

Cat's stomach making noises My cat's stomach has been making noises today including gurgling and rumbling. This... (170948 views)

Long term use of Clavasceptin Dear Dr Marie, Our puppy (5 months old) was diagnosed as having a kidney... (7947 views)