Sick after neuter.

Breed: Lab
On March 26, 2012 I took my two dogs and my friend’s dog to get spayed and neutered at a local spayed/neutered clinic. A week later all three caught kennel cough. I was told if they were eating, drinking and acting normal they should be okay. They were acting normal except for the cough. Now my lab has been vomiting since yesterday 04/16/2012 and last night he had bright red bloody diarrhea. He was not able to hold down water yesterday, but today 24 hours later he has been able to keep liquids down. The reason I am asking you and not going to the vet is because I called the clinic, they said him vomiting and diarrhea had nothing to do with the neutering or kennel cough and to get him to a vet. I got info of a low cost clinic from them and called. They will not see him without $500 up front. I am having this problem with 3 other vets that I called. I explained that I have $200 right now and will have more Friday on payday. I am told to wait till payday. Is there any hope that he may make it that long? Could he have pneumonia? He is drinking water and I was going to give him some broth but I don’t want to make it worst. Will pedialyte help him?
Thank you for your answer,
Brenda

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Bubba is having problems. This is a tough case!

Vomiting and diarrhea and not normally associated with kennel cough. I have seen some dogs with kennel cough that look like they're vomiting when actually they are coughing so fiercely that they make themselves vomit. But, if this were the case, it doesn't explain the diarrhea.

There are a great number of things that can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Is Bubba fully vaccinated? If not, I would be really worried that he has picked up a serious virus like parvo virus. He possibly picked this up at the spay neuter clinic.

It's also possible that he's dealing with a serious parasite issue. Or he could have eaten a foreign object (which is common for a lab). Or, he could have gotten in the the garbage or had too many treats perhaps.

Blood in the stool isn't always something to be extremely worried about. It can mean that there is inflammation in the colon which can be the result of either stress or of eating something unusual. However, if the stool is very watery, and again if he is not fully vaccinated, then parvo virus can cause very bloody watery diarrhea.

I'm surprised that you need to pay $500 up front to have him seen. That sounds unusual. You may want to call some additional clinics. Even if you can't afford to do blood tests or xrays they should be able to get him some medication to help his symptoms. Additionally, they can help you decide whether he is sick enough to need hospital care.

I don't like to wait too long with a dog who is vomiting several times per day as he really has a risk of getting dehydrated and then he will be even sicker.

Pedialyte (unsweetened) is not going to hurt, but in a lab, it's going to take an awful lot to actually combat dehydration. You're likely not going to make much difference.

If you really can't get him to a vet, then I would give him small amounts of water as frequently as possible. The goal is to see how much he can tolerate without vomiting. Feeding ice cubes can help as well. If he goes several hours without vomiting you can try feeding small amounts of cooked chicken and rice which are both easy on his intestines.

I hope he feels better soon!

Let me know if you have more questions.

Time for euthanasia? My dog Juliet is 12 1/2 years old. She is a black lab with Addison's disease which... (13698 views)

Dog is shaking I can't afford to bring my dog to the vet. I would like to know my dog has a lack of... (80805 views)

Dog can't bark. I just recent spayed my dog this summer and i recently noticed that her bark sounds... (22831 views)

Did I cause my cat's brain injuries? hi ya i was playing with my cat and it scrap me bad so i slapped him on the head he... (18537 views)

Scabs on cat's back. For a couple of months now, I’ve noticed my cat has been trying to scratch her... (173606 views)

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (21239 views)

Dog has a bald patch over eye. Hello, I have a miniature Dashchund which is 5 mnths old and she is in perfect... (13775 views)

Ear infection. Fred has been miserable. I have tried what i know to do. He has had a ear infection... (6870 views)

Can I give my cat milk? Hi, could you please tell me if I can give my ragdoll kitten scrambled eggs made... (9138 views)

Backward sneezing and drooling. Firstly I am doing this om my iPhone . I can get email but can not send so please... (16413 views)