Weakness in back legs and twitching eye.

Breed: pug cross maltese te
Sophie had had problems with her balance since sunday. Her back legs are weak and she is walking sideways. She has difficulty eating and I have to hand feed her. One eye is turned down and the other is twitching. The vet said that he thinks it is neurological and prescribed steroid tabs. This was a few days ago and no improvement. Do you think it would be worthwhile to get her referred to a veterinary hospital with specialist equipment.

Hi,

First of all, I'm so sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have a two week old baby and my schedule is not the greatest right now! I admit I forgot about my questions yesterday.

I'm really concerned about the symptoms that you have mentioned with Sophie. It certainly does sound like something neurological but I can't say that I can think of any common diseases that would cause these exact symptoms.

My first thought, with her breed mix, is that a back issue such as a disc problem is very likely. This can explain the weak back legs and walking sideways. But, it wouldn't cause the eye problems. Steroid tablets would probably be what I would do in a case like this as well.

I have seen similar things in dogs that have gotten into some type of recreational drugs. If that is at all possible then I would mention it to your vet.

I've also seen similar symptoms in dogs that have eaten something with a toxic mold on it such as mushrooms.

If the symptoms are not improving at all within 24 hours then I think it's not a bad idea to see a neurologist. They will be more likely to be able to diagnose unusual things such as an infection in the spinal cord or a parasite such as neospora or toxoplasmosis. (Both of these are very uncommon though.)

I wish I could add more information...these are unusual symptoms indeed!

Thanks Dr Marie. Dont worry I know what it is like with a new baby, surprised you can get ant time to work. There is no chance that Sophie has eaten any drugs but there are mushrooms growing outside. She is not improved and I am going to ask for a referral to a neurologist. The kids would be devastated if she didnt get better.

Regards

Marguerite

Regards

Marguerite

Drooling and twitching. My 8 week old Mini American Eskimo has been drooling excessively all day. The... (12258 views)

First heat cycle in dogs. when do chiuahuahs have their first heat... (7979 views)

OK to keep cats in a small room? I am concerned for two cats that I know. They live in a house where they are... (4579 views)

Kitten diarrhea. my cat is having diarrhea and is growing weak everyday. he's feces have mucus and he... (8669 views)

Hair loss in patches. Hi we live in a remote community up near Darwin in Australia. Four weeks ago we took... (8555 views)

Large blister on ear. MY DOG HAS WHAT LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE A LARGE WATER BLISTER ON HIS EAR WHAT COULD IT... (16494 views)

Flaky skin. Samson has flakey skin that is most obvious on his back toward the tail and under... (15878 views)

Spinning on bum. my 8yr old female jack russell sits down and puts her head in the air and spins... (41300 views)

Straining to urinate. bella acts like she has to urinate all the time. when she squats very little comes... (8095 views)

Information on parvo virus. Hello dr., I am a senior in high school doing a senior project and my topic... (16465 views)