Weakness in back legs and twitching eye.

Breed: pug cross maltese te
Sophie had had problems with her balance since sunday. Her back legs are weak and she is walking sideways. She has difficulty eating and I have to hand feed her. One eye is turned down and the other is twitching. The vet said that he thinks it is neurological and prescribed steroid tabs. This was a few days ago and no improvement. Do you think it would be worthwhile to get her referred to a veterinary hospital with specialist equipment.

Hi,

First of all, I'm so sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have a two week old baby and my schedule is not the greatest right now! I admit I forgot about my questions yesterday.

I'm really concerned about the symptoms that you have mentioned with Sophie. It certainly does sound like something neurological but I can't say that I can think of any common diseases that would cause these exact symptoms.

My first thought, with her breed mix, is that a back issue such as a disc problem is very likely. This can explain the weak back legs and walking sideways. But, it wouldn't cause the eye problems. Steroid tablets would probably be what I would do in a case like this as well.

I have seen similar things in dogs that have gotten into some type of recreational drugs. If that is at all possible then I would mention it to your vet.

I've also seen similar symptoms in dogs that have eaten something with a toxic mold on it such as mushrooms.

If the symptoms are not improving at all within 24 hours then I think it's not a bad idea to see a neurologist. They will be more likely to be able to diagnose unusual things such as an infection in the spinal cord or a parasite such as neospora or toxoplasmosis. (Both of these are very uncommon though.)

I wish I could add more information...these are unusual symptoms indeed!

Thanks Dr Marie. Dont worry I know what it is like with a new baby, surprised you can get ant time to work. There is no chance that Sophie has eaten any drugs but there are mushrooms growing outside. She is not improved and I am going to ask for a referral to a neurologist. The kids would be devastated if she didnt get better.

Regards

Marguerite

Regards

Marguerite

High ALT in a dog. Autumn went to the vet on Sept 29, 2013 with a problem jumping and walking on... (21137 views)

Worms in vomit. My dog threw up a yellow substance and it had worm like creatures I it what should I... (11587 views)

Dog has teeth stuck in her cheek. i noticed my dogs mouth was bleeding a little bit while we were playing so i opened... (13052 views)

Older cat missing litter box. My 18 year old male cat is getting into the liter box and urinating on the floor... (17567 views)

Lump under eye. Hello Marie My yellow lab "Lucy" has developed a hard lump one inch under her left... (53021 views)

Vomiting while in heat. Is it normal for a female dog coming out of heat to be... (24936 views)

Sentry Pro Flea and Tick Shampoo Hi Dr. Marie, Last night around 8 pm I gave my dog a bath with Sentry Pro flea... (27029 views)

Not eating or using litter box. about 4 or 5 days ago my cat stopped eating and using the bethroom for about 2 days.... (15885 views)

Dog ate moldy corn. My 4 month old, 20 lb. standard poodle may have eaten very moldy creamed corn from a... (49149 views)

Bladder surgery? How painful/stressful is bladder surgery for a fearful barn cat? A few days ago I... (19178 views)