Weakness in back legs and twitching eye.

Breed: pug cross maltese te
Sophie had had problems with her balance since sunday. Her back legs are weak and she is walking sideways. She has difficulty eating and I have to hand feed her. One eye is turned down and the other is twitching. The vet said that he thinks it is neurological and prescribed steroid tabs. This was a few days ago and no improvement. Do you think it would be worthwhile to get her referred to a veterinary hospital with specialist equipment.

Hi,

First of all, I'm so sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have a two week old baby and my schedule is not the greatest right now! I admit I forgot about my questions yesterday.

I'm really concerned about the symptoms that you have mentioned with Sophie. It certainly does sound like something neurological but I can't say that I can think of any common diseases that would cause these exact symptoms.

My first thought, with her breed mix, is that a back issue such as a disc problem is very likely. This can explain the weak back legs and walking sideways. But, it wouldn't cause the eye problems. Steroid tablets would probably be what I would do in a case like this as well.

I have seen similar things in dogs that have gotten into some type of recreational drugs. If that is at all possible then I would mention it to your vet.

I've also seen similar symptoms in dogs that have eaten something with a toxic mold on it such as mushrooms.

If the symptoms are not improving at all within 24 hours then I think it's not a bad idea to see a neurologist. They will be more likely to be able to diagnose unusual things such as an infection in the spinal cord or a parasite such as neospora or toxoplasmosis. (Both of these are very uncommon though.)

I wish I could add more information...these are unusual symptoms indeed!

Thanks Dr Marie. Dont worry I know what it is like with a new baby, surprised you can get ant time to work. There is no chance that Sophie has eaten any drugs but there are mushrooms growing outside. She is not improved and I am going to ask for a referral to a neurologist. The kids would be devastated if she didnt get better.

Regards

Marguerite

Regards

Marguerite

Fly a puppy in cargo? Hi Dr Marie. We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg.... (5351 views)

Nursing cat has no milk. she has difficulty producing milk; one time losing milk early, the second she... (10450 views)

Tums for calcium? Missy is pregnant with her second litter. She developed a calcium deficiency and... (17816 views)

Puppy has a broken leg. Dear Marie, I have 9 weeks old Pomeranian. She broke her right front leg. She is... (38778 views)

Golden Retriever puppy diarrhea. Dr, All of a sudden last Sunday my 8 week old male Golden had two large stools... (18962 views)

Kennel cough in pregnant dog. My dog just started very mild reverse sneeze/sneezing and slight runny nose I'm... (16863 views)

Kennel cough not getting better. Hello, My English bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with Kennel cough. He has had... (11734 views)

Hamster hair loss. Hello, My daughters hamster keeps loosing big patches of his fur and also his eyes... (10137 views)

Bladder cancer. Our almost 10 year old kitty has had three recurrent bouts of uti or cystitis in the... (5728 views)

Puppy vomiting with blood. my puppy was born on december 18, she was born a normal pup but now she and her... (8146 views)