Weakness in back legs and twitching eye.

Breed: pug cross maltese te
Sophie had had problems with her balance since sunday. Her back legs are weak and she is walking sideways. She has difficulty eating and I have to hand feed her. One eye is turned down and the other is twitching. The vet said that he thinks it is neurological and prescribed steroid tabs. This was a few days ago and no improvement. Do you think it would be worthwhile to get her referred to a veterinary hospital with specialist equipment.

Hi,

First of all, I'm so sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have a two week old baby and my schedule is not the greatest right now! I admit I forgot about my questions yesterday.

I'm really concerned about the symptoms that you have mentioned with Sophie. It certainly does sound like something neurological but I can't say that I can think of any common diseases that would cause these exact symptoms.

My first thought, with her breed mix, is that a back issue such as a disc problem is very likely. This can explain the weak back legs and walking sideways. But, it wouldn't cause the eye problems. Steroid tablets would probably be what I would do in a case like this as well.

I have seen similar things in dogs that have gotten into some type of recreational drugs. If that is at all possible then I would mention it to your vet.

I've also seen similar symptoms in dogs that have eaten something with a toxic mold on it such as mushrooms.

If the symptoms are not improving at all within 24 hours then I think it's not a bad idea to see a neurologist. They will be more likely to be able to diagnose unusual things such as an infection in the spinal cord or a parasite such as neospora or toxoplasmosis. (Both of these are very uncommon though.)

I wish I could add more information...these are unusual symptoms indeed!

Thanks Dr Marie. Dont worry I know what it is like with a new baby, surprised you can get ant time to work. There is no chance that Sophie has eaten any drugs but there are mushrooms growing outside. She is not improved and I am going to ask for a referral to a neurologist. The kids would be devastated if she didnt get better.

Regards

Marguerite

Regards

Marguerite

Bump under eye - tooth abscess My dog has had an abscess on her face for a while, under her eye, but it hasn't... (15231 views)

Blood in puppy's poo. Hi Dr Marie. We have just bought an adorable little puppy from a farmer. Since we... (6383 views)

Crusty spots on hamsters. I recently got three baby dwarf hamsters from a friend. The smallest one Runt had a... (13997 views)

lump on ear In the last couple weeks a bump on the tip of my dogs ear has shown up. We have been... (9198 views)

One puppy in litter died. I had five yookiepoo pups. One has died. Yesterday was the first day that it acted... (15290 views)

Does my dog have rabies? How likely in your experience will my puppy get rabies if one of her litter mates... (8534 views)

Yorkie has tartar on teeth. I have recently noticed that masey has tartar buildin up on her teeth, iv gave her... (7878 views)

Connection between dandruff and diabetes? My pet has recently been diagnosed with Diabetes. She is on 5 units of insulin 2x... (15015 views)

Occult blood in urine. Hi Dr. Marie This is in regard to Oreo, I dont know if you recall our situation... (10496 views)

4 year old cat not eating. My 4 year old cat, who normally is a great eater, isn't eating much at all. She... (6343 views)