Weakness in back legs and twitching eye.

Breed: pug cross maltese te
Sophie had had problems with her balance since sunday. Her back legs are weak and she is walking sideways. She has difficulty eating and I have to hand feed her. One eye is turned down and the other is twitching. The vet said that he thinks it is neurological and prescribed steroid tabs. This was a few days ago and no improvement. Do you think it would be worthwhile to get her referred to a veterinary hospital with specialist equipment.

Hi,

First of all, I'm so sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have a two week old baby and my schedule is not the greatest right now! I admit I forgot about my questions yesterday.

I'm really concerned about the symptoms that you have mentioned with Sophie. It certainly does sound like something neurological but I can't say that I can think of any common diseases that would cause these exact symptoms.

My first thought, with her breed mix, is that a back issue such as a disc problem is very likely. This can explain the weak back legs and walking sideways. But, it wouldn't cause the eye problems. Steroid tablets would probably be what I would do in a case like this as well.

I have seen similar things in dogs that have gotten into some type of recreational drugs. If that is at all possible then I would mention it to your vet.

I've also seen similar symptoms in dogs that have eaten something with a toxic mold on it such as mushrooms.

If the symptoms are not improving at all within 24 hours then I think it's not a bad idea to see a neurologist. They will be more likely to be able to diagnose unusual things such as an infection in the spinal cord or a parasite such as neospora or toxoplasmosis. (Both of these are very uncommon though.)

I wish I could add more information...these are unusual symptoms indeed!

Thanks Dr Marie. Dont worry I know what it is like with a new baby, surprised you can get ant time to work. There is no chance that Sophie has eaten any drugs but there are mushrooms growing outside. She is not improved and I am going to ask for a referral to a neurologist. The kids would be devastated if she didnt get better.

Regards

Marguerite

Regards

Marguerite

Swelling above dog's eye. This morning I noticed redness and swelling of my dog's upper eyelid. I gave him one... (21095 views)

Dog drinks every 20 minutes. I have a 10 year old chihuahua and she is drinking alot of water...she is eating... (14739 views)

Gentamycin and deafness? Hope you can help with my question. I have a 11 year old cat named Emma, that has... (3654 views)

Swelling on dog's face. Hi the right side of my 6 year old boxer boy's face has swelled up - looks like he... (48718 views)

Time for euthanasia? My dog Juliet is 12 1/2 years old. She is a black lab with Addison's disease which... (11670 views)

Dog not urinating after neuter. Hi dr just wondering if you could help me. My 1year old American Akita diesel had... (32400 views)

Stroke or brain tumor? I have been doing a lot of searching on the internet over the weekend and am glad... (7889 views)

Dog with swollen shoulder. There is something wrong with one side of my dogs shoulder. It looks swollen but if... (14771 views)

Bumps near mouth and chin. My cat has some bumps near his mouth and they are red and itchy. Do you know what... (13250 views)

Dog's eye blue and purple. hi my dog annebell has a giant blister in eye yesterday it was small so i didnt... (10635 views)