Constantly meowing for food.

Breed: Mix
Two years ago, we adopted a stray cat that was living in the bushes outside our condo. We took him to the vet at the time for a checkup and he was all clear. When he lived outside, I believe most of his food came from friendly people in the neighborhood offering him treats or cat food.

Since we adopted him, he has developed what appears to be an anxiety around food. Throughout the day he will follow us around and meow at us until we feed him. Then he is quiet for a little while before repeating the cycle. When we are actually feeding him, he will follow you from the food container to the bowl and meow loudly the entire time.

Late in the day, when everyone is settled in the living room, he is calm and will even fall asleep. The anxiety appears to be focused on us as we move around the house.

Is there anything that can be done to calm him down? We have tried ignoring him. Is this an anxiety that can be treated with drugs? We aren\'t above that at this point.

FYI - we have one other cat and both are fixed. Thanks!

Hmmm....this is an interesting question. I can't say that I have ever seen a cat have anxiety because of food. However, I'm wondering if this is really anxiety? It sounds to me like the cat is actually training you to just feed him all the time.

The meowing when you are bringing food to the container really doesn't sound like an anxiety behavior. Rather, this is probably an excitement about the food that is coming!

It's tough to know how to advise you here. I think there are a few possible ways that you can go.

First of all, it is important to make sure this isn't a medical issue. I've seen cats do this if they have a dental problem. What happens is that the cat is hungry and asks for food, and then when food is given, he can only eat a little bit before the dental issue causes him pain. So, he stops eating, but then a few minutes later he is hungry again so he asks for food again. So, for this reason it would be good to have your vet check him out.

If his weight is on the low side, it's possible he has some sort of metabolic issue that is causing him to always be hungry.

If it does seem to be a behavioral issue there are a few things that can be done. The first would be to completely ignore him and tough it out for several weeks. So, you would give him food in the morning and then NO ONE is allowed to give him food till mid day and then again, completely ignore him until supper time. The first few days that you do this he will likely drive you bonkers with meowing, but if this is a behavioral issue then within a week he should start to get the message.

You could also talk to your vet about a behavior modifying drug such as Reconcile to help in this transition time.

I hope that helps!

Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky. Has anyone had a problem with Nature’s Deli chicken Jerky Dog Treats (from Denver,... (8416 views)

Redo rabies vaccine? Can a dog get a rabies shot twice? I am waiting for the previous owners to get me... (29446 views)

Increase in dog's thirst and urination. My dog has been acting fuuny the past few nights he wakes me up 2-3 times a night to... (10468 views)

Dog has an upset stomach. Hi, (again) Dr. Marie: For the past week, Jammy has been having an upset stomach... (12761 views)

Give half pill of Iverhart? I purchased Iverhart Plus heartworm pills for dogs up to 25 pounds. Since my two... (11887 views)

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (22314 views)

Draining fluid for heart failure. My dog has Congestive Heart Failure. He is under the care of a veterinarian and... (22455 views)

Sardine treats for my cat. Is this recipe for cat treats safe for my cat? 3/4 cup dry, whole wheat bread... (8907 views)

Pancreatic enzymes. How do we handle a situation when we unexpectely temporaryly are without the... (10370 views)

Cat has scabs and dry skin. Any home treatment for scabs/dry skin for cats on their head, chin, and neck? I put... (14357 views)