Constantly meowing for food.

Breed: Mix
Two years ago, we adopted a stray cat that was living in the bushes outside our condo. We took him to the vet at the time for a checkup and he was all clear. When he lived outside, I believe most of his food came from friendly people in the neighborhood offering him treats or cat food.

Since we adopted him, he has developed what appears to be an anxiety around food. Throughout the day he will follow us around and meow at us until we feed him. Then he is quiet for a little while before repeating the cycle. When we are actually feeding him, he will follow you from the food container to the bowl and meow loudly the entire time.

Late in the day, when everyone is settled in the living room, he is calm and will even fall asleep. The anxiety appears to be focused on us as we move around the house.

Is there anything that can be done to calm him down? We have tried ignoring him. Is this an anxiety that can be treated with drugs? We aren\'t above that at this point.

FYI - we have one other cat and both are fixed. Thanks!

Hmmm....this is an interesting question. I can't say that I have ever seen a cat have anxiety because of food. However, I'm wondering if this is really anxiety? It sounds to me like the cat is actually training you to just feed him all the time.

The meowing when you are bringing food to the container really doesn't sound like an anxiety behavior. Rather, this is probably an excitement about the food that is coming!

It's tough to know how to advise you here. I think there are a few possible ways that you can go.

First of all, it is important to make sure this isn't a medical issue. I've seen cats do this if they have a dental problem. What happens is that the cat is hungry and asks for food, and then when food is given, he can only eat a little bit before the dental issue causes him pain. So, he stops eating, but then a few minutes later he is hungry again so he asks for food again. So, for this reason it would be good to have your vet check him out.

If his weight is on the low side, it's possible he has some sort of metabolic issue that is causing him to always be hungry.

If it does seem to be a behavioral issue there are a few things that can be done. The first would be to completely ignore him and tough it out for several weeks. So, you would give him food in the morning and then NO ONE is allowed to give him food till mid day and then again, completely ignore him until supper time. The first few days that you do this he will likely drive you bonkers with meowing, but if this is a behavioral issue then within a week he should start to get the message.

You could also talk to your vet about a behavior modifying drug such as Reconcile to help in this transition time.

I hope that helps!

Bone cancer in leg. Hello My cat is 13 years old he was always a big cat and then became a big fat cat.... (13785 views)

Dog licking anus after vaccines. The day after a routine vax appt with a new vet, our dog suddenly began licking her... (9160 views)

Ear cartilage broken. someone has broke the cartridge in my dogs ear by rubbing them hard. what can i do... (18896 views)

Loud noises from belly. I recently noticed loud noises coming from my 14 year old ragdolls tummy. She does... (7860 views)

Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor Two years ago, Sheena was diagnosed with neurofibrosarcoma, or peripheral nerve... (11320 views)

Itchy ears and bum. My dog keeps scratching at her ears and shakes her head a lot. I clean her ears and... (12888 views)

Red sores on mouth. My dog has developed sores or bubbley looking things round her mouth. They get... (12515 views)

Vomiting foamy yellow stuff. My Yorki 8 Lb and was throwing up yellow foamy and almost puss like stuff 3 days ago... (16381 views)

Methamphetamine use by dog. "My dog has mental breakdown in which he acts like he is on drugs. he runs in... (13874 views)

Orange urine and trouble walking. my dog is a rottweiler not sure if he is a cross or not and unsure off the age but... (7169 views)