Constantly meowing for food.

Breed: Mix
Two years ago, we adopted a stray cat that was living in the bushes outside our condo. We took him to the vet at the time for a checkup and he was all clear. When he lived outside, I believe most of his food came from friendly people in the neighborhood offering him treats or cat food.

Since we adopted him, he has developed what appears to be an anxiety around food. Throughout the day he will follow us around and meow at us until we feed him. Then he is quiet for a little while before repeating the cycle. When we are actually feeding him, he will follow you from the food container to the bowl and meow loudly the entire time.

Late in the day, when everyone is settled in the living room, he is calm and will even fall asleep. The anxiety appears to be focused on us as we move around the house.

Is there anything that can be done to calm him down? We have tried ignoring him. Is this an anxiety that can be treated with drugs? We aren\'t above that at this point.

FYI - we have one other cat and both are fixed. Thanks!

Hmmm....this is an interesting question. I can't say that I have ever seen a cat have anxiety because of food. However, I'm wondering if this is really anxiety? It sounds to me like the cat is actually training you to just feed him all the time.

The meowing when you are bringing food to the container really doesn't sound like an anxiety behavior. Rather, this is probably an excitement about the food that is coming!

It's tough to know how to advise you here. I think there are a few possible ways that you can go.

First of all, it is important to make sure this isn't a medical issue. I've seen cats do this if they have a dental problem. What happens is that the cat is hungry and asks for food, and then when food is given, he can only eat a little bit before the dental issue causes him pain. So, he stops eating, but then a few minutes later he is hungry again so he asks for food again. So, for this reason it would be good to have your vet check him out.

If his weight is on the low side, it's possible he has some sort of metabolic issue that is causing him to always be hungry.

If it does seem to be a behavioral issue there are a few things that can be done. The first would be to completely ignore him and tough it out for several weeks. So, you would give him food in the morning and then NO ONE is allowed to give him food till mid day and then again, completely ignore him until supper time. The first few days that you do this he will likely drive you bonkers with meowing, but if this is a behavioral issue then within a week he should start to get the message.

You could also talk to your vet about a behavior modifying drug such as Reconcile to help in this transition time.

I hope that helps!

Kitten nursing on my neck. why does my 8 to 10 month old kitty keep trying to suckle at my neck. He will not... (12016 views)

Cat can't poop. hi am afraid it is a mega colon my cat is not giving any stool , although he is... (13384 views)

Cat is burnt on belly. My cat seems to have a burnt patch on her belly. I don't know if this is from... (7973 views)

Vet is pushing veterinary foods. I have a new to me vet who is insistent on my giving my cats 'veterinary' food. My... (5352 views)

Golden retriever coughing. This weekend I was dog sitting for my dad's three dogs while he was out of town.... (8334 views)

Fleas on a newborn kitten. My cat just had kittens and they have fleas. What can I do to get rid of fleas on... (5511 views)

Peeing outside of box. My cat is spayed female,indoor/outdoor as she wishes. She will defecate in litter... (5733 views)

Chronic and acute kidney disease. My dog is a 3 and half year old toy poodle. About 3 month before, he was diagnosed... (7406 views)

Questions from a student? I have a grade 6 student doing a research project on Veteranarians. Could she use... (5935 views)

Defecating out of her vagina. We found Clara abandoned next to our house a few days ago. Yesterday we found out... (6935 views)