Bumps near mouth and chin.

Breed: Short haired cat
My cat has some bumps near his mouth and they are red and itchy. Do you know what they are?

Hi there Angela! Thanks for your question!

I just have some questions for you before I answer:

How long has Harry had these bumps?
Are they mostly on his chin?
How large are they?
How is his appetite?

Wow...thanks for your fast reply. Yes, the bumps are mostly under his chin, like below the bottom front teeth if that makes sense. They are about 1mm big and they are itchy because he scratches at them. He is eating well.

It sounds like your cat has something called feline acne.

The good news is that this is generally not anything serious. We don't know why cats get this, but sometimes it can be related to the type of food dish he eats from. Some cats will react to plastic food dishes. Also, it is important to make sure his dish is cleaned well every day.

However, some cats just get this and we don't know why.
Cleaning the area with a warm cloth each day will help. If your cat will allow it you can apply a warm compress to the area for a few minutes a few times a day. They often also respond to benzoyl peroxide. You can buy the pads (like oxy-pads) that teenagers use for their face, and use this to clean the area daily.

Sometimes chin acne gets infected, so if things aren't improving he will need to see the vet for antibiotics.

I never thought of using those pads! Thanks I will give that a try!

Cat pooping in the house. Princess has recently started pooping around the house (about 2 months). I have had... (21700 views)

Cat straining and in pain. Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if... (25827 views)

How often to give Benadryl? Lola always has a little bit of a breathing issue b/c of her short snout and I have... (8237 views)

Pancreatitis My dog had an exploratory Lap. done 3 days ago to rule out a foreign body. She had... (14580 views)

Pit bull has bald patches. Hi, we have beeen to the vet three different times and he still breaking out and... (4405 views)

Lifespan of a rat? What is the average lifespan of a rat? My rat is 3 years old and very healthy. Is... (6177 views)

Feline acne? Dr. Marie, About a week ago I noticed a small grayish black nodule on my cat's... (25135 views)

Poop caked on bum. I saw that my dog was acting stangely, so I examined him and saw that his bottom is... (21640 views)

Bald patches on cats. I have twin cats, brother and sister. They are indoor cats and both overweight. They... (6981 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. My wife and I left for a 24 day holiday. Three of our kids remained at home. Our... (20245 views)