Bumps near mouth and chin.

Breed: Short haired cat
My cat has some bumps near his mouth and they are red and itchy. Do you know what they are?

Hi there Angela! Thanks for your question!

I just have some questions for you before I answer:

How long has Harry had these bumps?
Are they mostly on his chin?
How large are they?
How is his appetite?

Wow...thanks for your fast reply. Yes, the bumps are mostly under his chin, like below the bottom front teeth if that makes sense. They are about 1mm big and they are itchy because he scratches at them. He is eating well.

It sounds like your cat has something called feline acne.

The good news is that this is generally not anything serious. We don't know why cats get this, but sometimes it can be related to the type of food dish he eats from. Some cats will react to plastic food dishes. Also, it is important to make sure his dish is cleaned well every day.

However, some cats just get this and we don't know why.
Cleaning the area with a warm cloth each day will help. If your cat will allow it you can apply a warm compress to the area for a few minutes a few times a day. They often also respond to benzoyl peroxide. You can buy the pads (like oxy-pads) that teenagers use for their face, and use this to clean the area daily.

Sometimes chin acne gets infected, so if things aren't improving he will need to see the vet for antibiotics.

I never thought of using those pads! Thanks I will give that a try!

Trouble having bowel movements. ok so my pug has pooping weird lately. almost every time he goes he wines and runes... (5409 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia in kittens. hi, my cat recently had kittens, their are four kittens, two cant walk or barely... (18752 views)

Puppy not eating. why isn't my minature pincher puppy not eatting? i tried to feed him myself but he... (8402 views)

Flea problems. I have a ragdoll cat who weighs 15 lbs. I have tried different types of flea control... (8797 views)

Not eating or using litter box. about 4 or 5 days ago my cat stopped eating and using the bethroom for about 2 days.... (13913 views)

Pug died suddenly. My 8 year old female pug just died. My husband came home from work and she had... (23896 views)

Palliative care vs. euthanasia? Hello. First let me say that this turned out to be long and probably rambling. ... (11311 views)

Still has roundworms. My 2-year-old cat, Oliver, has been having a problem with roundworms. He was born... (13953 views)

Dog losing weight. my king charles is losing weight, ive tried al different kinds of wet and dry food... (7455 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in puppy. Lady is almost 5 months now, she's a typical Aussie puppy. She lives with me, my... (6872 views)