Bumps near mouth and chin.

Breed: Short haired cat
My cat has some bumps near his mouth and they are red and itchy. Do you know what they are?

Hi there Angela! Thanks for your question!

I just have some questions for you before I answer:

How long has Harry had these bumps?
Are they mostly on his chin?
How large are they?
How is his appetite?

Wow...thanks for your fast reply. Yes, the bumps are mostly under his chin, like below the bottom front teeth if that makes sense. They are about 1mm big and they are itchy because he scratches at them. He is eating well.

It sounds like your cat has something called feline acne.

The good news is that this is generally not anything serious. We don't know why cats get this, but sometimes it can be related to the type of food dish he eats from. Some cats will react to plastic food dishes. Also, it is important to make sure his dish is cleaned well every day.

However, some cats just get this and we don't know why.
Cleaning the area with a warm cloth each day will help. If your cat will allow it you can apply a warm compress to the area for a few minutes a few times a day. They often also respond to benzoyl peroxide. You can buy the pads (like oxy-pads) that teenagers use for their face, and use this to clean the area daily.

Sometimes chin acne gets infected, so if things aren't improving he will need to see the vet for antibiotics.

I never thought of using those pads! Thanks I will give that a try!

Anisocoria in 15 year old cat. Taz is 15 years old. For the past couple weeks I have noticed that her right eye is... (6064 views)

Cat with a cold. My cat has a cold, and i was wondering if there is anything i can do at home for her... (17511 views)

Coughing kitten. I have a 6 wk old rescued kitten who in the past 2 days has developed a horrible... (13953 views)

Not eating, losing weight. My cat is 12 years old and has recently shown a lack of appetite, weight loss and... (5055 views)

Dog diarrhea problems. Hi Dr, This is an update to a previous question. Max is over 10 wks old now... (35983 views)

Getting a second guinea pig. So I have a male guinea pig and one of my friends can't keep hers so she is gonna... (8109 views)

Seizure or heart problem? My sister is younger and home alone until tomorrow. She called me freaking out about... (12756 views)

Dog drinks every 20 minutes. I have a 10 year old chihuahua and she is drinking alot of water...she is eating... (17023 views)

Can an older cat be groomed? I have been getting Lily groomed twice a year since she was 1. She is getting older... (4617 views)

Lethargic dog. The last 3 days, Duke has become very lethargic, laying around and just sleeping. ... (29523 views)