Bumps near mouth and chin.

Breed: Short haired cat
My cat has some bumps near his mouth and they are red and itchy. Do you know what they are?

Hi there Angela! Thanks for your question!

I just have some questions for you before I answer:

How long has Harry had these bumps?
Are they mostly on his chin?
How large are they?
How is his appetite?

Wow...thanks for your fast reply. Yes, the bumps are mostly under his chin, like below the bottom front teeth if that makes sense. They are about 1mm big and they are itchy because he scratches at them. He is eating well.

It sounds like your cat has something called feline acne.

The good news is that this is generally not anything serious. We don't know why cats get this, but sometimes it can be related to the type of food dish he eats from. Some cats will react to plastic food dishes. Also, it is important to make sure his dish is cleaned well every day.

However, some cats just get this and we don't know why.
Cleaning the area with a warm cloth each day will help. If your cat will allow it you can apply a warm compress to the area for a few minutes a few times a day. They often also respond to benzoyl peroxide. You can buy the pads (like oxy-pads) that teenagers use for their face, and use this to clean the area daily.

Sometimes chin acne gets infected, so if things aren't improving he will need to see the vet for antibiotics.

I never thought of using those pads! Thanks I will give that a try!

Duck jerky making dogs sick? If chicken strips (jerky) might be a problem, what about duck? I have bags of both... (6869 views)

Missing hamster teeth. My hamster completely lost her bottom teeth and i dont know what to do. i searched... (14244 views)

Watery eyes. Minnie's eyes are very watery, she can't seem to keep them open and her nose is... (10712 views)

Coughing chihuahua My chihuahua has had an intermittent cough since roughly last year when she had most... (15021 views)

Green penile discharge. Hi, I have a 7 month old alaskan malamute. I have noticed that he has green... (16947 views)

Brown spots on dog's belly. In the last 5 weeks, I've noticed some skin spots on my 3 year old Yorkshire... (33561 views)

Painful dog. I apologize in advance for this being so long, but I want to give the history so you... (8276 views)

Limping cat. We have an outside cat who is about 12 years old. Up until recently she has looked... (8416 views)

Bloated abdomen in hamster. Hi....our pet hamster buddy is extremely bloated. We have had him for a year and a... (81422 views)

Large lymph nodes. I spoke with you on sunday night about my shih tzu., I brought him to the vet on... (23398 views)