Bumps near mouth and chin.

Breed: Short haired cat
My cat has some bumps near his mouth and they are red and itchy. Do you know what they are?

Hi there Angela! Thanks for your question!

I just have some questions for you before I answer:

How long has Harry had these bumps?
Are they mostly on his chin?
How large are they?
How is his appetite?

Wow...thanks for your fast reply. Yes, the bumps are mostly under his chin, like below the bottom front teeth if that makes sense. They are about 1mm big and they are itchy because he scratches at them. He is eating well.

It sounds like your cat has something called feline acne.

The good news is that this is generally not anything serious. We don't know why cats get this, but sometimes it can be related to the type of food dish he eats from. Some cats will react to plastic food dishes. Also, it is important to make sure his dish is cleaned well every day.

However, some cats just get this and we don't know why.
Cleaning the area with a warm cloth each day will help. If your cat will allow it you can apply a warm compress to the area for a few minutes a few times a day. They often also respond to benzoyl peroxide. You can buy the pads (like oxy-pads) that teenagers use for their face, and use this to clean the area daily.

Sometimes chin acne gets infected, so if things aren't improving he will need to see the vet for antibiotics.

I never thought of using those pads! Thanks I will give that a try!

Vomiting pregnant cat. hello dr.vet my cat was with a male 2 weeks ago yesterday she started to vomit 5... (8550 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting. My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My... (11495 views)

Gradual change of food? Hello, I reside in South Korea and I am the father of 3 cocker spaniels. Recently... (11541 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Hi, I'm desperate to find out how to help my dog. 9 days ago (Monday night) she woke... (28968 views)

Diabetes and IBD. Hi Dr. Marie- This one is long and complicated, but hopefully it makes sense! I... (11658 views)

Parvo recovery. I'M LOOKING AT A PUP THAT IS RECOVERING FROM PARVO. WHAT IS THE RECOVERY TIME AND... (28069 views)

Does parvo affect sperm? My dog, Moose, had Parvo Virus when he was eight months old. Yes, Moose got Parvo... (13104 views)

Drooling and not eating. My female cat, Patches, has been with me since I was young. She has never been to a... (17039 views)

Pink growths on chest of dog. Sometime in the past 4 weeks my dog has developed small string like pink growths on... (18159 views)

Ultrasonic noise deterrents for cats? do devices that omit a 124db ultrasonic burst of sound work as a cat deterrent... (12259 views)