Cat licking his fur.

Breed: Tuxedo male
Good evening,

My 4 year old tuxedo cat has always been quite special (he meows alot and plays fetch with headbands). Anyway, he's always had dry skin and his fit has a large amount of dander. Within thr past few months he has been licking himsel excessively to the point where he has now lost all of his fur on his stomach, and his hind inner legs ad well as a chunk on his side. At first the vet thought it was a hot patch so they treated it with cordazone shot and steroids. It didn't help for more than a week. He's had flea baths, fleas medicine from the vet and I even flea bombed the house. As of now he doesn't appear to have fleas but he keeps losing his fur. I changed his food thinking that would help but it didnt. I feel horrible because he seems in pain when he constantly licks himself and scratches. I'm not sure what could be wrong. He's been to the vet over 3-5 times now. Please help so my little man can feel better. Thank you so much

Aaryn

Oh the poor guy! It sounds like a frustrating case especially considering you have been to the vet so many times!

I won't be able to give you a diagnosis but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

It's not uncommon to have a cat overgroom the legs and belly because of "stress". I say stress in quotes because often these cats live a life that to us looks perfectly stress free. Sometimes putting these cats on some type of anti-anxiety medication such as Amitriptylline or Reconcile can make a big difference. Often the medication is only short term and once the skin is back to normal we can wean the cat off of medicine.

Another thing to ask your vet about is the possibility of a parasite called Demodex. I used to think that Demodex in cats was quite rare, or something that was only seen in the southern US. However, it can be seen in many parts of the world and often goes misdiagnosed. Demodex is diagnosed by having your vet do a skin scraping.

Does Levy have lesions (like raw red spots or areas of skin?). If so this may be some sort of an eosinophilic plaque. These usually do respond to steroids but I have had some cats that need to have several steroid shots two weeks apart in order to be treated completely.

The next step as I see it would be to ask your vet to do a biopsy of the affected areas of skin. This almost always gives us a reason for what is going on and then we should know exactly how to treat it.

I hope things improve soon!

Should I neuter him? My male chihuahua follows my female Lhasa Apso all around the house. The Lhasa does... (5961 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog, Ace, passed away on Thursday, July 5th. We live in the midwest and had been... (10867 views)

Cat urinating on bed. Good Morning Over the past two days my cat has decided to urinate on my bed. His... (14656 views)

In heat and shaking her head. My dog has been vomiting and had diarrhea for the last 2-3 days. She has been in... (4344 views)

Dog scared of people. Hi My dog is very scared of people. she is a year old and has been scared of new... (9727 views)

Do dogs get chicken pox? Hi my dog star has never had skin problems but recently my kids got chicken pox and... (47219 views)

Cat with asthma. My Abby was diagnosed with a respiratory problem similar to asthma and was... (7095 views)

Basset Hound whining. My basset has seemed to be more whiny latley than usual. I felt around his joints... (8356 views)

Dog or cat pooping in house. Everyday – twice a day – morning and when I get home from work –... (17343 views)

Lethargic shih tzu My dog came home from the cottage this weekend and is acting very odd. He walks a... (22539 views)