Cat licking his fur.

Breed: Tuxedo male
Good evening,

My 4 year old tuxedo cat has always been quite special (he meows alot and plays fetch with headbands). Anyway, he's always had dry skin and his fit has a large amount of dander. Within thr past few months he has been licking himsel excessively to the point where he has now lost all of his fur on his stomach, and his hind inner legs ad well as a chunk on his side. At first the vet thought it was a hot patch so they treated it with cordazone shot and steroids. It didn't help for more than a week. He's had flea baths, fleas medicine from the vet and I even flea bombed the house. As of now he doesn't appear to have fleas but he keeps losing his fur. I changed his food thinking that would help but it didnt. I feel horrible because he seems in pain when he constantly licks himself and scratches. I'm not sure what could be wrong. He's been to the vet over 3-5 times now. Please help so my little man can feel better. Thank you so much

Aaryn

Oh the poor guy! It sounds like a frustrating case especially considering you have been to the vet so many times!

I won't be able to give you a diagnosis but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

It's not uncommon to have a cat overgroom the legs and belly because of "stress". I say stress in quotes because often these cats live a life that to us looks perfectly stress free. Sometimes putting these cats on some type of anti-anxiety medication such as Amitriptylline or Reconcile can make a big difference. Often the medication is only short term and once the skin is back to normal we can wean the cat off of medicine.

Another thing to ask your vet about is the possibility of a parasite called Demodex. I used to think that Demodex in cats was quite rare, or something that was only seen in the southern US. However, it can be seen in many parts of the world and often goes misdiagnosed. Demodex is diagnosed by having your vet do a skin scraping.

Does Levy have lesions (like raw red spots or areas of skin?). If so this may be some sort of an eosinophilic plaque. These usually do respond to steroids but I have had some cats that need to have several steroid shots two weeks apart in order to be treated completely.

The next step as I see it would be to ask your vet to do a biopsy of the affected areas of skin. This almost always gives us a reason for what is going on and then we should know exactly how to treat it.

I hope things improve soon!

Vomiting and runny eyes. Hello Doc! My cat Princess started throwing up this morning. First two times was... (49889 views)

Missed vaccines. My dog is approximatley 4 years old and hasnt had any injections since she was... (6445 views)

Rat with swollen eyes. my moms friend was watching my albino rat and she left him out side all day and now,... (10572 views)

Revolution and fleas my dogs are treated with frontline and we brought home a kitten that was treated... (17563 views)

Dog losing weight. my king charles is losing weight, ive tried al different kinds of wet and dry food... (9571 views)

Dog in heat a long time. i have a 7yr.old boxer who started a heat cycle in march and it is now august....she... (20918 views)

Abscess on dog's neck. We have been keeping an eye on a hard lump on my boxers upper neck, by ear. It... (49369 views)

Daschund with sore neck. My dog was perfectly fine leading up to and on the day he received his vaccines. He... (9360 views)

Hair loss around eyes. Recently my maltese is loosing hair around his eyes. I have been feeding him the... (16492 views)

Why did my dog die? I have a query re. cause of death in older dog. She was a Yorkshire Terrier,... (31660 views)