Does my cat have glaucoma?

Breed: Calico
About 2 weeks ago, I started noticing that Mietzi's right pupil would always stay quite large, even when the left one was narrowed. She never paws at her eye or acts like she is experiencing discomfort. She is eating, pooping, peeing, sleeping, all normal. The white part around the eye is also red and veined. I went online and read about glaucoma and anisocoria and decided to take her to the vet. There is an American vet on base but they are always busy so last night, I took her to a German vet. He took blood and sent it away for a full scan. He tested the pressure in that eye (several times) and told me that while it should be around 25, it is at 80. Then he put some drops in her eye, waited 30 min, and tested again. The pressure was 50. He gave me a prescription which I picked up and it calls for 1 drop in the eye 2X a day. He wants to see her again on Monday, but talked about all the many things it could be and if it should get painful, the eye might need to be removed. It isn't that I don't trust him, but his bedside manner left something to be desired and I would just love to hear if you would treat this any other way...or if there is something I should try that I'm not. It was somewhat traumatic for me because on the way home, she was foaming at the mouth and throwing up. Did the medicine cause that or the stress -- and why did I leave the name of the meds at home?? Thanks for your time! :)

Oh I am sorry to hear about Mietzi's troubles with her eye. This does indeed sound serious. When the pressure within the eye is that high, then this is usually glaucoma. Often the cause is not known. Glaucoma is generally quite painful.

Sometimes medications can help with glaucoma but if things don't improve then unfortunately the treatment is to remove the eye. The good news is that it is a surgery that most cats handle well and recover from quickly.

I'm not sure why the vomiting happened. It is probably not directly connected to the eye problem but more likely the stress of the visit.

It's unfortunate that your vet has a poor bedside manor, but it does sound like he is doing the same things I would.

I do hope things improve.

Good morning, Dr. Marie!

Thanks for your response! I still don't know the name of the medication (it is in German anyway :/) but I have put one drop in her eye morning and night since Friday. The good news is, and I don't believe it is just hopeful imagination on my part, her eye seems to be responding and there was one time this weekend where the pupil definitely contracted and became almost as small as the other eye...

So, because I think of glaucoma in humans as irreversible, have you ever treated a cat which appeared to have glaucoma but then the eye recovered? Is that even possible?

I promise, no more questions :)

Thank you for your time!
Denise

There are certainly some conditions that can cause high pressure in the eye that are treatable. I'm pleased to hear that things are improving!

Heartworm treatment. Sam was a rescue, we believe that he is a little over two years old and a pit / lab... (7926 views)

Healthy weight for a puppy. My papipoo recently had a haircut and I was shocked at how skinny he is. What is a... (11638 views)

Swollen neck on a cat. my 4 month old male cat, desexed vaccinated and everything one more shot to go tho.... (7414 views)

Pug died suddenly. My 8 year old female pug just died. My husband came home from work and she had... (27652 views)

CCNU chemotherapy. My 12.5 year old Boxer mix was diagnosed with malignant melanoma last week. Surgery... (11851 views)

Kitten is walking funny. Recently I have noticed that our new addition to the family has been walking... (15950 views)

Metacam safety questions. Please can you advise regarding the use of Metacam injection with other drugs? I am... (17064 views)

Weakness in legs and thirsty. Dear Dr. Marie, Sammy has been having weakness in hind legs,difficulty standing... (12841 views)

Perianal fistula Dear Dr Marie, My baby doggie, Mushka, has developed small pimple-sized boils... (32271 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia in kittens. hi, my cat recently had kittens, their are four kittens, two cant walk or barely... (21328 views)