Does my cat have glaucoma?

Breed: Calico
About 2 weeks ago, I started noticing that Mietzi's right pupil would always stay quite large, even when the left one was narrowed. She never paws at her eye or acts like she is experiencing discomfort. She is eating, pooping, peeing, sleeping, all normal. The white part around the eye is also red and veined. I went online and read about glaucoma and anisocoria and decided to take her to the vet. There is an American vet on base but they are always busy so last night, I took her to a German vet. He took blood and sent it away for a full scan. He tested the pressure in that eye (several times) and told me that while it should be around 25, it is at 80. Then he put some drops in her eye, waited 30 min, and tested again. The pressure was 50. He gave me a prescription which I picked up and it calls for 1 drop in the eye 2X a day. He wants to see her again on Monday, but talked about all the many things it could be and if it should get painful, the eye might need to be removed. It isn't that I don't trust him, but his bedside manner left something to be desired and I would just love to hear if you would treat this any other way...or if there is something I should try that I'm not. It was somewhat traumatic for me because on the way home, she was foaming at the mouth and throwing up. Did the medicine cause that or the stress -- and why did I leave the name of the meds at home?? Thanks for your time! :)

Oh I am sorry to hear about Mietzi's troubles with her eye. This does indeed sound serious. When the pressure within the eye is that high, then this is usually glaucoma. Often the cause is not known. Glaucoma is generally quite painful.

Sometimes medications can help with glaucoma but if things don't improve then unfortunately the treatment is to remove the eye. The good news is that it is a surgery that most cats handle well and recover from quickly.

I'm not sure why the vomiting happened. It is probably not directly connected to the eye problem but more likely the stress of the visit.

It's unfortunate that your vet has a poor bedside manor, but it does sound like he is doing the same things I would.

I do hope things improve.

Good morning, Dr. Marie!

Thanks for your response! I still don't know the name of the medication (it is in German anyway :/) but I have put one drop in her eye morning and night since Friday. The good news is, and I don't believe it is just hopeful imagination on my part, her eye seems to be responding and there was one time this weekend where the pupil definitely contracted and became almost as small as the other eye...

So, because I think of glaucoma in humans as irreversible, have you ever treated a cat which appeared to have glaucoma but then the eye recovered? Is that even possible?

I promise, no more questions :)

Thank you for your time!
Denise

There are certainly some conditions that can cause high pressure in the eye that are treatable. I'm pleased to hear that things are improving!

Swollen foot and death in a dog. I am seeking for an answer what could be the reason my dog can hardly breathe and... (22702 views)

Blue lump on dog's belly. Around Christmas, I noticed a blue-tinted bump, about 3 mm in diameter, on my dog's... (28414 views)

Tumor in belly. I recently discovered my 13 year old cat has a probably cancerous mass growing in... (9117 views)

Vet care discount for seniors. My cat vomited today(29.10.10) and she is in a quite bad mood, i want to get a check... (12989 views)

Dog can't pee after accident. brandy got ran over about 4 days ago,,, she is walking with a lamp,,, eating and... (17797 views)

Dime sized sore above eye. Turbo has a dime size sore just above his left eye. Ive tried washing with peroxide... (21954 views)

Medication for aggressive dog? Hi! We adopted a 2.5 year old male white shepherd/lab, Denver, almost a year ago. At... (9576 views)

Clavaseptin and diarrhea. My puppy recently had to spend a night at the vet, we are pretty sure he just ate... (17991 views)

Itchy behind neck and ears. My cat, fuzzy, is starting to itch behind her neck, her ear area, base of her tail,... (11334 views)

Does my cat have asthma? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat is on Clindomycin for an allergy she was determined to... (14254 views)