Puppy has diarrhea.

Breed: Shih Tzue
Hi Dr. Marie. We just got a puppy and she has some diarrhea. We got her on Saturday and she ate well and is playing quite happily. She isn't vomiting at all. But, she has had diarrhea about 5 times today. What can I do to help her? She is such a cute little puppy and I don't want her to get sick!

Hi there...sorry to hear that your little one is not well!

There are several possible reasons for a puppy to have diarrhea. First of all, it is possible that she has an upset digestive tract due to a change in food or even due to stress especially if she has recently come from her mom to your place. (Not that your place is stressful, but it is all new for her). If this is the case, it should be temporary. I don't usually recommend fasting puppies because their little systems are not good at handling dehydration, but you can try feeding just very small meals of cooked chicken and rice for a day or two to see how she does.

The next possibility is that she has some parasites. There are many different kinds of parasites. Your vet will be able to tell by doing some tests on a stool sample whether there are parasites there and which medicines would be the most effective. Some parasites like coccidia or giardia are not killed by routine deworming.

If she is really unwell, she could possibly have parvo virus which is quite serious. Parvo usually also causes vomiting. The treatment for parvo is intensive hospitalization and IV fluids. However, it sounds like Pixie is still feeling well and as there is no vomiting this really doesn't sound like parvo.

Thanks Dr. Marie! That makes me feel better! If this is giardia or coccidia will it go away on its own? Could this still be parvo virus even though she is feeling ok? I had a dog die from parvo before and I am very scared of it!

You're very welcome! Giardia and coccidia both require prescription medications in order to be cleared.

This really is unlikely to be parvo from what you have described. However, if the diarrhea gets really watery and has blood and if she starts to vomit then I would be more concerned.

Is this lump cancer? I noticed yesterday that my babe has a lump about the size of a kiwi on her bottom... (16478 views)

Black bumps in cat's ear. My friend has 3 cats (all unrelated) out of her 6 cats, that all have melanoma's in... (65918 views)

Testicles are swollen. Bingo was hit from behind by a car mon nite. He got several cuts on 1 side of face,... (18007 views)

Cat is licking himself and has scabs. My cat is licking him self till he bleeds and it's getting so bad that he has... (10943 views)

Dog snaps when head touched. Dear Dr. Marie, Our 7 year old bichon frise has started new concerning behavior.... (8242 views)

Dog can't stand. Vera is unable to stand on her back legs. She also cannot climb on to sofas or... (11492 views)

Howling when trying to pee. We took Ferna to the vet a few months ago for vomiting and they prescribed hairball... (10236 views)

Pus filled lump on boxer. Hello, About four days ago, we noticed what looked like a cut on our male boxer's... (6588 views)

Diabetes and IBD. Hi Dr. Marie- This one is long and complicated, but hopefully it makes sense! I... (9484 views)

Sneezing cat. My cat keeps sneezing and sometimes has watery eyes. It started today and. I googled... (20966 views)