Puppy has diarrhea.

Breed: Shih Tzue
Hi Dr. Marie. We just got a puppy and she has some diarrhea. We got her on Saturday and she ate well and is playing quite happily. She isn't vomiting at all. But, she has had diarrhea about 5 times today. What can I do to help her? She is such a cute little puppy and I don't want her to get sick!

Hi there...sorry to hear that your little one is not well!

There are several possible reasons for a puppy to have diarrhea. First of all, it is possible that she has an upset digestive tract due to a change in food or even due to stress especially if she has recently come from her mom to your place. (Not that your place is stressful, but it is all new for her). If this is the case, it should be temporary. I don't usually recommend fasting puppies because their little systems are not good at handling dehydration, but you can try feeding just very small meals of cooked chicken and rice for a day or two to see how she does.

The next possibility is that she has some parasites. There are many different kinds of parasites. Your vet will be able to tell by doing some tests on a stool sample whether there are parasites there and which medicines would be the most effective. Some parasites like coccidia or giardia are not killed by routine deworming.

If she is really unwell, she could possibly have parvo virus which is quite serious. Parvo usually also causes vomiting. The treatment for parvo is intensive hospitalization and IV fluids. However, it sounds like Pixie is still feeling well and as there is no vomiting this really doesn't sound like parvo.

Thanks Dr. Marie! That makes me feel better! If this is giardia or coccidia will it go away on its own? Could this still be parvo virus even though she is feeling ok? I had a dog die from parvo before and I am very scared of it!

You're very welcome! Giardia and coccidia both require prescription medications in order to be cleared.

This really is unlikely to be parvo from what you have described. However, if the diarrhea gets really watery and has blood and if she starts to vomit then I would be more concerned.

Medication for aggressive dog? Hi! We adopted a 2.5 year old male white shepherd/lab, Denver, almost a year ago. At... (7561 views)

Are brewers grains safe for dogs? Are brewers grains safe for dogs? My husband wants to buy some dog treats that are... (7209 views)

Crusty ears on a cat. My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of... (22856 views)

Cat is really hungry. Maya has feline asthma and has been on inhaled corticosteroids for a year... (15983 views)

Cat can't move tail or legs. My girlfriend's family saved a cat viciously attacked by dogs in the street in... (27518 views)

Vomiting and not eating. Buster was throwing up for over two weeks. I had him to an emergency pet hospital,... (22011 views)

Getting cat to lose weight. Dear Dr Marie, We have just adopted a fat cat, and are trying to reduce his weight.... (5601 views)

sexing a cat WE found a stray cat and our question is how can we tell what gender it... (8871 views)

Tumor behind eye. hi dr marie,enjoy your website and read all the dog related problems! my girl... (10095 views)

Azithromycin and cat death. I run my own rescue group. I do all the cleaning, transporting, adopting, and I... (10200 views)