Bitten by copperhead snake.

Breed: mutt
My mom's 14 week old puppy got bit by a snake. Didn't see the snake. What should she do?

Thanks for the question. I have a few questions for you:

-Do you know if you have any poisonous snakes in your area?
-Where do you live?
-What is the puppy doing now?
-Can you see any wounds where the puppy got bitten?

We have copperheads in the area. We live in central Georgia.
One puncture on bottom of foot. Puppy's leg is swollen but he is playing as normal. Just clumsy because of swelling.

OK, thanks for that information.

I really do think it is a good idea for you to take this puppy to an emergency vet. While a bite from a copperhead snake is not likely to be fatal, it can cause a very serious wound. If the puppy's leg is swollen then I am a little concerned.

Most likely, what your vet will do is thoroughly clean the area and then put the dog on pain medication (that is also anti-inflammatory) plus antibiotics.

The vet in your area will also know whether anti-venom is necessary. (I don't have copperheads in my area so I am not certain about this.) My guess though is that no anti-venom is needed, just supportive care.

I wouldn't suggest waiting this out till Monday. If a snake bite gets infected it can be very serious, especially in such a young puppy.

Thanks for your advice. The problem is that the emergency vet care is incredibly expensive....is it possible that we could watch the leg for signs of infection until Monday and take him over the weekend if it gets worse?

I definitely understand your predicament as an emergency visit can be pricey. However, I still would not want to wait.

I have seen some snake bite wounds that seem to be ok for a while and then suddenly get severely swollen and infected. If it gets to this state (say overnight) then this may be a condition that requires much more extensive (and expensive) treatment. If we get started with antibiotics right away to prevent an infection you may be able to get away with a much smaller bill than if there is a severe infection.

If there is a severe infection (i.e. because we didn't start antibiotics soon enough) then the dog could need intravenous antibiotics and a long hospital stay. This is the difference between a bill that is a few hundred dollars or a bill that is a couple of thousand dollars.

Also, because this dog is so young, if there is poisonous venom in the wound then the dog has less chance of survival because of his age.

I really wouldn't advise waiting.

The other thing you could do is to simply call the emergency vet and explain the situation. They likely see this type of thing often and will have statistics on how often copperhead bites are serious in your area. If they see a lot of copperhead bites that don't need serious treatment then they may advise you that it is ok to wait. I am guessing that they will say to come in right away though. (And that is not just so they make money, but so that the puppy can get the best treatment as fast as possible.)

Aggressive hamster. hello, i got a russian hamster yesterday and in the store and at home he was really... (12666 views)

Cat with a cold. My cat has a cold, and i was wondering if there is anything i can do at home for her... (21538 views)

Zodiac safe? Is Zodiac Spot Treatment safe to use on my small dog and... (12498 views)

Yorkie with Possible Pyometra. have a 7 year old female Yorkie that has been limp and despondent for 3 days. She... (17409 views)

Puppy has a small eye. my puppy has an eye defect it is smaller than the other and seems to be lazy it is... (25091 views)

Dog has wound under arm. I was wondering how I would go about dressing an area on my dog under her arm? It... (11951 views)

Lepto from mice? I live in New York City, in an apartment. Two days ago, I left Honey's food out on... (17869 views)

Kitten with yellow diarrhea. Hi. My neighbor just called me about three days ago and asked if i would help nurse... (13770 views)

Itchy dog. This is a follow on of a question past #2740. Choo Choo's itch has continued all... (8950 views)

Cat pawing at mouth My cat has been like this for 2 days now, he looked like he was chokeing at first,... (32016 views)