Boxer having seizures.

Breed: Boxer
Questions about seizures and MRI.

Hello, My question is VERY similar to the question below you just answered:
Breed: Pekingese - BooBoo

Everything that pet owner stated has occurred with our female boxer. She will turn 9 years old in July and we have had her since the day after we were married. She and Gunny (another boxer) are our babies...

Anyway, my concern is she has had 3 seizures within a 26 hour period (over this past weekend). We took her to the emergency room and they gave her a shot of that medicine you stated and on Monday we took her to out vet, which immediately placed her on two doses of seizure medicine a day. Well, she was fine all day Monday, and pretty much all day today (Tuesday), until I saw her shaking again about 5:30PM. So I ran over to her and sat with her for next 1/2 hour to help her with the seizure. Her next medication was not due for another hour, and I could not get in the house without her. Every time I would stop talking to her and petting her, she would slowly then violently shake, but I feel I got her out of the seizure by being there (I don't know). Anyway, I was able to get her up and walking, and gave her medicine, but she kept slipping to those trembles for the next 1/2 hour, until she passed out.

I don't want her to suffer, and the closest Vet doctor that has a MRI machine is about an hour away. I don't think she can make it for 2 weeks until her next Vet appointment. I feel if she has another seizure that would be 4 within a 2-3 day period. Our vet said they have to wait 2 weeks to see how that medicine is affecting her blood stream, and said to possibly expect another seizure. Well, we can't handle this.

Do you recommend getting an MRI now or waiting 2 weeks for the Vet appointment, which then he will have to make a MRI appointment, which could be another 2 weeks or so. Unless this medication stops the seizures, I don't want her to have another one. What is your suggestion?

Oh, this is a really tough call. Seizure cases are my least favorite cases to deal with because there is so much stress involved. Watching your pet have a seizure is very traumatic. The good news is that the seizures are not painful to the dog. They may cause some confusion but they're not painful.

These questions that you are asking really are decisions that your vet should be able to guide you through. If they are recommending that you hang in there for two weeks then this really is a good idea. I have had several cases where seizures came on suddenly and dramatically and it took many days for the medications to kick in. However, if your dog is having several seizures a day, then there may be additional medication that the vet can give you to use in the meantime while we're waiting for the phenobarbital (assuming that's what it is) to kick in. Quite often I will prescribe valium to use when a seizure is happening. Valium is not a long term solution but it can often help to stop a seizure.

Although four seizures within a 2-3 day period is terribly traumatic for you to watch, it is not life threatening to your dog. If you were saying she was seizing 10-20 times per day or having seizures that lasted for longer than 15 minutes then I would be much more concerned.

It sounds like your vet is doing the same things I would do.

I hope things improve soon!

Dog playing with a bat - rabies? My new puppy 7 weeks old has just has a few of his early shots. He was just in the... (31214 views)

Sudden bulldog death. Hello Dr. Marie, I own a boarding kennel and have for fifteen years. We pride... (25266 views)

Dentistry on older cat. My cat, who is a 19 year old spayed male we have had his entire life is fairly... (12939 views)

Dog has lump on top of head. My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a... (31087 views)

Can't walk, dehydrated puppy. My puppy is 3 months old. She was left at home with her dogsitter but was obviously... (15220 views)

Aggressive cat. I have had 2 cats same amount of time. Julia has started hissing, growling, and... (7807 views)

Flea problems. My dog Roxie has had a flea dip and has had her last months flea treatment, but she... (8217 views)

8 month old kitten producing milk. Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat... (4636 views)

Black spot on Hamster's skin. my hamster has a black spot under his hair.should he have this?????????????. he is a... (17002 views)

Cat won't use litter box. I have a 7 month old female cat, I have had her vet checked and she has no problems.... (8697 views)