Sore chihuahua

Breed: Chihuahua /terroir m
My dog Chevy has had some strange behavior for some time. For the past year or so he gets in these funks and he'll run around with his tail down like he is scared and whines. The vet couldn't give me an answer. Most recently, the past couple of months he has been doing the prayer position several times a day. He still eats and goes to the bathroom like normal but I'm wondering if this behavior is normal. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Poor Chevy. It sounds like he is quite uncomfortable.

The first thing I think about when I see a dog who has his tail down a lot is an anal gland issue. Do you know if the vet has checked them? It would be interesting to have the vet express his glands and then see if the problem goes away for a while. If it comes back after a short while then he may possibly even have an infection in there.

However, this shouldn't cause the praying position. The praying position often means that there is abdominal pain. Sometimes we can see this in pets with pancreatitis. However, dogs with pancreatitis usually do vomit and don't want to eat well so this doesn't make sense.

Any time a chihuahua type dog has some type of pain behavior I wonder about a back problem. If this were my case I might want to try a prescription anti-inflammatory medication such as Metacam, Rimadyl, Previcox or Deramaxx to see if it makes a difference. If so, there may be a mild back issue there. If it hasn't gone away completely after the medication is stopped then I'd want to take xrays.

You could also ask your vet about giving some famotidine which is a drug that is available over the counter at the pharmacy. If there is some mild abdominal cramping from time to time then this could possibly help.

I wish I could give you a more definitive answer but I can say that this is not normal to see.

I hope things are better soon!

Cat losing weight. My cat is only about 2 years, she is female. She recently got sick, she started off... (10620 views)

How to help constipated cat. Our 10 year old cat is constipated. How can we help her? She tried to use the catbox... (6412 views)

Dog with bad breath. im from philippines, i really sleep at bed every night with my dog.the problem is, i... (11428 views)

Cancer or infection? I recently had to put my dog to sleep after I found out he had cancer that had... (10923 views)

Bassett hound neck pain, etc. Our dog Lola came to us as a stray about 3 yrs ago. She is about 7 years old and... (13592 views)

7 week old puppies have fleas. my puppy is getting eatin alive by fleas he is only 7 weeks old and is a very tiny... (10834 views)

Dog is leaking urine. We have a 4yr old female boxer/german shepherd mix who seems to be "leaking" a lot... (10998 views)

Atropine? I live in a tiny town in Nicaragua and there is no vet...just a veterinary food and... (7634 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hi Dr. Marie! Spanky is 5 years old and very healthy. His energy is good and, as... (41002 views)

Dental care for older dog. I have an older dog with bad teeth but no way to afford doggy dental. I was... (23363 views)