Sore chihuahua

Breed: Chihuahua /terroir m
My dog Chevy has had some strange behavior for some time. For the past year or so he gets in these funks and he'll run around with his tail down like he is scared and whines. The vet couldn't give me an answer. Most recently, the past couple of months he has been doing the prayer position several times a day. He still eats and goes to the bathroom like normal but I'm wondering if this behavior is normal. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Poor Chevy. It sounds like he is quite uncomfortable.

The first thing I think about when I see a dog who has his tail down a lot is an anal gland issue. Do you know if the vet has checked them? It would be interesting to have the vet express his glands and then see if the problem goes away for a while. If it comes back after a short while then he may possibly even have an infection in there.

However, this shouldn't cause the praying position. The praying position often means that there is abdominal pain. Sometimes we can see this in pets with pancreatitis. However, dogs with pancreatitis usually do vomit and don't want to eat well so this doesn't make sense.

Any time a chihuahua type dog has some type of pain behavior I wonder about a back problem. If this were my case I might want to try a prescription anti-inflammatory medication such as Metacam, Rimadyl, Previcox or Deramaxx to see if it makes a difference. If so, there may be a mild back issue there. If it hasn't gone away completely after the medication is stopped then I'd want to take xrays.

You could also ask your vet about giving some famotidine which is a drug that is available over the counter at the pharmacy. If there is some mild abdominal cramping from time to time then this could possibly help.

I wish I could give you a more definitive answer but I can say that this is not normal to see.

I hope things are better soon!

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (19986 views)

Should we euthanize? Hershey was diagnosed with lymphoma today. He has two large swollen nodes under his... (13319 views)

Dog urinates while walking Recently, I have noticed that my dog will walk along urinating. It seems to me that... (30393 views)

Famotidine for kidney disease. Coco had an ultrasound scan yesterday to confirm she has bilateral kidney cancer.... (10200 views)

Severe skin problems. My dog Leila started licking on 8/1/12. Her spots looked like hot spots on elbows... (6326 views)

Sore shoulder. My cat just came home yesterday with a mild limp (indoor-outdoor cat)He whines a... (14806 views)

Blood in puppy's poo. Hi Dr Marie. We have just bought an adorable little puppy from a farmer. Since we... (5819 views)

Pit bull has pus and is off balance. Hi Dr.Marie, i was wondering if you could please answer a question for me. My dog... (6735 views)

Wounds not healing. My cat is mostly an indoor cat, but on occassion, he goes outside. Last time he went... (4192 views)

Brown staining around pee area. The area around her pee area is really brown and dirty I have cleaned it off but I... (106736 views)