Sore chihuahua

Breed: Chihuahua /terroir m
My dog Chevy has had some strange behavior for some time. For the past year or so he gets in these funks and he'll run around with his tail down like he is scared and whines. The vet couldn't give me an answer. Most recently, the past couple of months he has been doing the prayer position several times a day. He still eats and goes to the bathroom like normal but I'm wondering if this behavior is normal. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Poor Chevy. It sounds like he is quite uncomfortable.

The first thing I think about when I see a dog who has his tail down a lot is an anal gland issue. Do you know if the vet has checked them? It would be interesting to have the vet express his glands and then see if the problem goes away for a while. If it comes back after a short while then he may possibly even have an infection in there.

However, this shouldn't cause the praying position. The praying position often means that there is abdominal pain. Sometimes we can see this in pets with pancreatitis. However, dogs with pancreatitis usually do vomit and don't want to eat well so this doesn't make sense.

Any time a chihuahua type dog has some type of pain behavior I wonder about a back problem. If this were my case I might want to try a prescription anti-inflammatory medication such as Metacam, Rimadyl, Previcox or Deramaxx to see if it makes a difference. If so, there may be a mild back issue there. If it hasn't gone away completely after the medication is stopped then I'd want to take xrays.

You could also ask your vet about giving some famotidine which is a drug that is available over the counter at the pharmacy. If there is some mild abdominal cramping from time to time then this could possibly help.

I wish I could give you a more definitive answer but I can say that this is not normal to see.

I hope things are better soon!

Swollen eye in older cat. Hello - I have a 13-yr cat with renal issues (diagnosed 2 yrs ago) - but she has... (7268 views)

Swollen carpal pad. Dear Dr. Marie: About 5 weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the carpal pad on our... (26663 views)

Start vaccines over? i just have had my dog for 3 months, not sure what shots have been given no record,... (4708 views)

Heartworm and MDR1 I rrecently had both dogs genotyped for MDR1 mutation and both are positive. Bella... (6062 views)

Dog with wound. My pup is 7 months old and two days ago she dug out of her kennel and I didn't see... (17089 views)

Limping boston terrier. hi my boston terrier wont put any weight on his back right foot. It started of only... (21213 views)

Bump near anus. My dog has what looks like a pimple or maybe an ingrown hair? It's not white like a... (29984 views)

Cloudy eye after an infection hi my dog steve is 8 months old hes a pureb german shepherd, within the last 8weeks... (10639 views)

Is ginger safe for dogs? I make dog biscuits to sell at craft shows and with xmas coming up sooner than we... (41849 views)

Abscess? Hi Would you please be able to answer my question.. Wednesday Night I Heard two... (6084 views)