Sore chihuahua

Breed: Chihuahua /terroir m
My dog Chevy has had some strange behavior for some time. For the past year or so he gets in these funks and he'll run around with his tail down like he is scared and whines. The vet couldn't give me an answer. Most recently, the past couple of months he has been doing the prayer position several times a day. He still eats and goes to the bathroom like normal but I'm wondering if this behavior is normal. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Poor Chevy. It sounds like he is quite uncomfortable.

The first thing I think about when I see a dog who has his tail down a lot is an anal gland issue. Do you know if the vet has checked them? It would be interesting to have the vet express his glands and then see if the problem goes away for a while. If it comes back after a short while then he may possibly even have an infection in there.

However, this shouldn't cause the praying position. The praying position often means that there is abdominal pain. Sometimes we can see this in pets with pancreatitis. However, dogs with pancreatitis usually do vomit and don't want to eat well so this doesn't make sense.

Any time a chihuahua type dog has some type of pain behavior I wonder about a back problem. If this were my case I might want to try a prescription anti-inflammatory medication such as Metacam, Rimadyl, Previcox or Deramaxx to see if it makes a difference. If so, there may be a mild back issue there. If it hasn't gone away completely after the medication is stopped then I'd want to take xrays.

You could also ask your vet about giving some famotidine which is a drug that is available over the counter at the pharmacy. If there is some mild abdominal cramping from time to time then this could possibly help.

I wish I could give you a more definitive answer but I can say that this is not normal to see.

I hope things are better soon!

Cat with asthma. Dr. Marie, Misto is a 9-year-old, 15-pound domestic shorthair, house-only cat who... (8113 views)

Seizure episode. he just had a sesiure like episode where he was walking with me and just kinda... (6624 views)

Discolored fur around mouth. I have a Westie , 4 years old , the fur around his mouth has become redish pink... (12382 views)

Bald spot on cat's tail. By accident my Ricky has a blad spot on his tail & i sure hope that it grows back?... (5332 views)

Green penile discharge. Hi, I have a 7 month old alaskan malamute. I have noticed that he has green... (16445 views)

Sores on dog's nose. Dr. Marie- Our dog has been breaking out in sore/boil/blister type bumps on his... (79891 views)

Parvo protection. Hi Dr, My Golden is 7 weeks now. I will be taking him home next week after he's... (63310 views)

Rabbit not moving. this morning she was fine, now she is laying lifeless, her belly is flat like she... (6274 views)

Multiple mast cell tumors. Hi Marie, it says that my question has been answered, but I do not know how to... (15326 views)

Thin after back injury. A friend found a dog years ago on the side of the road with an broken back. Break... (10953 views)