Noticing metallic odor.

Breed: Pit Bull Mix
Hi! I recently adopted a dog from a NYC euth list. I've had her for about 3 weeks and got her 2 days after she was spayed. Recently she has been emitting this metallic odor. She does not have any discharge, but the odor stays on clothing or blankets if she is on them for a period of time. Her spay scar has fully healed and she doesn't seem to pay much attention to it but she does lick her behind every once in a while. I have researched and some have said it could be a gland problem where others have said it could be an infection? Thank you for your input!

While I can't say for sure, it sounds like what you are describing is the odor of some anal gland material emptying from the glands. Some dogs need to have their glands emptied regularly.

While it could be an infection, it likely is just a matter of full glands. It would be great to have your vet check them out!

You can read more information here about anal glands.

Cooked garlic safety? I have 2 dogs. An 8 pound shipoo and a 20 pound mini shnauzer. The shipoo has... (8256 views)

Male cat has large breasts. Recently (2-3 weeks), my 8 year old male tabby cat has, what seem to be, slightly... (22589 views)

Coughing after spay. My cat was spayed 6 days ago. At first she was great.Incision looked great and still... (16101 views)

Eyes rolled back in head. About 3 months ago, Bruce's eyes rolled back in his head and become very blood shot.... (47167 views)

Diarrhea and large abdomen. My 5 yr old DSH has been acting weird for the last 2 days. He had foamy,watery... (10533 views)

Vaccines in Nunavut. Hi, We live in the high arctic and don't have access to vet services and thus... (6996 views)

Can I give my dog aspirin? Can I give her a low dose(81mg) aspirin to help with I think a pulled muscle? It... (29022 views)

Dog licks my nose. Hi, Luci was diagnosed with Lymphoma and also had 3 Mast Cell tumors removed back... (49667 views)

Paralyzed dog. O.K, here is the deal. Our dog Sadie was diagnosed with a ruptured disc (L2) I... (51999 views)

Does dog saliva heal a wound? Is there any truth to the old wive's tale that when your dog instinctlively licks a... (8964 views)