Noticing metallic odor.

Breed: Pit Bull Mix
Hi! I recently adopted a dog from a NYC euth list. I've had her for about 3 weeks and got her 2 days after she was spayed. Recently she has been emitting this metallic odor. She does not have any discharge, but the odor stays on clothing or blankets if she is on them for a period of time. Her spay scar has fully healed and she doesn't seem to pay much attention to it but she does lick her behind every once in a while. I have researched and some have said it could be a gland problem where others have said it could be an infection? Thank you for your input!

While I can't say for sure, it sounds like what you are describing is the odor of some anal gland material emptying from the glands. Some dogs need to have their glands emptied regularly.

While it could be an infection, it likely is just a matter of full glands. It would be great to have your vet check them out!

You can read more information here about anal glands.

What kind of dog to get? My dog Toby died at the age of 14 2 moths ago.Me and my family r looking 4 a new... (7463 views)

Ear infection in labradoodle. Hi Dr. Marie, I have an 8 month old Australian Labradoodle who has had a yeast... (17398 views)

Dog is limping. Denaro has had a limp in his left front leg for about a month, it goes from a... (15476 views)

Jaundiced dog. Hi, I have an 8yr old female labrador that on the 30th December, 2013 evening... (15995 views)

Dog's face is swollen. my dog's face is swollen, her muzzle is swollen on both sides and very firm/hard... (130492 views)

When to put down older dog. I know my dog is on the way out, she has cataracts, hearing is dim, legs are shaky,... (6720 views)

Dog with masticatory myositis. hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it... (10748 views)

Pregnant dog has tick disease. my dog is pregnant and she is suffering from tick disease so can i give her... (11705 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma. Tessa has a little black growth on her eyelid. My vet has said it's a tumor and... (15268 views)

Why did my cat die? Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are probably overwhelmed but I pray you give me some piece... (14148 views)