Homeopathic seizure control.

Breed: Jack Russell
I have adopted a dog Jack aged 7. He has seizures which last about 3-5 minutes and in the 3 months I have had him he has had about 15seizures. He does not fall over oe anything but goes rigid and trembles and drools. I had some homeopathic tablets called Storm that I was once given to calm a dog I took on an aeroplane. I tried giving one of these to Jack and it seems to work. I am running out of the tablets and cannot find anymore. The bottle does not give any details of what the tablets are made up of. I understand from his previous owner who has emigrated that the fits started when he was 1 and a half. Do you think I could try the tablets "Rescue" or do you have any other suggestion. I dont want to give him drugs which may have side effects. I have dewormed him. Other than that he is a very happy active dog and would put some of the soccer world cup players to shame with his amazing ball skills!!

Thanks for your time.

You're very welcome. I'm sorry to hear that Jack is having these problems.

It's interesting that you noticed Jack's symptoms improved when on the homeopathic medication. As far as I know, there are no homeopathic medications that consistently work to stop seizures. But, read on, as I have a theory as to why you may be seeing an improvement.

Most dogs who have seizures this frequently do need prescription medication in order to control the seizures. We will usually use either phenobarbitol or potassium bromide or a combination of the two. In most cases the benefits of the medication by far outweigh the risks.

If you truly do believe that the "storm" medication is working for Jack, it is not likely because the medication has a direct effect on his seizures. However, I have seen some dogs who will have seizures in response to stress. So, if we can do something to lower the stress level, then we can reduce the number of seizures they have. I believe the "rescue" tablets you are talking about may be something called rescue remedy.

Rescue remedy is unlikely to cause any harm, but I do not believe there is any scientific proof that it really helps. That being said, it probably won't hurt to try.

It is also possible that the seizures were caused by something temporary (i.e. liver damage due to a toxin ingestion) and that he is recovered by now and perhaps doesn't need any medication.

Has Jack had any bloodwork done? It would be good to see if there is a medical cause for his seizures. If his bloodwork is clear then if he does continue to have seizures I would not hesitate to put him on a prescription medication for seizures. You have probably heard that phenobarbitol can be hard on the liver, but it is very rare that we see liver problems in a dog on the correct dosage of this medication.

I hope Jack continues to do well!

Pomeranian in pain. I have a 4 year old pom. All of a sudden, 3 weeks ago he started having abdominal... (18961 views)

Incontinence she will be lying on the floor and she just pees and does not know or realize she... (10762 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (12090 views)

Goopy eyes. My kittens eyes are BOTH gooping up a lot. I do not know if it is an infection, or... (13067 views)

Swollen dog testicles. can dogs get testuculer or prostate cancers? my dog has swollen testicles, and is... (38997 views)

Can a feral cat be tamed? Dr. Marie - a few months ago I came across a feral cat who is now named Gypsy. I... (9894 views)

Cat with coccidia My vet did a fecal exam on my cat today and said there was coccidia there, but she... (9628 views)

Sneezing cat. My cat keeps sneezing and sometimes has watery eyes. It started today and. I googled... (22394 views)

Spay 7 year old dog? Shadow my "daughter" is 7 years old. She is NOT spayed. Recently, I noticed a... (21106 views)

Bald spot on cat's tail. By accident my Ricky has a blad spot on his tail & i sure hope that it grows back?... (7748 views)