Homeopathic seizure control.

Breed: Jack Russell
I have adopted a dog Jack aged 7. He has seizures which last about 3-5 minutes and in the 3 months I have had him he has had about 15seizures. He does not fall over oe anything but goes rigid and trembles and drools. I had some homeopathic tablets called Storm that I was once given to calm a dog I took on an aeroplane. I tried giving one of these to Jack and it seems to work. I am running out of the tablets and cannot find anymore. The bottle does not give any details of what the tablets are made up of. I understand from his previous owner who has emigrated that the fits started when he was 1 and a half. Do you think I could try the tablets "Rescue" or do you have any other suggestion. I dont want to give him drugs which may have side effects. I have dewormed him. Other than that he is a very happy active dog and would put some of the soccer world cup players to shame with his amazing ball skills!!

Thanks for your time.

You're very welcome. I'm sorry to hear that Jack is having these problems.

It's interesting that you noticed Jack's symptoms improved when on the homeopathic medication. As far as I know, there are no homeopathic medications that consistently work to stop seizures. But, read on, as I have a theory as to why you may be seeing an improvement.

Most dogs who have seizures this frequently do need prescription medication in order to control the seizures. We will usually use either phenobarbitol or potassium bromide or a combination of the two. In most cases the benefits of the medication by far outweigh the risks.

If you truly do believe that the "storm" medication is working for Jack, it is not likely because the medication has a direct effect on his seizures. However, I have seen some dogs who will have seizures in response to stress. So, if we can do something to lower the stress level, then we can reduce the number of seizures they have. I believe the "rescue" tablets you are talking about may be something called rescue remedy.

Rescue remedy is unlikely to cause any harm, but I do not believe there is any scientific proof that it really helps. That being said, it probably won't hurt to try.

It is also possible that the seizures were caused by something temporary (i.e. liver damage due to a toxin ingestion) and that he is recovered by now and perhaps doesn't need any medication.

Has Jack had any bloodwork done? It would be good to see if there is a medical cause for his seizures. If his bloodwork is clear then if he does continue to have seizures I would not hesitate to put him on a prescription medication for seizures. You have probably heard that phenobarbitol can be hard on the liver, but it is very rare that we see liver problems in a dog on the correct dosage of this medication.

I hope Jack continues to do well!

Cancer in lung? Hello You answered already a questions with respect to my dog Mara (x rays: lots of... (28207 views)

Black skin patches on dog. My dog started developing patches on his side a few months ago. His hair is falling... (16319 views)

Possible cruciate tear. I am currently fostering an overweight husky/lab cross (Working on the weight... (6986 views)

Home remedy for ear infection? Hello, My golden bailey was sprayed by a skunk in September, his shots are up to... (12464 views)

Lab is not eating. my dog is a labrador retriever and about 9 years old. he was a solid eater and never... (6881 views)

Can I use Trifexis now? The flea population is horrible in WV this year, like most of the eastern US. We... (13037 views)

Panting at night on steroids. my 12 year old black lab is on steroids for an auto immune disease and the medicine... (6633 views)

Bitten by copperhead snake. My mom's 14 week old puppy got bit by a snake. Didn't see the snake. What should... (9449 views)

Eyes rolled back in head. About 3 months ago, Bruce's eyes rolled back in his head and become very blood shot.... (42418 views)

Questions about Feliway. Am interested in buying Feliway for scratching but need to know the ingredients.... (17442 views)