Homeopathic seizure control.

Breed: Jack Russell
I have adopted a dog Jack aged 7. He has seizures which last about 3-5 minutes and in the 3 months I have had him he has had about 15seizures. He does not fall over oe anything but goes rigid and trembles and drools. I had some homeopathic tablets called Storm that I was once given to calm a dog I took on an aeroplane. I tried giving one of these to Jack and it seems to work. I am running out of the tablets and cannot find anymore. The bottle does not give any details of what the tablets are made up of. I understand from his previous owner who has emigrated that the fits started when he was 1 and a half. Do you think I could try the tablets "Rescue" or do you have any other suggestion. I dont want to give him drugs which may have side effects. I have dewormed him. Other than that he is a very happy active dog and would put some of the soccer world cup players to shame with his amazing ball skills!!

Thanks for your time.

You're very welcome. I'm sorry to hear that Jack is having these problems.

It's interesting that you noticed Jack's symptoms improved when on the homeopathic medication. As far as I know, there are no homeopathic medications that consistently work to stop seizures. But, read on, as I have a theory as to why you may be seeing an improvement.

Most dogs who have seizures this frequently do need prescription medication in order to control the seizures. We will usually use either phenobarbitol or potassium bromide or a combination of the two. In most cases the benefits of the medication by far outweigh the risks.

If you truly do believe that the "storm" medication is working for Jack, it is not likely because the medication has a direct effect on his seizures. However, I have seen some dogs who will have seizures in response to stress. So, if we can do something to lower the stress level, then we can reduce the number of seizures they have. I believe the "rescue" tablets you are talking about may be something called rescue remedy.

Rescue remedy is unlikely to cause any harm, but I do not believe there is any scientific proof that it really helps. That being said, it probably won't hurt to try.

It is also possible that the seizures were caused by something temporary (i.e. liver damage due to a toxin ingestion) and that he is recovered by now and perhaps doesn't need any medication.

Has Jack had any bloodwork done? It would be good to see if there is a medical cause for his seizures. If his bloodwork is clear then if he does continue to have seizures I would not hesitate to put him on a prescription medication for seizures. You have probably heard that phenobarbitol can be hard on the liver, but it is very rare that we see liver problems in a dog on the correct dosage of this medication.

I hope Jack continues to do well!

Aggressive cats when in heat. i have 2 cats cocoa & honey & honey jus had kittens but before honey had her kittens... (8527 views)

Guinea pig-Scab and itchy. my guinea pig is scratching a sore what is wrong with... (10791 views)

Not eating, losing weight. My cat is 12 years old and has recently shown a lack of appetite, weight loss and... (5451 views)

Male cat has large breasts. Recently (2-3 weeks), my 8 year old male tabby cat has, what seem to be, slightly... (19828 views)

Paralyzed dog. O.K, here is the deal. Our dog Sadie was diagnosed with a ruptured disc (L2) I... (45726 views)

Dog has liver cancer. Our 12 year old Golden/Lab mix has been diagnosed with liver cancer. What can we do... (24156 views)

Nosebleed, won't eat. We have an 11 yr old black lab. About 2 mos. ago we noticed blood dripping from her... (17499 views)

Fluid in chest? My dog has been having this weird breathing issue where whenever he lays down it... (13117 views)

Dog ate a grape. Hi, My 2 year old miniature schnauzer ate a red seedless grape about 20 minutes... (11779 views)

Lump on German Shepherd. This morning while brushing Sako, a 9-year-old GSD, I noted an area where hair is... (16063 views)