Homeopathic seizure control.

Breed: Jack Russell
I have adopted a dog Jack aged 7. He has seizures which last about 3-5 minutes and in the 3 months I have had him he has had about 15seizures. He does not fall over oe anything but goes rigid and trembles and drools. I had some homeopathic tablets called Storm that I was once given to calm a dog I took on an aeroplane. I tried giving one of these to Jack and it seems to work. I am running out of the tablets and cannot find anymore. The bottle does not give any details of what the tablets are made up of. I understand from his previous owner who has emigrated that the fits started when he was 1 and a half. Do you think I could try the tablets "Rescue" or do you have any other suggestion. I dont want to give him drugs which may have side effects. I have dewormed him. Other than that he is a very happy active dog and would put some of the soccer world cup players to shame with his amazing ball skills!!

Thanks for your time.

You're very welcome. I'm sorry to hear that Jack is having these problems.

It's interesting that you noticed Jack's symptoms improved when on the homeopathic medication. As far as I know, there are no homeopathic medications that consistently work to stop seizures. But, read on, as I have a theory as to why you may be seeing an improvement.

Most dogs who have seizures this frequently do need prescription medication in order to control the seizures. We will usually use either phenobarbitol or potassium bromide or a combination of the two. In most cases the benefits of the medication by far outweigh the risks.

If you truly do believe that the "storm" medication is working for Jack, it is not likely because the medication has a direct effect on his seizures. However, I have seen some dogs who will have seizures in response to stress. So, if we can do something to lower the stress level, then we can reduce the number of seizures they have. I believe the "rescue" tablets you are talking about may be something called rescue remedy.

Rescue remedy is unlikely to cause any harm, but I do not believe there is any scientific proof that it really helps. That being said, it probably won't hurt to try.

It is also possible that the seizures were caused by something temporary (i.e. liver damage due to a toxin ingestion) and that he is recovered by now and perhaps doesn't need any medication.

Has Jack had any bloodwork done? It would be good to see if there is a medical cause for his seizures. If his bloodwork is clear then if he does continue to have seizures I would not hesitate to put him on a prescription medication for seizures. You have probably heard that phenobarbitol can be hard on the liver, but it is very rare that we see liver problems in a dog on the correct dosage of this medication.

I hope Jack continues to do well!

Sore hips in 1 year old cat. I have a 1 year old cat and she has had "stiff back legs" since we got her at 8... (11568 views)

Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor Two years ago, Sheena was diagnosed with neurofibrosarcoma, or peripheral nerve... (11310 views)

Doesn't like s/d. My dog has bladder stones(a lot) and was put on Hills Prescription diet s/d Canine... (7933 views)

Dog licking at penis. Hi doc- Little background- Austin is 4- very active, outgoing. He has Addison's... (236856 views)

Dog won't walk. my dog has almost stoped walkin and jus crawls around,unless it like to get food of... (11839 views)

Sick Yorkie Buddy has been acting sick for about a week, being lethargic and unresponsive,... (4378 views)

Diarrhea and coughing. First off let me apologize for the convoluted description of the symptoms, but I... (4432 views)

Enlarged lymph nodes on chemo. My furry child was recently diagnosed Lymphoma, cells suggestive of T-cell. I do... (10819 views)

Factory Farms and CAFOS Hello my name is Alyssa. I am a senior at FD Roosevelt Senior High School. I am... (5634 views)

Do cats prefer litter? My cat just started using the bathroom floor and areas on the carpet at litter... (5931 views)