Homeopathic seizure control.

Breed: Jack Russell
I have adopted a dog Jack aged 7. He has seizures which last about 3-5 minutes and in the 3 months I have had him he has had about 15seizures. He does not fall over oe anything but goes rigid and trembles and drools. I had some homeopathic tablets called Storm that I was once given to calm a dog I took on an aeroplane. I tried giving one of these to Jack and it seems to work. I am running out of the tablets and cannot find anymore. The bottle does not give any details of what the tablets are made up of. I understand from his previous owner who has emigrated that the fits started when he was 1 and a half. Do you think I could try the tablets "Rescue" or do you have any other suggestion. I dont want to give him drugs which may have side effects. I have dewormed him. Other than that he is a very happy active dog and would put some of the soccer world cup players to shame with his amazing ball skills!!

Thanks for your time.

You're very welcome. I'm sorry to hear that Jack is having these problems.

It's interesting that you noticed Jack's symptoms improved when on the homeopathic medication. As far as I know, there are no homeopathic medications that consistently work to stop seizures. But, read on, as I have a theory as to why you may be seeing an improvement.

Most dogs who have seizures this frequently do need prescription medication in order to control the seizures. We will usually use either phenobarbitol or potassium bromide or a combination of the two. In most cases the benefits of the medication by far outweigh the risks.

If you truly do believe that the "storm" medication is working for Jack, it is not likely because the medication has a direct effect on his seizures. However, I have seen some dogs who will have seizures in response to stress. So, if we can do something to lower the stress level, then we can reduce the number of seizures they have. I believe the "rescue" tablets you are talking about may be something called rescue remedy.

Rescue remedy is unlikely to cause any harm, but I do not believe there is any scientific proof that it really helps. That being said, it probably won't hurt to try.

It is also possible that the seizures were caused by something temporary (i.e. liver damage due to a toxin ingestion) and that he is recovered by now and perhaps doesn't need any medication.

Has Jack had any bloodwork done? It would be good to see if there is a medical cause for his seizures. If his bloodwork is clear then if he does continue to have seizures I would not hesitate to put him on a prescription medication for seizures. You have probably heard that phenobarbitol can be hard on the liver, but it is very rare that we see liver problems in a dog on the correct dosage of this medication.

I hope Jack continues to do well!

Itchy hamster. What happens if my hamster is licking itself a lot of scratching itself? Also, what... (20564 views)

Dog eating dirt. My dog consumes grass and now wants to eat dirt when outside exercising despite a... (16339 views)

Cause of high ALP? mickey a male is 6 and 1/2 years old. he was prescribed on 8/12/11 rimadyl (1/2 75mg... (11783 views)

Large red spots on dog's stomach. When I got home from work today, my dog had several large red spots on his stomach.... (162117 views)

Coughing Dog. my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as... (13737 views)

KBr Side Effects? I read your answer about seeing severe side effects of KBR and would like your... (10598 views)

Hip Arthritis. Euthanasia? Hi Myself and my boyfriend have a complicated problem with no good answer. Our 9... (13531 views)

Dog has a crooked tail. We have a pure bred Staffy 5 months old. Her tail curls right over her back and... (14194 views)

Introducing kittens. hi, i have a 5 month old kitten, and have introduced an 8 week old kitten to the... (7889 views)

Dog in heat. My female min pin seams to be in heat for last week. she has a little blood around... (9609 views)