Should surgery be done?

Breed: labrabor
I have a female labrador, who is six year old and was nutered when she was 1 year old.

she is very overweight and weighs 33.8 kg. i cannot get weight off her.

today 6 th of april 2011, when running after a ball she injured one of her hind legs, i immediatly brought her to my vet who said she had damaged her cruicate ligament in her hind leg. he gave her an injection and sent me home with a bad of tablets - she is to get 1 a day for 1 week and then return to vet, whereupon he said he may have to perform surgery which he says will costs 400 euro (i live in ireland).

all day i have been reading information regarding surgery, and from what i can gather no one surgergy is successfull, the dogs weight is seriously against her, and some websites even say that studies have shown that surgery is often no more successfull than just rest etc.

therefore my question is should i go ahead and pay for the surgery (obviously money is a huge factor). i would have no problem paying for the surgery if i knew there was a high success rate, as i want to do the best for the dog. however im worried the vet will just press me to do surgery even though it may end up to be a total waste of money.

as an independant party what would you advise?

and if advising surgery - which surgery would you advise?

please take into account that i have been trying very hard over the last 2 years to get weight off the dog and she hasnt lost a pound. ive even been swimming her.

Surgery is always the best option when a dog tears a cruciate ligament. Sometimes if a very small dog (or a cat) has a CCL tear we can get away without doing surgery. But unfortunately for a larger dog, the leg will never heal properly without surgery.

There are different types of surgeries. I usually recommend either a TPLO or a TTA but these need to be done by orthopedic vets. In my practice this surgery is about $3000 Canadian, so yes, it is pricey.

I hope everything goes ok!

Pocket pets and cats. I have been considering adding a small pocket pet as a companion to my home. I... (3888 views)

21 year old cat is dying. THIS IS URGENt, BUT I DON'T HAVE 15.00 RIGHT NOW!! i THINK MY 21 YEAR OLD CAT IS... (12436 views)

Thin after back injury. A friend found a dog years ago on the side of the road with an broken back. Break... (11695 views)

Does Pet Calm Work? Dr. Marie My Bobbie has serious trembling normally during the evning and night.... (13855 views)

Frontline and Revolution safe for pregnant dogs. Dr. Marie my poor yorkie is pregnet and she got flees from my sisters new dog what... (47694 views)

In heat and shaking her head. My dog has been vomiting and had diarrhea for the last 2-3 days. She has been in... (5542 views)

Incontinence and balance issues. We have a dog breed and age unknown is a stray all of a sudden she has started... (17382 views)

Cat sick after prednisone. Two weeks ago LittleMan had something like an infection in the corners of his mouth... (20269 views)

Cerenia and FIP. Holly was diagnosed with the Corona Virus when she was only a few months old. It... (8343 views)

Lump on dog's lip. I have contacted you several times about my dog, Honey. I tend to over think things,... (72213 views)