Should surgery be done?

Breed: labrabor
I have a female labrador, who is six year old and was nutered when she was 1 year old.

she is very overweight and weighs 33.8 kg. i cannot get weight off her.

today 6 th of april 2011, when running after a ball she injured one of her hind legs, i immediatly brought her to my vet who said she had damaged her cruicate ligament in her hind leg. he gave her an injection and sent me home with a bad of tablets - she is to get 1 a day for 1 week and then return to vet, whereupon he said he may have to perform surgery which he says will costs 400 euro (i live in ireland).

all day i have been reading information regarding surgery, and from what i can gather no one surgergy is successfull, the dogs weight is seriously against her, and some websites even say that studies have shown that surgery is often no more successfull than just rest etc.

therefore my question is should i go ahead and pay for the surgery (obviously money is a huge factor). i would have no problem paying for the surgery if i knew there was a high success rate, as i want to do the best for the dog. however im worried the vet will just press me to do surgery even though it may end up to be a total waste of money.

as an independant party what would you advise?

and if advising surgery - which surgery would you advise?

please take into account that i have been trying very hard over the last 2 years to get weight off the dog and she hasnt lost a pound. ive even been swimming her.

Surgery is always the best option when a dog tears a cruciate ligament. Sometimes if a very small dog (or a cat) has a CCL tear we can get away without doing surgery. But unfortunately for a larger dog, the leg will never heal properly without surgery.

There are different types of surgeries. I usually recommend either a TPLO or a TTA but these need to be done by orthopedic vets. In my practice this surgery is about $3000 Canadian, so yes, it is pricey.

I hope everything goes ok!

Ketoconazole for dogs. How safe is it to give my dog ketoconazole 200 mg tab fur a fungal infection? The... (26863 views)

Do dogs get chicken pox? Hi my dog star has never had skin problems but recently my kids got chicken pox and... (48620 views)

Really bad skin issues. there is a PHOTO on the Pet-Forums-UK website, on the Dog Health sub-forum under Dog... (9505 views)

Vuvlar tumor in a cat. Hello, 2 weeks ago i had my russian blue sterilised cat (elderly not sure how old... (9930 views)

Diarrhea and lump on face. My dog is a female Husky, 12 years old, 45 pounds. She had severe diarrhea... (10093 views)

Itchy behind neck and ears. My cat, fuzzy, is starting to itch behind her neck, her ear area, base of her tail,... (9487 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (9086 views)

Dog with allergies. Dr, I'm afraid Max's allergies are getting the better of him. Symptom... (6889 views)

Black sore near anus. Hello Dr.Marie (I am SO grateful for you!), I have had my two dogs (same breeder)... (46613 views)

Brown spot on lip of dog. Greetings, I have noticed that my cat has problem with her mouth. On the lower... (10861 views)