Should surgery be done?

Breed: labrabor
I have a female labrador, who is six year old and was nutered when she was 1 year old.

she is very overweight and weighs 33.8 kg. i cannot get weight off her.

today 6 th of april 2011, when running after a ball she injured one of her hind legs, i immediatly brought her to my vet who said she had damaged her cruicate ligament in her hind leg. he gave her an injection and sent me home with a bad of tablets - she is to get 1 a day for 1 week and then return to vet, whereupon he said he may have to perform surgery which he says will costs 400 euro (i live in ireland).

all day i have been reading information regarding surgery, and from what i can gather no one surgergy is successfull, the dogs weight is seriously against her, and some websites even say that studies have shown that surgery is often no more successfull than just rest etc.

therefore my question is should i go ahead and pay for the surgery (obviously money is a huge factor). i would have no problem paying for the surgery if i knew there was a high success rate, as i want to do the best for the dog. however im worried the vet will just press me to do surgery even though it may end up to be a total waste of money.

as an independant party what would you advise?

and if advising surgery - which surgery would you advise?

please take into account that i have been trying very hard over the last 2 years to get weight off the dog and she hasnt lost a pound. ive even been swimming her.

Surgery is always the best option when a dog tears a cruciate ligament. Sometimes if a very small dog (or a cat) has a CCL tear we can get away without doing surgery. But unfortunately for a larger dog, the leg will never heal properly without surgery.

There are different types of surgeries. I usually recommend either a TPLO or a TTA but these need to be done by orthopedic vets. In my practice this surgery is about $3000 Canadian, so yes, it is pricey.

I hope everything goes ok!

Lump near spay incision. Dog has sore on paw looks like a circle and it's very tender to touch. It has... (23008 views)

Black poop and worms. my dog has worms, and we gave her medicine today but she wont eat anythingg and has... (11165 views)

Dog toe xray. I took my dog Cooper to the vet last week and he believed he had a bone... (21430 views)

Kittens not eating or nursing My cat had 5 kittens 5 weeks ago. Recently, she has stopped feeding them and taking... (12592 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hey Dr. Marie (and Happy Holidays!) I noticed about a week ago while petting my... (36431 views)

Do male cats go into heat? Hi, I recived a new male cat and I would like to know if exist a "tablett" or... (7311 views)

Why is my hamster biting me? My hamster bites me only when I take him out of his ball or exercise wheel. Even on... (12041 views)

urinating in the house Dr. Marie, Isabella is a healthy 13 yr old female cat. For a short period we... (6674 views)

Did air freshener kill my dog? hi. my dog, simon, a jack russell/poodle, died of kidney failure which was caused... (11042 views)

Bottom lip tremor. my poodle has recently developed a bottom lip tremor. What would cause... (30328 views)