Should surgery be done?

Breed: labrabor
I have a female labrador, who is six year old and was nutered when she was 1 year old.

she is very overweight and weighs 33.8 kg. i cannot get weight off her.

today 6 th of april 2011, when running after a ball she injured one of her hind legs, i immediatly brought her to my vet who said she had damaged her cruicate ligament in her hind leg. he gave her an injection and sent me home with a bad of tablets - she is to get 1 a day for 1 week and then return to vet, whereupon he said he may have to perform surgery which he says will costs 400 euro (i live in ireland).

all day i have been reading information regarding surgery, and from what i can gather no one surgergy is successfull, the dogs weight is seriously against her, and some websites even say that studies have shown that surgery is often no more successfull than just rest etc.

therefore my question is should i go ahead and pay for the surgery (obviously money is a huge factor). i would have no problem paying for the surgery if i knew there was a high success rate, as i want to do the best for the dog. however im worried the vet will just press me to do surgery even though it may end up to be a total waste of money.

as an independant party what would you advise?

and if advising surgery - which surgery would you advise?

please take into account that i have been trying very hard over the last 2 years to get weight off the dog and she hasnt lost a pound. ive even been swimming her.

Surgery is always the best option when a dog tears a cruciate ligament. Sometimes if a very small dog (or a cat) has a CCL tear we can get away without doing surgery. But unfortunately for a larger dog, the leg will never heal properly without surgery.

There are different types of surgeries. I usually recommend either a TPLO or a TTA but these need to be done by orthopedic vets. In my practice this surgery is about $3000 Canadian, so yes, it is pricey.

I hope everything goes ok!

How to keep dogs from breeding. Hi there, I have a one year old female Beagle/Boxer mix and a Lab/pitt mix... (7760 views)

Puffy cat ear. Dr. Marie, my cat Dexter has developed some type of a bump on his right ear. It's... (31741 views)

Staple in armpit. I just found a surgical staple in my dog's armpit! I'm taking her in first thing in... (7301 views)

Parvo protection. Hi Dr, My Golden is 7 weeks now. I will be taking him home next week after he's... (75713 views)

Red bumps on belly. My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has a few red bumps on his belly(mostly around his... (15838 views)

Dog sneezed out food. Hi there, I have a couple of concerns. My chi is about 6 and a half years... (20500 views)

High ALKP and bile acids. Hi Dr. Marie I value your opinion so much and I do respect and understand that... (19188 views)

Possible degenerative myelopathy. Hi Dr. Marie, My 11 year old German shepherd has been taking prevacox, tramedol,... (42366 views)

Itchy feet and nose. Hi, my dog started about 3 days ago with very itchy paws to the point that they are... (9462 views)

Cat died suddenly. 10-11-2010 Dear Dr Marie, almost exactly similar to the post:... (30324 views)