Dog drinking and panting lots.

Breed: bassit hound
my dog has been drinking and panting a lot since i changed his dog food last summer. found out it was high in protein. in the process of changing it to a lower protein. he has had blood in his urine twice in the last year. antibiodic clear it up my the next day. the vet ran a chemistry panel to check some stuff and said it was all normal. also a glucose was run and it was negative. he seems to be a little low on energy, but it is very hot and humid outside. wondering if the chemisrty panel would show if he is having thyroid problems or CHF or fluid on his lungs, i feel like i am being over concerned. i have called the vet and i feel like i am driving them crazy, but they are very nice.

thank you for your time.

Thanks for your question about Oliver.

I am suspecting that the changes you are seeing in him are not related to the food.

What you have described makes me wonder about the possibility of Cushing's disease. We don't always see signs of Cushing's on regular bloodwork.

Dogs with Cushing's can be more susceptible to urinary tract infections which may be why there were two episodes of blood in the urine before.

Some chemistry panels will test a T4 which is a thyroid level, but not always. However, hypothyroidism doesn't cause an increase in thirst and urination.

I would suggest phoning your vet to ask about the possibility of Cushing's disease. The best way to diagnose it is a blood test called a low dose dexamethasone test. A less expensive test is a urine test but it is not always as accurate. Your vet can go over the differences with you.

I hope this helps!

Bitch searching for dead puppies. my papillon bitch gave birth to a litter of premature pups. sadly they are all dead... (32143 views)

Dog ate raisins. My 16lb. 10 month old beagle ate about 20-25 raisins yesterday at approx. 6pm and we... (143808 views)

Chicken jerky from Thailand. We hear about the chicken jerkey from China, how about the jerkey from Thiland. Do... (8792 views)

Pancreatitis in dogs. A few days ago my little 8 pounds, 2 years old chihuahua was having an upset... (26726 views)

Kidney disease in a cat. First of all I am asking you because I am under extreme financial constraints right... (28912 views)

Any problems after inguinal hernia surgery? I purchased a yorkie 2months old who recently had a inguinao hernia surgery and i... (14293 views)

Neuter at 8 weeks? We are trying to decide when to get our male kitten spayed. He is around 2 months... (8427 views)

Pooping outside of box. Hi, I have a 13 year old cat named Dagmar. Apart from being slightly overweight, she... (8863 views)

Frontline Plus and Advantage Multi? Can I give my dog Advantage Multi plus the Frontline Plus. I know the Advantage... (21134 views)

Stimulus sensitive seizures. Hello, My dog is part pomerainean and part something else. He is about 25lbs. He is... (22649 views)