Dog drinking and panting lots.

Breed: bassit hound
my dog has been drinking and panting a lot since i changed his dog food last summer. found out it was high in protein. in the process of changing it to a lower protein. he has had blood in his urine twice in the last year. antibiodic clear it up my the next day. the vet ran a chemistry panel to check some stuff and said it was all normal. also a glucose was run and it was negative. he seems to be a little low on energy, but it is very hot and humid outside. wondering if the chemisrty panel would show if he is having thyroid problems or CHF or fluid on his lungs, i feel like i am being over concerned. i have called the vet and i feel like i am driving them crazy, but they are very nice.

thank you for your time.

Thanks for your question about Oliver.

I am suspecting that the changes you are seeing in him are not related to the food.

What you have described makes me wonder about the possibility of Cushing's disease. We don't always see signs of Cushing's on regular bloodwork.

Dogs with Cushing's can be more susceptible to urinary tract infections which may be why there were two episodes of blood in the urine before.

Some chemistry panels will test a T4 which is a thyroid level, but not always. However, hypothyroidism doesn't cause an increase in thirst and urination.

I would suggest phoning your vet to ask about the possibility of Cushing's disease. The best way to diagnose it is a blood test called a low dose dexamethasone test. A less expensive test is a urine test but it is not always as accurate. Your vet can go over the differences with you.

I hope this helps!

Fleas on a newborn kitten. My cat just had kittens and they have fleas. What can I do to get rid of fleas on... (9968 views)

Limping, stiff chihuahua. Hey my chiuahua dog hasn't been himself lately. He walks really stiff and can not... (16251 views)

Anal tumor. I have an 8 year old male labrador retriever, we has terrible hips problems in which... (16298 views)

Milk coming out nose. Hi my dog has just had pups 5 weeks ago an since day one, one of the puppies has... (32744 views)

Dog's eye is closed. Hello, My dog was playing with his toy and shaking it around and when he was... (43609 views)

Puppy ich on skin. why does my puppy have white ich on his skin?Is there any cure to it?Is there any... (16931 views)

Cat with green patch on skin. first i would like to thank you for your time. When my cat was a kitten i thought... (20489 views)

Vet care discount for seniors. My cat vomited today(29.10.10) and she is in a quite bad mood, i want to get a check... (13406 views)

Is vet just trying to make money? I have 3 cats aged 3, 4 and 7. Lately every time I walk into my DVM's off ice I... (10866 views)

low protein food My brother's cat, who is about 14 years old, recently got bloodwork done at the vet,... (10614 views)