Dog drinking and panting lots.

Breed: bassit hound
my dog has been drinking and panting a lot since i changed his dog food last summer. found out it was high in protein. in the process of changing it to a lower protein. he has had blood in his urine twice in the last year. antibiodic clear it up my the next day. the vet ran a chemistry panel to check some stuff and said it was all normal. also a glucose was run and it was negative. he seems to be a little low on energy, but it is very hot and humid outside. wondering if the chemisrty panel would show if he is having thyroid problems or CHF or fluid on his lungs, i feel like i am being over concerned. i have called the vet and i feel like i am driving them crazy, but they are very nice.

thank you for your time.

Thanks for your question about Oliver.

I am suspecting that the changes you are seeing in him are not related to the food.

What you have described makes me wonder about the possibility of Cushing's disease. We don't always see signs of Cushing's on regular bloodwork.

Dogs with Cushing's can be more susceptible to urinary tract infections which may be why there were two episodes of blood in the urine before.

Some chemistry panels will test a T4 which is a thyroid level, but not always. However, hypothyroidism doesn't cause an increase in thirst and urination.

I would suggest phoning your vet to ask about the possibility of Cushing's disease. The best way to diagnose it is a blood test called a low dose dexamethasone test. A less expensive test is a urine test but it is not always as accurate. Your vet can go over the differences with you.

I hope this helps!

Kitten with large belly. Ted is a name we have given to a stray cat that has been coming to our house for the... (10895 views)

Dog peeing on furniture Skyler is 2 years old and is house broken but sometimes he will come back inside and... (9162 views)

Cat fell from the balcony. HI,Please,i Know i Didnt paid you! But i dont have credit card,and i think my cat... (10423 views)

Sard Oxy Plus. My cat accidently stood in some Sard Oxy Plus stain remover then licked her paws and... (8386 views)

Black spot on toe. Hello. I was cutting my puppies toe nail today and noticed a new black spot on her... (8700 views)

Poodle with leg problems. My dog is a small size poodle. she is now 2 years old when she turned 1 she started... (8119 views)

Abscess on paw. has a very swollen front paw that spilt open between middle toes puss and blood ... (46435 views)

Separation anxiety. Dear Dr. Marie, My family and I adopted Champ, who is a 2 1/2 year old... (7222 views)

Urinating in home. My cat is urinating all over my home. We recently moved into it about 2 months ago.... (7828 views)

Cat urinating on bed. Good Morning Over the past two days my cat has decided to urinate on my bed. His... (15899 views)