Dog drinking and panting lots.

Breed: bassit hound
my dog has been drinking and panting a lot since i changed his dog food last summer. found out it was high in protein. in the process of changing it to a lower protein. he has had blood in his urine twice in the last year. antibiodic clear it up my the next day. the vet ran a chemistry panel to check some stuff and said it was all normal. also a glucose was run and it was negative. he seems to be a little low on energy, but it is very hot and humid outside. wondering if the chemisrty panel would show if he is having thyroid problems or CHF or fluid on his lungs, i feel like i am being over concerned. i have called the vet and i feel like i am driving them crazy, but they are very nice.

thank you for your time.

Thanks for your question about Oliver.

I am suspecting that the changes you are seeing in him are not related to the food.

What you have described makes me wonder about the possibility of Cushing's disease. We don't always see signs of Cushing's on regular bloodwork.

Dogs with Cushing's can be more susceptible to urinary tract infections which may be why there were two episodes of blood in the urine before.

Some chemistry panels will test a T4 which is a thyroid level, but not always. However, hypothyroidism doesn't cause an increase in thirst and urination.

I would suggest phoning your vet to ask about the possibility of Cushing's disease. The best way to diagnose it is a blood test called a low dose dexamethasone test. A less expensive test is a urine test but it is not always as accurate. Your vet can go over the differences with you.

I hope this helps!

Licking at foot. About 4 years ago we had one front dewclaw removed, after ruby caught it on... (6628 views)

Watery diarrhea. My cat has had consistent diarrhea and vomiting for some time. Her vet began... (3405 views)

Strange problem with cat. I am having a serious issue. I have an 11 year old female indoor cat, never fixed. ... (7617 views)

Does my cat have feline leukemia? have a 6 year old female cat with up to date FeLV and FIV vaccinations. She has the... (3482 views)

MacuGuard Ocular Support My 13 year-old, 16lbs, Poodle toy is on the Royal Canin Satiety Support, as... (3028 views)

Recipe for skunk odor. My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the... (7981 views)

Incontinence she will be lying on the floor and she just pees and does not know or realize she... (6880 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma. Tessa has a little black growth on her eyelid. My vet has said it's a tumor and... (11346 views)

Flea problems. WELL MY CAT HAD FLEA'S AND I DEFLEAD THE CAT THE PRODUCTS I USED TO DEFLEA MY CAT... (7297 views)

Liver cancer questions. My dog Penny was on trilo for Cushings - Dec 2010- then she went into Addisons went... (5104 views)