Dog drinking and panting lots.

Breed: bassit hound
my dog has been drinking and panting a lot since i changed his dog food last summer. found out it was high in protein. in the process of changing it to a lower protein. he has had blood in his urine twice in the last year. antibiodic clear it up my the next day. the vet ran a chemistry panel to check some stuff and said it was all normal. also a glucose was run and it was negative. he seems to be a little low on energy, but it is very hot and humid outside. wondering if the chemisrty panel would show if he is having thyroid problems or CHF or fluid on his lungs, i feel like i am being over concerned. i have called the vet and i feel like i am driving them crazy, but they are very nice.

thank you for your time.

Thanks for your question about Oliver.

I am suspecting that the changes you are seeing in him are not related to the food.

What you have described makes me wonder about the possibility of Cushing's disease. We don't always see signs of Cushing's on regular bloodwork.

Dogs with Cushing's can be more susceptible to urinary tract infections which may be why there were two episodes of blood in the urine before.

Some chemistry panels will test a T4 which is a thyroid level, but not always. However, hypothyroidism doesn't cause an increase in thirst and urination.

I would suggest phoning your vet to ask about the possibility of Cushing's disease. The best way to diagnose it is a blood test called a low dose dexamethasone test. A less expensive test is a urine test but it is not always as accurate. Your vet can go over the differences with you.

I hope this helps!

Brewer's Yeast for fleas. Is brewers yeast and garlic a safe treatment for deterring fleas and ticks,... (20394 views)

Rat with facial swelling. My rat has developed swelling on the left side of her face. Her entire cheek has... (24413 views)

Remend (The dog is not mine) A friend is asking me to get Remend for their dog from a... (25922 views)

Wounds by anus. hello, i have a boxer and it is the third time that he has some kind of wound inside... (21702 views)

Blood on penis. My son's 3 yr old dog is fixed but had sex with a female dog. Now he is bleeding... (18542 views)

Dog suddenly paralyzed. My beloved Pug, Newt, passed away last October.She was 12 years old. She developed a... (47195 views)

Kittens not eating or nursing My cat had 5 kittens 5 weeks ago. Recently, she has stopped feeding them and taking... (14065 views)

Repeated bouts of Giardia. Our 4 month old Boston terrier Gidget was diagnosed with giardia over 6 weeks ago.... (8370 views)

Cause of death? Hi Dr. Marie, I\'m sorry that I can\'t afford to pay for an answer, but your... (6562 views)

Guinea pig losing teeth. its mouth is sore and can only chew mashed up food its loosing his teeth to its not... (10085 views)