Cat having trouble urinating.

Breed: calico
I have a cat, a very lively talkative cat, who is displaying health problems. She spent a lot of time in the litter box the past couple of weeks and on the plastic bags around the apt. leaving small bloody drops. I gave her vitamin E doses and now there is no more blood. She still crouches in the litter box a lot and on the plastic leaving little drops of urine. Once it was smelly, the rest of the time it was just like water. She may have let out stools ok, but I'm not sure because I have three cats up here and another one visiting. I feed them holistically and they usually don't have many problems, but I'm afraid this one has some sort of blockage preventing her from letting out much urine. She is lively and racing around the place as usual, but she may be looking down a bit more. She hasn't been to the vet in a while because it's too expensive. If she has a problem they can fix however, I'm willing to make an appointment. Can you advise me?

Poor ZoZo. She sounds very uncomfortable.

If ZoZo were a male cat I would be advising that you take him to the vet immediately. This is because the small urethra that male cats have make them very prone to a life threatening urinary tract blockage. A urinary tract blockage is extremely uncommon in female cats though. I have seen it, but only a couple of times in my career.

The most common reason for a female cat to have urinary straining and blood is a condition called interstitial cystitis. This is an unusual situation where there is inflammation in the bladder. It feels just like a urinary tract infection but there is not any bacteria there.

We don't know what causes interstitial cystitis. For some cats they get bouts of it when they are stressed. I have some clients that know that when company comes over at Christmas time the cat will probably have another bout. But, most of the time no cause is found.

We don't know the exact cure for interstitial cystitis. Sometimes it will just go away on its own within a few days. But usually I will prescribe small doses of an oral anti-inflammatory drug called Metacam to use when a cat has flareups.

There are other possibilities though. A urinary tract infection is possible although not as common as interstitial cystitis. Also, bladder stones or crystals are possible.

Really the best option is to have a vet examine ZoZo. They will get a urine sample and find out what the problem is. If it is interstitial cystitis they can get you medication that you can use during flareups.

I'm happy that it doesn't seem as serious as I thought it might have been, but I will follow your advice and set up an appointment for her. Thank you for your input.

Why is hamster quiet? what's wrong with my hamster... had her out for half an hour and she just lay on my... (18121 views)

Neuter at 8 weeks? We are trying to decide when to get our male kitten spayed. He is around 2 months... (6142 views)

Natural treatment for fever in a cat. Hello, My friend's cat is suffering from fever. I would like to know... (7209 views)

Did cat die from eating fertilizer? Hello, a couple of days ago I found one of my cats dead in the garden. Although he... (10639 views)

Maggots in guinea pig cage. Dr. Marie, I found maggots in my guinea pig cage today. what should I do? They seem... (19725 views)

Sore head from bow. Hello, My dog got her bow caught and it ripped the hair out of the top of her head.... (6614 views)

Disc problems. Hello, Two weeks ago my 9 year old Black Lab start to have problems with his hind... (10862 views)

Itchy by tail Dr. Marie, my dog always kind of chews/bites/scratches under the right side of his... (6755 views)

Leave light on for dog? Is it necessary to leave the lights on for your dog when you go out in the evening... (34130 views)

Dime sized sore above eye. Turbo has a dime size sore just above his left eye. Ive tried washing with peroxide... (17153 views)