Cat having trouble urinating.

Breed: calico
I have a cat, a very lively talkative cat, who is displaying health problems. She spent a lot of time in the litter box the past couple of weeks and on the plastic bags around the apt. leaving small bloody drops. I gave her vitamin E doses and now there is no more blood. She still crouches in the litter box a lot and on the plastic leaving little drops of urine. Once it was smelly, the rest of the time it was just like water. She may have let out stools ok, but I'm not sure because I have three cats up here and another one visiting. I feed them holistically and they usually don't have many problems, but I'm afraid this one has some sort of blockage preventing her from letting out much urine. She is lively and racing around the place as usual, but she may be looking down a bit more. She hasn't been to the vet in a while because it's too expensive. If she has a problem they can fix however, I'm willing to make an appointment. Can you advise me?

Poor ZoZo. She sounds very uncomfortable.

If ZoZo were a male cat I would be advising that you take him to the vet immediately. This is because the small urethra that male cats have make them very prone to a life threatening urinary tract blockage. A urinary tract blockage is extremely uncommon in female cats though. I have seen it, but only a couple of times in my career.

The most common reason for a female cat to have urinary straining and blood is a condition called interstitial cystitis. This is an unusual situation where there is inflammation in the bladder. It feels just like a urinary tract infection but there is not any bacteria there.

We don't know what causes interstitial cystitis. For some cats they get bouts of it when they are stressed. I have some clients that know that when company comes over at Christmas time the cat will probably have another bout. But, most of the time no cause is found.

We don't know the exact cure for interstitial cystitis. Sometimes it will just go away on its own within a few days. But usually I will prescribe small doses of an oral anti-inflammatory drug called Metacam to use when a cat has flareups.

There are other possibilities though. A urinary tract infection is possible although not as common as interstitial cystitis. Also, bladder stones or crystals are possible.

Really the best option is to have a vet examine ZoZo. They will get a urine sample and find out what the problem is. If it is interstitial cystitis they can get you medication that you can use during flareups.

I'm happy that it doesn't seem as serious as I thought it might have been, but I will follow your advice and set up an appointment for her. Thank you for your input.

Lab gets into the garbage. Hi. I have a 75-lb. yellow lab. She was rescued from a breeder when she was a year... (8150 views)

Licking his penis. my indoor cat is constantly going to his litter box about every 10 mins or so and... (9593 views)

Daschund with sore neck. My dog was perfectly fine leading up to and on the day he received his vaccines. He... (7155 views)

Double dose Metacam. We accidently gave our dog two doses of metacam. He is 80 pounds. We give him 1.5... (43360 views)

Pelvis fracture. Dear Dr Marie, My dog currently has a broken pelvis that is not mending. It... (16633 views)

Frontline and bathing. Hi Dr. Marie, I applied Frontline Plus to my puppy the same day that he had a... (21883 views)

Sore eye in a dog. Hi, My Yorkie's left eye is squinting; it looks like she can't open it. She has... (23449 views)

Aural Hematoma my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself.... (9547 views)

Crying after using litter box. After my cat eats, drinks, gets up or uses the cat box she cries this very strange... (23584 views)

deramaxx, Dasuquin and AdvantixIII Is it ok for Casey to be on deramaxx desaquin and k9advantix 2... (6660 views)