Cat having trouble urinating.

Breed: calico
I have a cat, a very lively talkative cat, who is displaying health problems. She spent a lot of time in the litter box the past couple of weeks and on the plastic bags around the apt. leaving small bloody drops. I gave her vitamin E doses and now there is no more blood. She still crouches in the litter box a lot and on the plastic leaving little drops of urine. Once it was smelly, the rest of the time it was just like water. She may have let out stools ok, but I'm not sure because I have three cats up here and another one visiting. I feed them holistically and they usually don't have many problems, but I'm afraid this one has some sort of blockage preventing her from letting out much urine. She is lively and racing around the place as usual, but she may be looking down a bit more. She hasn't been to the vet in a while because it's too expensive. If she has a problem they can fix however, I'm willing to make an appointment. Can you advise me?

Poor ZoZo. She sounds very uncomfortable.

If ZoZo were a male cat I would be advising that you take him to the vet immediately. This is because the small urethra that male cats have make them very prone to a life threatening urinary tract blockage. A urinary tract blockage is extremely uncommon in female cats though. I have seen it, but only a couple of times in my career.

The most common reason for a female cat to have urinary straining and blood is a condition called interstitial cystitis. This is an unusual situation where there is inflammation in the bladder. It feels just like a urinary tract infection but there is not any bacteria there.

We don't know what causes interstitial cystitis. For some cats they get bouts of it when they are stressed. I have some clients that know that when company comes over at Christmas time the cat will probably have another bout. But, most of the time no cause is found.

We don't know the exact cure for interstitial cystitis. Sometimes it will just go away on its own within a few days. But usually I will prescribe small doses of an oral anti-inflammatory drug called Metacam to use when a cat has flareups.

There are other possibilities though. A urinary tract infection is possible although not as common as interstitial cystitis. Also, bladder stones or crystals are possible.

Really the best option is to have a vet examine ZoZo. They will get a urine sample and find out what the problem is. If it is interstitial cystitis they can get you medication that you can use during flareups.

I'm happy that it doesn't seem as serious as I thought it might have been, but I will follow your advice and set up an appointment for her. Thank you for your input.

Immodium overdose? I may have overdosed my chihuahua on immodium ad yesterday. I gave her a humans dose... (18177 views)

Joint pain in a dog. Hello my dog Menew, is a Akita/husky he is 15 years old and has arthrities, some... (14323 views)

Information on parvo virus. Hello dr., I am a senior in high school doing a senior project and my topic... (17188 views)

Metacam safe for dogs? Hi, We have a 2 year old Lab mix from the local shelter. We adopted him as a puppy... (14011 views)

Cat has a sore mouth. My cat does this thing with her mouth as if there's something stuck in her tooth but... (17552 views)

Draining fluid for heart failure. My dog has Congestive Heart Failure. He is under the care of a veterinarian and... (16767 views)

Dog with large tumor on neck. My Dog Re has a large Growth on hes neck, we live 100kms from any vet so with hes... (36408 views)

Facial lymph nodes on a dog. My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor... (22026 views)

arthritis in 17 year old dog I have a 17 year old female german shepard/black lab/collie mix that weighs 45... (78981 views)

Painful erection My 9 month old dog, Jack, has been getting erections that last up to about 10... (21538 views)