Swollen ankle in my dog.

Breed: Labrador
My Labrador has the right back leg ankle joint bigger than his left one. 15 days ago he started limping and had difficulties going up the stairs , we went to the vet and he gave him antiflamatories for 10 days which are now over his right ankle joint is still bigger than the left one and when getting up after he rests or has slept he is putting carefully weight on this leg and limps for a little time after this he has no problems running jumping or taking the stairs. Do you have any idea what could it be and what to do next.
Thank you

The first thing that we worry about when a dog has a swollen hock (ankle joint) is that he has injured the joint somehow. However, if it was a minor sprain, then it really should be better after the 10 days of anti-inflammatories. If it is not better by now, then it means that there is something more serious going on.

It is possible that this is a more serious injury than a sprain. It may be that there is ligament damage or even a break somewhere. Because of this, the next step is probably to xray the joint. However, hock xrays can be difficult to interpret. But, if there is an obvious break then the vet should be able to see it.

Another possibility is some type of autoimmune disease such as polyarthritis. Polyarthritis usually affects multiple joints but I have seen dogs that just have one leg affected.

Another possibility is an infection in the joint. It could be a bacterial infection or it could be a fungal infection.

To diagnose an immune mediated disease, or an infection the next step (providing that xrays don't give an answer) will be to do a joint tap. This is usually something that we do either under a full anesthetic or deep sedation. The vet will put a sterile needle into the joint and take out some joint fluid. They will probably need to send the fluid away to a lab to find out what it contains.

I hope that things improve soon!

Rest for cruciate tears. Is there any unequivical, clinical evidence of a positive effect of... (10712 views)

Dog bite wound. Dear Doctor, with my dog one day ago happend accident, he was in fight with another... (5498 views)

Puppy died suddenly. I came home after being gone for 3 hours. We have baby Pomeranians 6 weeks old. They... (18182 views)

Sterile nodular panniculitis? Hi, My dog has a patch of nodules on his neck. I took him to our normal vet five... (29363 views)

Constipated cat. Hi Dr. Marie, The last time I emailed you (about a year ago), our cat, Keane, was... (14255 views)

Did my cat suffer? Last Tuesday night one of our cats went outside. He never reappeared. My boyfriend... (14265 views)

Did I do the right thing? Hello Dr. Marie, I am grieving today as I had my 12 year old cat put down yesterday... (9848 views)

Large mammary lump. Hi Dr Marie My dog Jenna is 13. Lately i have been aware that she has developed a... (8827 views)

Dental cleaning extend dog's life? My Pug Chocko has a tooth that feels loose. I think it's his lower central incisor... (6039 views)

Lumps on hips. My dog is five years old female golden/lab. Three weeks ago I noticed two bumps at... (15100 views)