Swollen ankle in my dog.

Breed: Labrador
My Labrador has the right back leg ankle joint bigger than his left one. 15 days ago he started limping and had difficulties going up the stairs , we went to the vet and he gave him antiflamatories for 10 days which are now over his right ankle joint is still bigger than the left one and when getting up after he rests or has slept he is putting carefully weight on this leg and limps for a little time after this he has no problems running jumping or taking the stairs. Do you have any idea what could it be and what to do next.
Thank you

The first thing that we worry about when a dog has a swollen hock (ankle joint) is that he has injured the joint somehow. However, if it was a minor sprain, then it really should be better after the 10 days of anti-inflammatories. If it is not better by now, then it means that there is something more serious going on.

It is possible that this is a more serious injury than a sprain. It may be that there is ligament damage or even a break somewhere. Because of this, the next step is probably to xray the joint. However, hock xrays can be difficult to interpret. But, if there is an obvious break then the vet should be able to see it.

Another possibility is some type of autoimmune disease such as polyarthritis. Polyarthritis usually affects multiple joints but I have seen dogs that just have one leg affected.

Another possibility is an infection in the joint. It could be a bacterial infection or it could be a fungal infection.

To diagnose an immune mediated disease, or an infection the next step (providing that xrays don't give an answer) will be to do a joint tap. This is usually something that we do either under a full anesthetic or deep sedation. The vet will put a sterile needle into the joint and take out some joint fluid. They will probably need to send the fluid away to a lab to find out what it contains.

I hope that things improve soon!

Dasuquin causing allergies. About 5 months ago, my dog injured his leg during a walk. I took him to the vet &... (15050 views)

Brewer's Yeast for fleas. Is brewers yeast and garlic a safe treatment for deterring fleas and ticks,... (20906 views)

Pill stuck in cat's mouth. Hi Dr. Marie. I took my cat to the Vet on Thursday for 6 month blood work. She is... (8811 views)

Cat is burnt on belly. My cat seems to have a burnt patch on her belly. I don't know if this is from... (11091 views)

Cat has an itchy head. Hello, my cat's head is very itchy. She has been wearing a e-collar for a year... (11319 views)

2 week old puppy won't nurse. 2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with... (18135 views)

Swollen face after fight. My miniature pinscher was attacked by a boxer a few days ago. Her wounds have... (13750 views)

Anemic dog. Hi, I'm really worried about my dog Sammy. He was at the vet a couple of days ago... (11033 views)

Stroke or brain tumor? I have been doing a lot of searching on the internet over the weekend and am glad... (12889 views)

Bassett hound neck pain, etc. Our dog Lola came to us as a stray about 3 yrs ago. She is about 7 years old and... (14514 views)