Stimulus sensitive seizures.

Breed: pomerainean mix
Hello, My dog is part pomerainean and part something else. He is about 25lbs. He is also 16+ years old. He is starting to show his aging more and more. He has some hip displacment , getting cateracts i believe he also cant hear very well. For the last year or so he seems at times to have trouble keeping his balance and walking a straight line. Like he is being pulled to one side. All that being said the main reason i am contacting you is this. About a year ago i was playing my electric guitar kinda loud and all of the sudden rambo started freaking out. He was barking wildly and flopping around on the ground. His heart was beating very hard and fast also. I took him to the emergency vet and they told me he probably had a siezure and to just watch him. Then about 3 months ago while my wife was running the vacume he had another episode like the first one. These siezures or what ever they are last around 45 minutes from start to finish . Then today i was outside cutting a piece of wood with a skillsaw and boom, he went into another episode. Running around barking wildly , running into things, flopping around on the floor. He actually cut his lip open this time because he was banging his head on the wall before i could get to him. Its becomming very apparent to me now that these seizures are being brought on because of loud noises. Wich is a little wierd because as i said he is almost deaf. He has not had such an episode without there being a loud noise first. He almost never barks normally either. Does that seem possible to you that loud noises could trigger these episodes? Also i am wondering if maybe this could also be connected some how to his equilibrium problem. Like maybe he might have an ear infection and the loud noise maybe hurts his ear so much it causes a siezure? Obviously you would probably wonder why i dont just take him to the vet to check. When i took him to the emergency vet i mentioned that possibility to him and he said he did not see an ear infection. But it didnt seem to me that he really checked his ear that closely for the $250 he charged me. I just want to know another opinion. Right now i am not working so my money is kinda tight. Thats not to say i cant come up with a little for the vet.. So tell me what you think...Thanks

Aw, poor little Rambo. It sounds like these episodes are very unsettling.

What you are describing sounds like something that we call "Stimulus-sensitive seizures". In dogs, the most common reason for a stimulus sensitive seizure is some type of noise. In people, this type of seizure can be triggered by flashing lights (like strobe lights for example).

It's interesting that some noises will set him off even though he is deaf. My guess is that he can still hear certain frequencies and this is what is setting off the seizures.

He may be able to be helped with an anti-seizure medication such as phenobarbital.

There is a possibility that his seizures could be caused by a tumor in his brain. Unfortunately if this is the case then the phenobarbital may only help temporarily.

I hope he is feeling better soon!

Just 1 more quick question , about his problem with his eqilibiam , could that be caused by an ear infection?

While an inner ear infection can cause equilibrium problems, it really shouldn't cause the seizures that you are describing. Seizures originate from the cortex which is kind of like the outer covering of the brain, and an infection inside the ear shouldn't cause seizures.

One possible connection is if there was a tumor in the middle ear that was also affecting the cortex of the brain. But this is really not very common!

Limping kitten my kitten has started losing alot of weight and he is limping. his back left paw is... (9418 views)

CCNU chemotherapy. My 12.5 year old Boxer mix was diagnosed with malignant melanoma last week. Surgery... (10285 views)

Swollen eye. Hello dr. Marie. I have had my male cat since he was 8 weeks old and i adopted him... (11422 views)

Why did my cat die? my 10-year-old cat died today, she had lost weight had yesterday something happened... (11314 views)

Dog walking in circles my mother in laws dog just started acting real sick today he cant stand up or when... (26587 views)

Dog waking every 2 hours. Our dog gets congested, breathes through his mouth, his mouth dries out and he wants... (26471 views)

Not sure if first shots done. I just bought a 7 week old pomeranian from a local family. They told me he has had... (35806 views)

Hair loss in patches. Hi we live in a remote community up near Darwin in Australia. Four weeks ago we took... (8980 views)

Limping kitten. I got a kitten on Monday. They said she is about 5 or 6 weeks old. For the first... (10784 views)

Kitten won't eat. my kitten won't eat but will drink water and he is sluggish and has had weight loss... (19270 views)