Older cat coughing.

Breed: cat
My cat is heaving like she has a hairball, but nothing is coming up. She is still eating and drinking. Should i be concerned? What could be causing this? What can I do to help her?

The most common reason for cats to cough like this is if they have asthma. Asthma can be similar to allergies and can be brought on by exposure to some type of allergen (pollen, smoke in the house, dust, etc.)

If a cat with asthma is coughing several times per day then there are medications that your vet can prescribe to help her.

There are other possibilities though. Coughing can be a sign of heartworm. Heartworm is not as common in cats as in dogs, but in certain parts of the world (i.e. Southern US) it is more popular.

Cancer can make animals cough, but it is not common for cats with chest cancer to actually cough until they are very sick. If this were the cause you really should be seeing other symptoms.

At this point, if Chloe is still eating and drinking then it's probably ok to wait and see how things go. If the coughing gets to the point where it is happening several times a day and seems bothersome to Chloe, or if her appetite starts to decline, or if you are seeing weight loss then I would definitely have her checked out.

Dog pooping blood. My dog is pooping blood, but not pooping. Just blood coming out like she is... (13928 views)

Cyst or cancer? About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I... (5098 views)

Spots on belly of Golden Retriever. my dog recently had dirty brown spots on her stomach when i touch them or wash them... (14382 views)

Rest for cruciate tears. Is there any unequivical, clinical evidence of a positive effect of... (10712 views)

Not using litter box. All of a sudden my cat, has decided to use her litterbox to urinate only. She will... (8895 views)

Bleach got on dog's skin. Our child picked up some 2% bleach cleaning solution and sprayed it into our dog... (16319 views)

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (7419 views)

Poop is sometimes solid, sometimes soft. Hi Dr Marie, I'm not sure if this is even an issue. Max poops first thing in... (99673 views)

Cat vomited 5 times. I came home this morning and i found about 5 vomit spots in my living room. when i... (39791 views)

Dog has wound under arm. I was wondering how I would go about dressing an area on my dog under her arm? It... (8978 views)