Older cat coughing.

Breed: cat
My cat is heaving like she has a hairball, but nothing is coming up. She is still eating and drinking. Should i be concerned? What could be causing this? What can I do to help her?

The most common reason for cats to cough like this is if they have asthma. Asthma can be similar to allergies and can be brought on by exposure to some type of allergen (pollen, smoke in the house, dust, etc.)

If a cat with asthma is coughing several times per day then there are medications that your vet can prescribe to help her.

There are other possibilities though. Coughing can be a sign of heartworm. Heartworm is not as common in cats as in dogs, but in certain parts of the world (i.e. Southern US) it is more popular.

Cancer can make animals cough, but it is not common for cats with chest cancer to actually cough until they are very sick. If this were the cause you really should be seeing other symptoms.

At this point, if Chloe is still eating and drinking then it's probably ok to wait and see how things go. If the coughing gets to the point where it is happening several times a day and seems bothersome to Chloe, or if her appetite starts to decline, or if you are seeing weight loss then I would definitely have her checked out.

Mass on dog's cheek. My dog recently had a cotton ball size mass on her "cheek". Someone told me it was... (8248 views)

Dog can't bark. I just recent spayed my dog this summer and i recently noticed that her bark sounds... (19277 views)

Yorkie with diarrhea. Hello, I have a yorkshire terrier that 1 year old and weighs 5.5 pounds. He is a... (8717 views)

Cat losing fur on belly. Over the past month my eldest cat has lost a lot of her fur on her belly and back... (55954 views)

Euthanize aggressive dog? I adopted my dog Nubby a year ago from a local shelter. A few months after I adopted... (22583 views)

Guinea Pig in Heat? Dear Dr. Marie, I have a guinea pig named Charlie, and my friend also has a... (23344 views)

Large lymph nodes. I spoke with you on sunday night about my shih tzu., I brought him to the vet on... (18865 views)

Dog was limping and death. My dog was favoring his left front leg and he is an outside dog with lots of energy,... (11546 views)

Boxer skin problems. -I apologize in advance for the novel i wrote below- We are officially at a loss.... (41354 views)

Surgery or rest for CCL tear. Dear Dr. Marie, My dog often limping recently and i've brought her to see a vet in... (7208 views)