Older cat coughing.

Breed: cat
My cat is heaving like she has a hairball, but nothing is coming up. She is still eating and drinking. Should i be concerned? What could be causing this? What can I do to help her?

The most common reason for cats to cough like this is if they have asthma. Asthma can be similar to allergies and can be brought on by exposure to some type of allergen (pollen, smoke in the house, dust, etc.)

If a cat with asthma is coughing several times per day then there are medications that your vet can prescribe to help her.

There are other possibilities though. Coughing can be a sign of heartworm. Heartworm is not as common in cats as in dogs, but in certain parts of the world (i.e. Southern US) it is more popular.

Cancer can make animals cough, but it is not common for cats with chest cancer to actually cough until they are very sick. If this were the cause you really should be seeing other symptoms.

At this point, if Chloe is still eating and drinking then it's probably ok to wait and see how things go. If the coughing gets to the point where it is happening several times a day and seems bothersome to Chloe, or if her appetite starts to decline, or if you are seeing weight loss then I would definitely have her checked out.

How to keep dogs from breeding. Hi there, I have a one year old female Beagle/Boxer mix and a Lab/pitt mix... (3402 views)

Sneezing dog. I have two yorkiepoo's that were around a dog that had distemper parvo ( he was not... (8792 views)

Why is my dog limping? hello we have just woke up this morning and found my american bulldog limping on his... (29926 views)

Brewer's Yeast for fleas. Is brewers yeast and garlic a safe treatment for deterring fleas and ticks,... (13740 views)

Why did my cat die? my 10-year-old cat died today, she had lost weight had yesterday something happened... (8201 views)

Staffordshire terriers and children. I have two female staffies who are extremely close, but who will nip and snarl at... (4974 views)

Can rabbits carry rabies? I am wondering what the chances of a baby wild rabbit having rabies is. The baby is... (8639 views)

Eucalyptus for fleas. I was washing my 8week old puppy and pored a large amount of Eucalyptus Oil on him..... (10583 views)

Low T4 and thyroid medicine. I have a 6yr old lab mix (approx 70 lbs) that was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (2980 views)

Gabapentin and Metacam My 19 year old cat, Lily, has chronic arthritis pain. We have tried Cosequin and it... (5861 views)