Older cat coughing.

Breed: cat
My cat is heaving like she has a hairball, but nothing is coming up. She is still eating and drinking. Should i be concerned? What could be causing this? What can I do to help her?

The most common reason for cats to cough like this is if they have asthma. Asthma can be similar to allergies and can be brought on by exposure to some type of allergen (pollen, smoke in the house, dust, etc.)

If a cat with asthma is coughing several times per day then there are medications that your vet can prescribe to help her.

There are other possibilities though. Coughing can be a sign of heartworm. Heartworm is not as common in cats as in dogs, but in certain parts of the world (i.e. Southern US) it is more popular.

Cancer can make animals cough, but it is not common for cats with chest cancer to actually cough until they are very sick. If this were the cause you really should be seeing other symptoms.

At this point, if Chloe is still eating and drinking then it's probably ok to wait and see how things go. If the coughing gets to the point where it is happening several times a day and seems bothersome to Chloe, or if her appetite starts to decline, or if you are seeing weight loss then I would definitely have her checked out.

Spots on belly of Golden Retriever. my dog recently had dirty brown spots on her stomach when i touch them or wash them... (10839 views)

Is my dog in pain? Hi dr, Marie, I'm the one that asked about the papaya leaf for... (2879 views)

Severely scratching ears. I've taken my dog to 3 vets so far for "allergy" symptoms. His episodes start with... (7823 views)

Mascara for dogs? I have noticed eyelashes on my 11 month old bichon frise and i would love to put... (14600 views)

Cat with pseudomonas infection. Sorry to bother you again. I wrote to you abt Shakey who has Pseudomas bacteria... (6663 views)

Pink lump on dog's paw. I just noticed my Daschund has a small lump on one of her paws. It is pinkish in... (38532 views)

Blood in stools. My dog has bright red blood in his stools. He is in good form, jumping around and... (8022 views)

Cat losing clumps of fur Our beloved 9 yo old male cat Gretzkey is ripping his hair out in clumps. Our house... (29506 views)

Swollen oozing paw. Hello my dog Jack is 10 1/2 years old and he has a very yucky looking paw. It is... (20987 views)

Golden retriever coughing. This weekend I was dog sitting for my dad's three dogs while he was out of town.... (6009 views)