Older cat coughing.

Breed: cat
My cat is heaving like she has a hairball, but nothing is coming up. She is still eating and drinking. Should i be concerned? What could be causing this? What can I do to help her?

The most common reason for cats to cough like this is if they have asthma. Asthma can be similar to allergies and can be brought on by exposure to some type of allergen (pollen, smoke in the house, dust, etc.)

If a cat with asthma is coughing several times per day then there are medications that your vet can prescribe to help her.

There are other possibilities though. Coughing can be a sign of heartworm. Heartworm is not as common in cats as in dogs, but in certain parts of the world (i.e. Southern US) it is more popular.

Cancer can make animals cough, but it is not common for cats with chest cancer to actually cough until they are very sick. If this were the cause you really should be seeing other symptoms.

At this point, if Chloe is still eating and drinking then it's probably ok to wait and see how things go. If the coughing gets to the point where it is happening several times a day and seems bothersome to Chloe, or if her appetite starts to decline, or if you are seeing weight loss then I would definitely have her checked out.

Wheezing cat. My cat is wheezing. Because he is 15 now I was not suprised. But then it grew worse.... (12055 views)

Dog Won't Eat My dog won't eat at all,but he still drink(not much)..He wanna move but he can't... (20271 views)

Flying with your dog. Hello! We have recently purchased a mini schnoodle. She will be 8 weeks old when... (6380 views)

When to separate pups? Hello, My pet has just given babies and i need to give those babies for... (5938 views)

Best ear cleaner? i would like to know which solution is better to use, oti-clens or... (4835 views)

Diethylene glycol in chicken jerky. Do you know of any of the Chicken Jerky do treats that are made in China, has been... (3972 views)

Very thirsty kitten. Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl... (8693 views)

Cracked Toe Nail. My dog cracked his nail horizontally at the base of the nail. Is there something I... (8723 views)

Sore tail. Yesterday I noticed my cat acting strange. She has been walking with her tail very... (5351 views)

Cat died after intestinal surgery. Hi, I tried to send email this morning but some how pay pal didn't take me to right... (5901 views)