Older cat coughing.

Breed: cat
My cat is heaving like she has a hairball, but nothing is coming up. She is still eating and drinking. Should i be concerned? What could be causing this? What can I do to help her?

The most common reason for cats to cough like this is if they have asthma. Asthma can be similar to allergies and can be brought on by exposure to some type of allergen (pollen, smoke in the house, dust, etc.)

If a cat with asthma is coughing several times per day then there are medications that your vet can prescribe to help her.

There are other possibilities though. Coughing can be a sign of heartworm. Heartworm is not as common in cats as in dogs, but in certain parts of the world (i.e. Southern US) it is more popular.

Cancer can make animals cough, but it is not common for cats with chest cancer to actually cough until they are very sick. If this were the cause you really should be seeing other symptoms.

At this point, if Chloe is still eating and drinking then it's probably ok to wait and see how things go. If the coughing gets to the point where it is happening several times a day and seems bothersome to Chloe, or if her appetite starts to decline, or if you are seeing weight loss then I would definitely have her checked out.

Pregnant cat is vomiting. My cat got out and didn't come home for about a month. When she got out she was in... (20763 views)

ibuprofen for arthritis? my dog seems to have problems sometimes when getting up from a short or long rest,... (10948 views)

Guinea pig biting. How I can gently dissuade my guinea pig from nibbling and nipping me? Recently my... (9996 views)

Ectopic ureter or pelvic bladder? My dog ziggy is almost a year old. I got him at 6 months. He has a urination... (41496 views)

Dog's stool a little loose. Dr Marie, Examining that bump around Max's nipples it appears to be less solid.... (5708 views)

Itchy bumps on back. I took my dog to get groomed about 6 weeks ago and I noticed that she got a few... (13295 views)

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (9300 views)

Why use jugular vein? Why would my vet take blood out of the neck (jugler (?) vein)? In most cases I've... (21037 views)

Vet lost the lump! My cat had surgery last Thursday to have a cyst on his toe removed to see if it was... (11412 views)

Tylosin responsive diarrhea. In another posting on this site you mention giving tylosin daily in "tiny amounts"... (8522 views)