8 month old kitten producing milk.

Breed: Himalayan
Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat (Lola) since I brought the kitten home at 6 weeks of age. I believe the older cat is now producing milk. Is this possible? And how do I make the kitten stop doing this? Lola does not seem to mind Macy trying to nurse from her, but I think it is gross. Macy eats both dry and canned cat food and has been a good cat food eater since I brought her home at 6 weeks. Thank you!

I don't believe that it is possible for a cat to start lactating because a kitten is nursing off of her. If Lola has not been spayed, is there any possibility that she is pregnant? Pregnant cats will start producing milk near the end of their pregnancy.

With that being said, there still is a small chance that the kitten could indeed be lactating. I have found case reports of male cats that were able to produce milk after they had been exposed to human estrogen products such as estrogen cream.

If Macy was recently spayed, it's possible she has a condition called mammary hyperplasia where the mammary glands get enlarged within a couple of months of being spayed. Sometimes this can be a sign of an ovarian remnant so that is something worth asking your vet about.

To stop this habit there are a couple of things you could try. Probably the most practical would be to find a way to keep the nipples covered. The pet store likely sells t-shirts for cats or small dogs that she could wear. Or, you could try finding doll's clothing. Lola probably won't like it but should get used to it. It can take a week or more for the lactating to start and you might even have to have her wear it for several weeks for Macy to break the bad habit.

Alternatively, you could put something that tastes bad near the nipples such as bitter apple spray. But, this is not really fair for Lola as she would get the bad taste when she grooms herself.

One final way to stop this would be to find a way to separate the two cats for several weeks. This may seem cruel, but it probably would work.

Lip fold pyoderma. I have suddenly noticed that Blue has an area of bright red, raw skin on both sides... (10340 views)

Chihuahua ate tennis ball. My small, 5lb baby girl chihauha (sp?) was outside playing with our two other dogs. ... (18390 views)

Bump on dog's neck. Hello, I found a small, pink, raised bump on my dog's neck this morning. It is... (100796 views)

Chihuahua fell from couch. Hello. I have a sweet, loving, happy, and spoiled female chihuahua, weighing about... (8838 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma? This past week Murphy (4 year old Irish Setter) developed what I thought was a small... (225102 views)

Cat with green patch on skin. first i would like to thank you for your time. When my cat was a kitten i thought... (13584 views)

Doxycycline and amoxicillin. My dog is believed to have Lyme disease, her test was negative but our vet thought... (17212 views)

Dog shaking and limping. Dear Dr: Since yesterday I see that my dog tires to go to the bathrooms and hide.... (9814 views)

Not using litter box. All of a sudden my cat, has decided to use her litterbox to urinate only. She will... (8377 views)

Sneezing cat. We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2... (11829 views)