8 month old kitten producing milk.

Breed: Himalayan
Hi. My 5 month old kitten (Macy) has been trying to nurse from my 8 month old cat (Lola) since I brought the kitten home at 6 weeks of age. I believe the older cat is now producing milk. Is this possible? And how do I make the kitten stop doing this? Lola does not seem to mind Macy trying to nurse from her, but I think it is gross. Macy eats both dry and canned cat food and has been a good cat food eater since I brought her home at 6 weeks. Thank you!

I don't believe that it is possible for a cat to start lactating because a kitten is nursing off of her. If Lola has not been spayed, is there any possibility that she is pregnant? Pregnant cats will start producing milk near the end of their pregnancy.

With that being said, there still is a small chance that the kitten could indeed be lactating. I have found case reports of male cats that were able to produce milk after they had been exposed to human estrogen products such as estrogen cream.

If Macy was recently spayed, it's possible she has a condition called mammary hyperplasia where the mammary glands get enlarged within a couple of months of being spayed. Sometimes this can be a sign of an ovarian remnant so that is something worth asking your vet about.

To stop this habit there are a couple of things you could try. Probably the most practical would be to find a way to keep the nipples covered. The pet store likely sells t-shirts for cats or small dogs that she could wear. Or, you could try finding doll's clothing. Lola probably won't like it but should get used to it. It can take a week or more for the lactating to start and you might even have to have her wear it for several weeks for Macy to break the bad habit.

Alternatively, you could put something that tastes bad near the nipples such as bitter apple spray. But, this is not really fair for Lola as she would get the bad taste when she grooms herself.

One final way to stop this would be to find a way to separate the two cats for several weeks. This may seem cruel, but it probably would work.

Dog died suddenly. My dog, Ace, passed away on Thursday, July 5th. We live in the midwest and had been... (13175 views)

How to get cat to lose weight. I have an overweight cat - we have gotten him down by three pounds but needs to lose... (8991 views)

Trouble swallowing. My 6-year-old shepherd developed a major mucus production problem in the last month.... (15217 views)

Vomiting undigested food. My cat primarily eats dry food. She frequently vomits undigested food.What can I do... (13685 views)

Children's shampoo for dog? okay so my sister used a kids brand of shampoo for my new puppy who is 6 weeks old... (14731 views)

Itchy between anus and penis. My dog is licking/scratching a lot in the area between his anus and his penis. It's... (33817 views)

Wobbly lab. Hello - About 4 weeks ago, Koda started acting very stiff around his neck so we... (15932 views)

Pitbull with breathing problems. My daughter rescued a pit bull a few years ago. He has been an amazing dog. However,... (14474 views)

Sick pregnant cat. hi, i think my cat is pregnant, shes suddenly put on alot of weight and has spotted... (9757 views)

Small pink lump on back. My dog has had a small light pink lump on his back for a little while now. I have... (12522 views)