Incontinent kitten.

Breed: Maincoon
Hi there!
I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at Petsmart said it is a maincoon and we gave her replacement milk and wet food until she was old enough to eat dry and wet food and drink water. I had her litter trained in about three weeks. She is now about two months old and out of nowhere she doesn't seem to realize when she has to go, and just runs through the house dropping little marble sized pieces as she runs. I have tried changing her food and making sure she has plenty of water. Other than this, she is a normal kittne, running and playing. Could it be a problem with nerves around her tail, such as a damaged tail? Or is it something she may grow out of?
Thanks so much.

Abigail

Sorry to hear that your kitten is having these problems.

It is not normal for a young cat to just drop formed stool like this. I am concerned that there may be an issue with her nerves. Your vet will be able to determine if there is a neurological problem. They might also want to take an xray to see if there is evidence of a back problem or if there is megacolon which is a buildup of poop in the colon.

Most likely if this was my case I would be treating with a Dewormer just to be sure, but parasites do not usually cause fecal incontinence.

If it is a nerve issue some cats do grow out of this but unfortunately some do not. Sometimes a surgery can be done to help tighten up the anal sphincter as well.

Your vet may also prescribe a low residue cat food which will help decrease the amount of feces she is producing.

Can my cat live with pocket pets? Hi I have a pet rat, a guinea pig, a hamster and a cat! The cat is 19 years old, and... (9480 views)

Dog ate vitamin D Dog just ate two 5,000 iu Vitamin D capsules. Anything I need to worry about/watch... (92621 views)

Dog ate a needle. My dog had not been eating his usual amount and I was watching him, he then began to... (11664 views)

Pumpkin for anal glands. My dog has anal gland troubles, the vet mentioned fiber treats, I was wondering for... (34244 views)

Bladder cancer. Our almost 10 year old kitty has had three recurrent bouts of uti or cystitis in the... (6242 views)

Vomiting due to virus? Hello Dr.Marie. Okay so my 14 year old cat smokey has been going threw some... (17222 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog has been losing her appetite for about 2 months. She would no longer eat her... (13017 views)

Dog can't jump. My dog has a hard time standing up from the sitting position. Occasionally, he will... (11898 views)

How often to bathe a dog? I have a black lab that just turned 4. She has relatively short hair, how often... (8345 views)

Submissive urination. Hey Dr.Marie my dog Mya is 1 year and a half but everytime someone picks her up she... (10140 views)