Incontinent kitten.

Breed: Maincoon
Hi there!
I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at Petsmart said it is a maincoon and we gave her replacement milk and wet food until she was old enough to eat dry and wet food and drink water. I had her litter trained in about three weeks. She is now about two months old and out of nowhere she doesn't seem to realize when she has to go, and just runs through the house dropping little marble sized pieces as she runs. I have tried changing her food and making sure she has plenty of water. Other than this, she is a normal kittne, running and playing. Could it be a problem with nerves around her tail, such as a damaged tail? Or is it something she may grow out of?
Thanks so much.

Abigail

Sorry to hear that your kitten is having these problems.

It is not normal for a young cat to just drop formed stool like this. I am concerned that there may be an issue with her nerves. Your vet will be able to determine if there is a neurological problem. They might also want to take an xray to see if there is evidence of a back problem or if there is megacolon which is a buildup of poop in the colon.

Most likely if this was my case I would be treating with a Dewormer just to be sure, but parasites do not usually cause fecal incontinence.

If it is a nerve issue some cats do grow out of this but unfortunately some do not. Sometimes a surgery can be done to help tighten up the anal sphincter as well.

Your vet may also prescribe a low residue cat food which will help decrease the amount of feces she is producing.

Cat is killing lizards. My cat keeps killing lizards that come inside the house. I have tryed spraying water... (14153 views)

13 year old cat losing weight. I have a 13 yr old male cat that has gradually started to lose weight. He has had... (9254 views)

Still has roundworms. My 2-year-old cat, Oliver, has been having a problem with roundworms. He was born... (13937 views)

Cat not getting over URTI. Hi, My cat has suffered from flu from approx 8 mths old but these days never seems... (6724 views)

Kitten nursing on my neck. why does my 8 to 10 month old kitty keep trying to suckle at my neck. He will not... (14528 views)

Cat losing fur. Hi Why is my cats fur on his back all falling off in large clumps, other than that... (22415 views)

Dog eats grass and vomits Hi Marie! My Germen Spitz(male) eats some grass while he is out and vomits.Avoids... (9362 views)

Older cat with vomiting and white nose. My cat is a 13y.o., outdoor (day) / indoor (night), mouser/birder, and has been a... (16541 views)

Dog is walking funny, I have a 14 year old dog. About a year ago he lost most of his hearing. About 2... (45446 views)

Red spot on dog's neck. I just noticed a red spot on my pug. I will try to attach a picture. It's on his... (16705 views)