Incontinent kitten.

Breed: Maincoon
Hi there!
I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at Petsmart said it is a maincoon and we gave her replacement milk and wet food until she was old enough to eat dry and wet food and drink water. I had her litter trained in about three weeks. She is now about two months old and out of nowhere she doesn't seem to realize when she has to go, and just runs through the house dropping little marble sized pieces as she runs. I have tried changing her food and making sure she has plenty of water. Other than this, she is a normal kittne, running and playing. Could it be a problem with nerves around her tail, such as a damaged tail? Or is it something she may grow out of?
Thanks so much.

Abigail

Sorry to hear that your kitten is having these problems.

It is not normal for a young cat to just drop formed stool like this. I am concerned that there may be an issue with her nerves. Your vet will be able to determine if there is a neurological problem. They might also want to take an xray to see if there is evidence of a back problem or if there is megacolon which is a buildup of poop in the colon.

Most likely if this was my case I would be treating with a Dewormer just to be sure, but parasites do not usually cause fecal incontinence.

If it is a nerve issue some cats do grow out of this but unfortunately some do not. Sometimes a surgery can be done to help tighten up the anal sphincter as well.

Your vet may also prescribe a low residue cat food which will help decrease the amount of feces she is producing.

Senior food for 7 year old dog? I have 2 black pugs. One (Mr. P) is 11 years old, and the other (Samson) is 7 years... (4817 views)

Lump on dog's side. Bundy has developed a circular mark...1/2 inch in diameter...the fur has gone the... (22945 views)

Cat with asthma. My Abby was diagnosed with a respiratory problem similar to asthma and was... (8347 views)

Dog has horrible breath. How can i stop my dogs horriable breath. like home things that i could do like... (10413 views)

Bump in dog's mouth. My dog was taken for a walk her ball went under a car, she retreived her ball... (7638 views)

Lumps on dog's nose. Do you know what these bumps count be? He also has a bald spot under his eye. He is... (62584 views)

Eye medicine for my cat. We adopted A domestic short haired cat from our local animal shelter. He had an eye... (8815 views)

Cat died. Hit by car? My cat was found a few days ago under my neighbours car. He had been bleeding from... (25889 views)

Yorkie with Possible Pyometra. have a 7 year old female Yorkie that has been limp and despondent for 3 days. She... (13447 views)

Milk coming out of squirrel's nose. I have an orphaned squirrel that doesn't have his eyes open yet. He has aspirated... (10777 views)