Incontinent kitten.

Breed: Maincoon
Hi there!
I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at Petsmart said it is a maincoon and we gave her replacement milk and wet food until she was old enough to eat dry and wet food and drink water. I had her litter trained in about three weeks. She is now about two months old and out of nowhere she doesn't seem to realize when she has to go, and just runs through the house dropping little marble sized pieces as she runs. I have tried changing her food and making sure she has plenty of water. Other than this, she is a normal kittne, running and playing. Could it be a problem with nerves around her tail, such as a damaged tail? Or is it something she may grow out of?
Thanks so much.

Abigail

Sorry to hear that your kitten is having these problems.

It is not normal for a young cat to just drop formed stool like this. I am concerned that there may be an issue with her nerves. Your vet will be able to determine if there is a neurological problem. They might also want to take an xray to see if there is evidence of a back problem or if there is megacolon which is a buildup of poop in the colon.

Most likely if this was my case I would be treating with a Dewormer just to be sure, but parasites do not usually cause fecal incontinence.

If it is a nerve issue some cats do grow out of this but unfortunately some do not. Sometimes a surgery can be done to help tighten up the anal sphincter as well.

Your vet may also prescribe a low residue cat food which will help decrease the amount of feces she is producing.

Peeing outside of box. My cat is spayed female,indoor/outdoor as she wishes. She will defecate in litter... (6723 views)

Dog shaking and limping. Dear Dr: Since yesterday I see that my dog tires to go to the bathrooms and hide.... (10517 views)

Why is cat urinating in the house? Hi Dr. Marie, Recently, my one cat Habibi has started urinating outside of the... (5212 views)

Guinea pig scabs around mouth. My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took... (8704 views)

Can a neutered dog breed? Hi, I have a 2 year old chihuahua weighs 4 pounds named Frenchy Fry. I nuetered him... (25738 views)

Dog licking paws On Wednesday I noticed Max was licking his right rear paw. Last Saturday he had a... (65367 views)

Chihuahua with hair loss. Hey Dr.Marie. I'm writing to you about my puppy chihuahua. Sooty. She has just... (8913 views)

Questions about anesthesia Hi my name is Jazmin. I'm currently in college now in vet tech school. i have a... (6586 views)

Dog ate moldy corn. My 4 month old, 20 lb. standard poodle may have eaten very moldy creamed corn from a... (45489 views)

Non healing abscess I'm sorry I had to choose the free option, but I'm skint because of the ongoing vet... (7146 views)