Howling at night time.

Breed: Feline
My cat is has been meowing quite a bit and she is a little on lethargic side. In the middle of night she has fits where she she lets out very loud blood curdling meows but when you come out and pat her she stops. Not sure if it like a toothache or something else that might be bothering her. We did lose another cat about 5 months ago they were together last 10 years or so. Every time she sees us she lets out meows and when we arent in room they are worse. what are the most common reasons for a cat meowing so much? She is dry food which is something new (couple months) but other than that no new diet changes or eating habits.

Hi Allen...and thanks for your question.

Unfortunately when older cats start to meow loudly at night time it can often be a hard problem to fix. However, there are a few possible things that you can have your vet check for you.

Some cats will howl at nighttime because of high blood pressure which we believe can cause headaches. Some cats will have high blood pressure because of hyperthyroidism and some will have just high blood pressure on its own. If your vet does find that there is hyperthyroidism (by doing a blood test) it is usually treated quite easily with medication. Similarly if the problem is high blood pressure that can be treated with a medication as well.

However, some cats will do this because of something we call cognitive dysfunction which is similar to senility. I have had some animals respond to either a medication called anipryl or another one called amitriptylline.

It would be great to have your vet take a look at Highway and do some general bloodwork and a blood pressure check.

I hope he is oK!

Dog ate soap. My dog just ate a whole bar of soap? Do I need to be worried? It was Dove soap. ... (164904 views)

Wound on dog's ear. Hello, my puppy has a tiny hole underneath his ear flap. It's red and I worry its... (14584 views)

Swollen lip My cat gets frequent and sudden swelling on her face (her bottom lip usually but... (13481 views)

Can I give hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting? I gave my puppy a tablespoon and a half of hydrogen peroxide to help him throw up... (25080 views)

Crying after using litter box. After my cat eats, drinks, gets up or uses the cat box she cries this very strange... (26061 views)

Elevated kidney enzymes. I brought my dog, Trixie (10 year old Shih Tzu) in this morning for her yearly... (18070 views)

Flaky skin. Samson has flakey skin that is most obvious on his back toward the tail and under... (16951 views)

Milk coming out of squirrel's nose. I have an orphaned squirrel that doesn't have his eyes open yet. He has aspirated... (10783 views)

Increase dog's phenobarb? Hi Marie, My 10 yr old Jack Russell Terrier has been a seizure dog for about 4... (17330 views)

Constipated or urinary issue? Hello Dr Marie. I am contacting you about our cat Linus again. It is 4 am here.... (10998 views)