Howling at night time.

Breed: Feline
My cat is has been meowing quite a bit and she is a little on lethargic side. In the middle of night she has fits where she she lets out very loud blood curdling meows but when you come out and pat her she stops. Not sure if it like a toothache or something else that might be bothering her. We did lose another cat about 5 months ago they were together last 10 years or so. Every time she sees us she lets out meows and when we arent in room they are worse. what are the most common reasons for a cat meowing so much? She is dry food which is something new (couple months) but other than that no new diet changes or eating habits.

Hi Allen...and thanks for your question.

Unfortunately when older cats start to meow loudly at night time it can often be a hard problem to fix. However, there are a few possible things that you can have your vet check for you.

Some cats will howl at nighttime because of high blood pressure which we believe can cause headaches. Some cats will have high blood pressure because of hyperthyroidism and some will have just high blood pressure on its own. If your vet does find that there is hyperthyroidism (by doing a blood test) it is usually treated quite easily with medication. Similarly if the problem is high blood pressure that can be treated with a medication as well.

However, some cats will do this because of something we call cognitive dysfunction which is similar to senility. I have had some animals respond to either a medication called anipryl or another one called amitriptylline.

It would be great to have your vet take a look at Highway and do some general bloodwork and a blood pressure check.

I hope he is oK!

dog with bumps on head My dog has 2-3 little lumps on her head, She is smooothe coated, You can feel them... (25723 views)

Sheltie leaking urine. We have noticed that my spayed 5 1/2 year female Sheltie has been leaking a little... (13221 views)

dog with strabismus Dr. , My Boxer Cooper has what I think is called strabismus or lazy eye. He has... (12584 views)

Drooling and not eating. My female cat, Patches, has been with me since I was young. She has never been to a... (12771 views)

My dog ate goose poop. Dr, Max was walking in the park today and picked up what I believe was an old... (97636 views)

Is ketoconazole safe? Hi. My 6 y/o Papillon has suffered fron skin problems his whole life. I've been told... (4318 views)

Do cats get chicken pox? it is not of a cat of mine a cat i saw he had spots that looked alot like chickenpox... (26274 views)

Lump on puppy's neck. Hello Dr. Marie I hope you could choose my question because i'm so worried about my... (14670 views)

Cerebellar hypoplasia? Hello Dr Marie, I recently found an abandoned feral kitten in the street who was... (8303 views)

Persistent hymen in dog. Mam, i own a female german sheperd. the problem is i cant breed her due to the grown... (13118 views)