Howling at night time.

Breed: Feline
My cat is has been meowing quite a bit and she is a little on lethargic side. In the middle of night she has fits where she she lets out very loud blood curdling meows but when you come out and pat her she stops. Not sure if it like a toothache or something else that might be bothering her. We did lose another cat about 5 months ago they were together last 10 years or so. Every time she sees us she lets out meows and when we arent in room they are worse. what are the most common reasons for a cat meowing so much? She is dry food which is something new (couple months) but other than that no new diet changes or eating habits.

Hi Allen...and thanks for your question.

Unfortunately when older cats start to meow loudly at night time it can often be a hard problem to fix. However, there are a few possible things that you can have your vet check for you.

Some cats will howl at nighttime because of high blood pressure which we believe can cause headaches. Some cats will have high blood pressure because of hyperthyroidism and some will have just high blood pressure on its own. If your vet does find that there is hyperthyroidism (by doing a blood test) it is usually treated quite easily with medication. Similarly if the problem is high blood pressure that can be treated with a medication as well.

However, some cats will do this because of something we call cognitive dysfunction which is similar to senility. I have had some animals respond to either a medication called anipryl or another one called amitriptylline.

It would be great to have your vet take a look at Highway and do some general bloodwork and a blood pressure check.

I hope he is oK!

Kitten was hit by a car. Hello. I would really appreciate if you could help with this situation. My kitten... (12239 views)

Is my hamster dead? My hamster isn't moving like he used too. His eyes are always opened and he isn't... (18280 views)

Limping kitten. I got a kitten on Monday. They said she is about 5 or 6 weeks old. For the first... (15180 views)

Blood from bum. Her butt was bleeding bad (out of the hole), the blood was thick and bright red. I... (22317 views)

Trouble breathing and died. my beloved cat mr whippy died recently and i am breaking my heart thinking i could... (11911 views)

Unneutered dog bit child. Hello Dr. Marie, Our 9 year old Border Collie has no history of aggression or... (11844 views)

Diarrhea in chihuahua. Hello. I need some help in trying to diagnose my 4 month old chihuahua puppy. Let me... (10710 views)

Puppy sleeps all the time. Hi, We just got our puppy Marley on Sunday, 16. He is eating and drinking, and is 7... (12297 views)

Why can't I get rid of fleas? How do I permanently get rid of fleas? I have tried flea shampoos, and De Flea... (12694 views)

Toxoplasmosis questions. 1) My cat is an outdoor cat. I know he is at risk for getting the parasite that... (14996 views)