Howling at night time.

Breed: Feline
My cat is has been meowing quite a bit and she is a little on lethargic side. In the middle of night she has fits where she she lets out very loud blood curdling meows but when you come out and pat her she stops. Not sure if it like a toothache or something else that might be bothering her. We did lose another cat about 5 months ago they were together last 10 years or so. Every time she sees us she lets out meows and when we arent in room they are worse. what are the most common reasons for a cat meowing so much? She is dry food which is something new (couple months) but other than that no new diet changes or eating habits.

Hi Allen...and thanks for your question.

Unfortunately when older cats start to meow loudly at night time it can often be a hard problem to fix. However, there are a few possible things that you can have your vet check for you.

Some cats will howl at nighttime because of high blood pressure which we believe can cause headaches. Some cats will have high blood pressure because of hyperthyroidism and some will have just high blood pressure on its own. If your vet does find that there is hyperthyroidism (by doing a blood test) it is usually treated quite easily with medication. Similarly if the problem is high blood pressure that can be treated with a medication as well.

However, some cats will do this because of something we call cognitive dysfunction which is similar to senility. I have had some animals respond to either a medication called anipryl or another one called amitriptylline.

It would be great to have your vet take a look at Highway and do some general bloodwork and a blood pressure check.

I hope he is oK!

Black dots in dog's ear. We recently realised there are black sesame seed like black dots in one of my dog's... (10373 views)

Take temperature orally? My dog is recovering from pretty serious surgery. I am supposed to be taking his... (29968 views)

Lump on cat's abdomen. My cat has a round, hard spot in her stomach. It has a red dot in the center It... (13380 views)

Dog only has one testicle. my dog has only one penis can it mate... (12174 views)

Food to dissolve bladder stones. We have a 12-13 year old dog who has been diagnosed with 5 large stones in her... (16724 views)

Kitten won't get out of litter box. PLEASE HELP...MY RAGDOLL KITTEN 9 WKS OLD WONT GET OUT OF THE LITTERBOX HARDLY AT... (9533 views)

Frontline Plus and Advantage Multi? Can I give my dog Advantage Multi plus the Frontline Plus. I know the Advantage... (16284 views)

Health problems. WE DO NEED A QUICK ANSWER, BUT IN CASE DOG WILL HANG ON, HERE GOES: 10 YRS OLD... (7722 views)

Cat has swollen foot. I took my cat to the vet bc he was limping and they said he may have cut his foot... (4912 views)

Thinking of getting a malamute. hi, i currently have a malchi. he is part maltese part chihuahua. i have been... (9241 views)