Howling at night time.

Breed: Feline
My cat is has been meowing quite a bit and she is a little on lethargic side. In the middle of night she has fits where she she lets out very loud blood curdling meows but when you come out and pat her she stops. Not sure if it like a toothache or something else that might be bothering her. We did lose another cat about 5 months ago they were together last 10 years or so. Every time she sees us she lets out meows and when we arent in room they are worse. what are the most common reasons for a cat meowing so much? She is dry food which is something new (couple months) but other than that no new diet changes or eating habits.

Hi Allen...and thanks for your question.

Unfortunately when older cats start to meow loudly at night time it can often be a hard problem to fix. However, there are a few possible things that you can have your vet check for you.

Some cats will howl at nighttime because of high blood pressure which we believe can cause headaches. Some cats will have high blood pressure because of hyperthyroidism and some will have just high blood pressure on its own. If your vet does find that there is hyperthyroidism (by doing a blood test) it is usually treated quite easily with medication. Similarly if the problem is high blood pressure that can be treated with a medication as well.

However, some cats will do this because of something we call cognitive dysfunction which is similar to senility. I have had some animals respond to either a medication called anipryl or another one called amitriptylline.

It would be great to have your vet take a look at Highway and do some general bloodwork and a blood pressure check.

I hope he is oK!

Relation of weight to skin problems. I understand that you are a very busy person but i am currently inrolled in the... (6762 views)

Dog is leaking urine. We have a 4yr old female boxer/german shepherd mix who seems to be "leaking" a lot... (9919 views)

Senior food for 7 year old dog? I have 2 black pugs. One (Mr. P) is 11 years old, and the other (Samson) is 7 years... (4700 views)

Dog with back problems. I know it's log winded, but I wanted to include all the information... (19056 views)

Heart medication questions. My dog’s name is Yoda. He is 16 years old. But for his heart, he is in good... (4915 views)

Dog has itchy bum. Bella is 3 years old. She's been having some anal itching the past few days but... (115119 views)

Anal sac problems. When I cane home form work I noticed that my dog was bleeding from her anus. I took... (66794 views)

ECG for heart murmur? Hi, We have an 8 year old european shorthair cat who was recently diagnosed as... (9399 views)

Light sensitivity in older cat. Jack, 12 years old, was diagnosed with CKD 6months ago and is having Hills... (10127 views)

Swollen neck on a cat. my 4 month old male cat, desexed vaccinated and everything one more shot to go tho.... (5895 views)