Vaginal discharge

Breed: chihuahua
Cheechee has a tan, snot looking sticky discharge coming from her urethra. Is this a UTI?

I have a few questions for you before typing in a complete answer:

• Is Cheechee spayed?

• Is she acting normally or is she more tired than usual?

• Is she having any problems trying to urinate?

No, she also has a lump in her breast. She has an enlarged heart and did have fluid on her lungs. I am giving her Enalapril and Furosemide to get her in shape for the surgery next month. Shes not eating as much and she is a little lethargic. The Lasix does make her urinate, so she has no problem urinating.

Oh dear...it sounds like poor Cheechee is going through a lot.

The most common reason for a tan sticky discharge from an unspayed female is an infection in the uterus called a pyometra. Unfortunately this is a really serious problem. It almost always needs to be treated by surgery to remove the uterus.

Some dogs with pyometra will have a mild discharge and not be terribly sick. However, with some dogs, they can have very serious infection and the infection can produce toxins that can cause extreme illness, and possibly even death. Pyometra is a condition that needs an emergency vet visit to determine if she needs an emergency surgery today.

There are other things that can cause a discharge from this area, but they are much less common. One thing is a vaginal infection. This is nowhere near as serious as a uterine infection and can usually be treated with antibiotics. Another would be a tumor in the reproductive tract. However, this doesn't usually produce much discharge.

I'm sorry for the bad news, but it sounds like your little one should be seen by a vet today. I really hope everything is ok.

Vasculitis and skin infection. Hey Dr. Marie, We've got a doberman with a hard-to-diagnose skin issue. Usually... (17772 views)

Repeated diarrhea and vomiting. Dr. Marie: Thank you for your input and warning -- this will be a bit lengthy. I... (10896 views)

Cat losing fur. Hi Why is my cats fur on his back all falling off in large clumps, other than that... (22951 views)

Runny eyes in a persian. Hi there I just recently got Chewey who is a extreme flat face persian and his eyes... (18747 views)

Cat's stomach making noises My cat's stomach has been making noises today including gurgling and rumbling. This... (193675 views)

Diethylene glycol in chicken jerky. Do you know of any of the Chicken Jerky do treats that are made in China, has been... (5228 views)

Cat is always hungry and stealing food. hi there my female cat tinkerbelle is about two years old and had kittens about 4... (14088 views)

Dog only has one testicle. my dog has only one penis can it mate... (12717 views)

Coughing blood and mucus. Marvin has been periodically coughing up mucus with blood in it. He has a tumor of... (31329 views)

Possible pyometra. My dog I believe is in heat but this month instead of a thin red color the discharge... (7902 views)