Vaginal discharge

Breed: chihuahua
Cheechee has a tan, snot looking sticky discharge coming from her urethra. Is this a UTI?

I have a few questions for you before typing in a complete answer:

• Is Cheechee spayed?

• Is she acting normally or is she more tired than usual?

• Is she having any problems trying to urinate?

No, she also has a lump in her breast. She has an enlarged heart and did have fluid on her lungs. I am giving her Enalapril and Furosemide to get her in shape for the surgery next month. Shes not eating as much and she is a little lethargic. The Lasix does make her urinate, so she has no problem urinating.

Oh dear...it sounds like poor Cheechee is going through a lot.

The most common reason for a tan sticky discharge from an unspayed female is an infection in the uterus called a pyometra. Unfortunately this is a really serious problem. It almost always needs to be treated by surgery to remove the uterus.

Some dogs with pyometra will have a mild discharge and not be terribly sick. However, with some dogs, they can have very serious infection and the infection can produce toxins that can cause extreme illness, and possibly even death. Pyometra is a condition that needs an emergency vet visit to determine if she needs an emergency surgery today.

There are other things that can cause a discharge from this area, but they are much less common. One thing is a vaginal infection. This is nowhere near as serious as a uterine infection and can usually be treated with antibiotics. Another would be a tumor in the reproductive tract. However, this doesn't usually produce much discharge.

I'm sorry for the bad news, but it sounds like your little one should be seen by a vet today. I really hope everything is ok.

Dog is walking funny, I have a 14 year old dog. About a year ago he lost most of his hearing. About 2... (46816 views)

Cat has flaky skin. My Maine Coon, Nino has had flaky skin for quite awhile. I had him at the vet a few... (10179 views)

Azithromycin and cat death. I run my own rescue group. I do all the cleaning, transporting, adopting, and I... (11593 views)

Bump on dog's ear. Hi Dr. Marie My dog Syrous is 22 months old and is a Dogue de Bordeaux. 2... (64723 views)

Epogen for cat with anemia. Hi Dr. Marie, I need a second opinion. My 19 year old male cat was recently... (12953 views)

Limping cat with heart problems. Hudson is a 10 year old indoor house cat. He originally came from a garbage dump in... (15509 views)

Salt lick for dogs? My dog is constantly licking things (windows, sprinkler heads, feet, floors, ect)... (51163 views)

Peeing in house and throwing up. My dog has not woke us up to be let ouside since he has been house trained. A... (48047 views)

Pattern baldness in dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have noticed that over the last few months my dog seems to be... (10900 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and worried about my two cats. I know how to avoid... (5357 views)