Vaginal discharge

Breed: chihuahua
Cheechee has a tan, snot looking sticky discharge coming from her urethra. Is this a UTI?

I have a few questions for you before typing in a complete answer:

• Is Cheechee spayed?

• Is she acting normally or is she more tired than usual?

• Is she having any problems trying to urinate?

No, she also has a lump in her breast. She has an enlarged heart and did have fluid on her lungs. I am giving her Enalapril and Furosemide to get her in shape for the surgery next month. Shes not eating as much and she is a little lethargic. The Lasix does make her urinate, so she has no problem urinating.

Oh dear...it sounds like poor Cheechee is going through a lot.

The most common reason for a tan sticky discharge from an unspayed female is an infection in the uterus called a pyometra. Unfortunately this is a really serious problem. It almost always needs to be treated by surgery to remove the uterus.

Some dogs with pyometra will have a mild discharge and not be terribly sick. However, with some dogs, they can have very serious infection and the infection can produce toxins that can cause extreme illness, and possibly even death. Pyometra is a condition that needs an emergency vet visit to determine if she needs an emergency surgery today.

There are other things that can cause a discharge from this area, but they are much less common. One thing is a vaginal infection. This is nowhere near as serious as a uterine infection and can usually be treated with antibiotics. Another would be a tumor in the reproductive tract. However, this doesn't usually produce much discharge.

I'm sorry for the bad news, but it sounds like your little one should be seen by a vet today. I really hope everything is ok.

Severe liver problems. I took Dillinger to vet on Friday, and after a blood test and urine analysis the vet... (8801 views)

Anxious at night time. Okay, So this is a slightly weird question but it is one that is extremely... (36685 views)

Shaking, Limping dog. yest. my dog was laying down inside my garage later on i noticed that she was... (26637 views)

Snorted out vaccine. Hello Dr. Marie....Rianna had her booster for Bordatella first of October..she has... (10885 views)

Is it time to put her down? My dog has degenerative myelopathy and is having trouble getting up, moving around... (28286 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (11026 views)

Dog ate toy. Yes, he's at it again. Last night, 9 pm, I bought him a toy penguine to chew on.... (127602 views)

Cat licks obsessively. My 4 year old cat has been doing a strange behavior for the last 1.5 years. He... (9315 views)

White vaginal discharge. Dr. Marie, My female unspayed GSD 4yrs old has a milky like discharge from her... (20030 views)

Swollen cheek on puppy. 3 days ago I came home to find my dogs right cheek swollen to golf ball size. ... (16150 views)