Vaginal discharge

Breed: chihuahua
Cheechee has a tan, snot looking sticky discharge coming from her urethra. Is this a UTI?

I have a few questions for you before typing in a complete answer:

• Is Cheechee spayed?

• Is she acting normally or is she more tired than usual?

• Is she having any problems trying to urinate?

No, she also has a lump in her breast. She has an enlarged heart and did have fluid on her lungs. I am giving her Enalapril and Furosemide to get her in shape for the surgery next month. Shes not eating as much and she is a little lethargic. The Lasix does make her urinate, so she has no problem urinating.

Oh dear...it sounds like poor Cheechee is going through a lot.

The most common reason for a tan sticky discharge from an unspayed female is an infection in the uterus called a pyometra. Unfortunately this is a really serious problem. It almost always needs to be treated by surgery to remove the uterus.

Some dogs with pyometra will have a mild discharge and not be terribly sick. However, with some dogs, they can have very serious infection and the infection can produce toxins that can cause extreme illness, and possibly even death. Pyometra is a condition that needs an emergency vet visit to determine if she needs an emergency surgery today.

There are other things that can cause a discharge from this area, but they are much less common. One thing is a vaginal infection. This is nowhere near as serious as a uterine infection and can usually be treated with antibiotics. Another would be a tumor in the reproductive tract. However, this doesn't usually produce much discharge.

I'm sorry for the bad news, but it sounds like your little one should be seen by a vet today. I really hope everything is ok.

Dog in heat a long time. i have a 7yr.old boxer who started a heat cycle in march and it is now august....she... (17832 views)

Tick part left in dog? I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I... (7438 views)

Cut my dog's nail too short. Last night, we trimmed one of our dog's nails a little too close to the quick and... (186730 views)

Painful dog. I apologize in advance for this being so long, but I want to give the history so you... (7929 views)

Cat is very quiet. My cat is a neutered male who has just turned two years old. He is an indoor/outdoor... (22163 views)

Hip dysplasia and arthritis. Hello, My dog Jasmine is about 13 & 1/2 years old. We live in New York City. I... (12584 views)

Too small for spay? My cat is really small, about nine ten pounds,is it safe to get her... (7238 views)

Blood on penis. My son's 3 yr old dog is fixed but had sex with a female dog. Now he is bleeding... (16239 views)

Bleeding after biopsy. My dog has been diagnosed with Cancer(hemangiosarcoma). The tiny hole were we... (12509 views)

Dog vomiting clear mucus and white foam. My dog continues to throw up a clear mucus with white foam. He is still very... (19211 views)