Cause of death?

Breed: basset hound

I\'m sorry that I can\'t afford to pay for an answer, but your response would be very helpful to me in providing closure on my dogs recent death. Lew was recovering from surgery. He had not had anything to eat or drink in 48 hours. We were worried about making sure he got proper hydration, as well as making sure he was able to take his antibiotics and pain killers. In a desperate attempt to get him to drink water and take his medication, we fed him water through a turkey baster. We put the pills in the back of his throat and then put the water down his throat. He visibly swallowed the water. He did not cough or try to resist. However, he died within 2 hours after that. Did we kill him? Did we drown him by giving him too much water too fast? It couldn\'t have been more than 16-24 oz. of water. Was this too much? Please let us know if our actions were wrong for the future, or if we can rest at ease knowing that we could not have killed him this way.

Thank you!

Felissa Miller

I'm sorry to hear that your dog passed away.

From what you've described it sounds unlikely that the administration of pills caused Lew's death. If Lew had aspirated water he definitely would have been coughing an uncomfortable right at the time that the pills were administered.

I'd need more information in order to speculate on the cause of death. If he was having surgery, then it sounds like there were other issues.

But rest assured that this is very unlikely to be your fault.

So sorry for your loss.

Grove snail care. Dear Dr. Marie, Hi. My snail has been burying himself lately, so whenever I want... (15549 views)

Clear discharge from eye. Hi there, My one year old cat has had a slight watery discharge from her left eye... (13672 views)

Is it time to put her down? My dog has degenerative myelopathy and is having trouble getting up, moving around... (29305 views)

Metronidazole and liver disease. My dog was diagnosed with sudden liver failure brought on by Interceptor. He got... (32223 views)

Sore tail. Yesterday I noticed my cat acting strange. She has been walking with her tail very... (10165 views)

Sardine treats for my cat. Is this recipe for cat treats safe for my cat? 3/4 cup dry, whole wheat bread... (9521 views)

Grunting pitbull I have two pit bulls, one is Maverick (female) and the other is Diezel (male). I... (14840 views)

Non itchy bald spots. She has 3 bald spots on her head and 2-3 more around her body. Took her to the vet... (18611 views)

Liver disease in a cat. Ruby is 8 years old, and was diagnosed with liver disease last Thursday. I could... (18216 views)

Dripping blood. My 13 year old female, spayed,Doberman is in good health (with lots of benign... (37077 views)