Cause of death?

Breed: basset hound

I\'m sorry that I can\'t afford to pay for an answer, but your response would be very helpful to me in providing closure on my dogs recent death. Lew was recovering from surgery. He had not had anything to eat or drink in 48 hours. We were worried about making sure he got proper hydration, as well as making sure he was able to take his antibiotics and pain killers. In a desperate attempt to get him to drink water and take his medication, we fed him water through a turkey baster. We put the pills in the back of his throat and then put the water down his throat. He visibly swallowed the water. He did not cough or try to resist. However, he died within 2 hours after that. Did we kill him? Did we drown him by giving him too much water too fast? It couldn\'t have been more than 16-24 oz. of water. Was this too much? Please let us know if our actions were wrong for the future, or if we can rest at ease knowing that we could not have killed him this way.

Thank you!

Felissa Miller

I'm sorry to hear that your dog passed away.

From what you've described it sounds unlikely that the administration of pills caused Lew's death. If Lew had aspirated water he definitely would have been coughing an uncomfortable right at the time that the pills were administered.

I'd need more information in order to speculate on the cause of death. If he was having surgery, then it sounds like there were other issues.

But rest assured that this is very unlikely to be your fault.

So sorry for your loss.

Low fat foods and tripe for pancreatitis. My 3 yr old Golden who was on Orijen for 2 years had a pancreatitis attack about 6... (22837 views)

Did Orbax cause diarrhea? Hi Dr Marie, it's me again regarding Bandit, my 4 yr old DSH. I had e-mailed you... (9245 views)

Does cat have cancer? Dear Dr Marie, I am sending this letter in order to ask your advice about the... (12012 views)

vet question Hi Dr. Marie. My name is Kim. I'm from Sydney, Australia. My dog, Lassie is going on... (8530 views)

Shedding because of diet? My cat lives indoors, and he's got a shedding problem. I was wondering if he is... (9131 views)

Feeding a cat with fatty liver. Hi Dr. Marie, I am in a bit of a muddy situation. My client changed vets for ONE of... (6685 views)

Eating grass and vomiting. Bleu has always been a resilient dog with now health problems, but over the last... (18395 views)

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (29827 views)

Tapeworms in cat. I've been using drontal deworming xl tablets to treat my cat with tapeworms also... (6286 views)

Bathed dog in gasoline. my dog's losing a lot of hair and her skin shows discoloration.when i was away for... (16309 views)