Cause of death?

Breed: basset hound

I\'m sorry that I can\'t afford to pay for an answer, but your response would be very helpful to me in providing closure on my dogs recent death. Lew was recovering from surgery. He had not had anything to eat or drink in 48 hours. We were worried about making sure he got proper hydration, as well as making sure he was able to take his antibiotics and pain killers. In a desperate attempt to get him to drink water and take his medication, we fed him water through a turkey baster. We put the pills in the back of his throat and then put the water down his throat. He visibly swallowed the water. He did not cough or try to resist. However, he died within 2 hours after that. Did we kill him? Did we drown him by giving him too much water too fast? It couldn\'t have been more than 16-24 oz. of water. Was this too much? Please let us know if our actions were wrong for the future, or if we can rest at ease knowing that we could not have killed him this way.

Thank you!

Felissa Miller

I'm sorry to hear that your dog passed away.

From what you've described it sounds unlikely that the administration of pills caused Lew's death. If Lew had aspirated water he definitely would have been coughing an uncomfortable right at the time that the pills were administered.

I'd need more information in order to speculate on the cause of death. If he was having surgery, then it sounds like there were other issues.

But rest assured that this is very unlikely to be your fault.

So sorry for your loss.

Supraglan for Cushing's? My dog was recently diagnosed with Cushing's disease. He has been drinking a lot of... (16495 views)

KBr Side Effects? I read your answer about seeing severe side effects of KBR and would like your... (11118 views)

Kidney disease and seizures. My cat is 17 years old. She has had kidney disease for five years. I have multiple... (20497 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 10 week old OES pup, male. He is in good weight, healthy... (15112 views)

Immune mediated disease. Our dog was taken to the vet on July 3rd after 2 days of lethargy and falling over... (16119 views)

Will neutering stop a dog peeing on things? hi i my dog pisses on everything well getting him fixes stop that thanks... (9987 views)

Dog coughing again. Dear Dr. Marie Im concerned about my dog he started about a month ago sounding... (7949 views)

Blood on penis. My son's 3 yr old dog is fixed but had sex with a female dog. Now he is bleeding... (16371 views)

Cat shaking after flea treatment. I accidentally treated my kitten with a store bought flea treatment meant for dogs... (28536 views)

Regular anal gland expression. Hello, I am trying to get some answers about my puppy's anal gland problem. I... (7297 views)