Lump on boxer's neck.

Breed: Boxer
Hi,
My six yr. old female boxer has a large AA egg size growth below the right tmj and to the right of the esophagus, which
on Monday was the size of a grape. The growth has a non-specific border. The circumfrence has no obvious edges upon palpation. There is also an olive size growth above her left front leg elbow. That growth has been there a while and has not changed in size. Neither growths seem to bother her. Ladybug's breath is not labored.

What is your diagnosis and should we go see a caregiver NOW (mind you, we have tickets to a music concert tonight),
or can this wait until Monday morning at 8am?

Hi and thanks for your question.

It's always tough to talk about lumps over the internet, but we'll see if we can do our best to figure this out. I have a few questions first.

1. Can you send a photo? If so, you can email it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

2. Does it seem sore at all if you squeeze this lump?

3. Is it the same color as the rest of her skin or does it seem red at all?

4. Would you describe it as soft and fluid filled, or very hard, or somewhere in between?

I am sending a photo titled "Ladybug's Lump."

The growth is hard, and does not seem fluid filled.
It is not sore when we squeeze it.
The growth area is not red at all. Ladybug's hair is uniform in color. There is no other indications that there might be something there. No itching, scaling, loss of hair, nothing.

Thank you.

OK, thanks for that info and thanks for the great photos. Ladybug is a beautiful girl! Here are two of them:

lump on boxer's neck

lump on boxer's neck

Now, I can't tell you exactly what this is, but from from you have told me this is very unlikely to be an emergency. It sounds like this lump is not bothersome to her at all.

There are a few possibilities. I have seen a number of boxers that can get an abscess in this area. An abscess can be from a recent dog bite wound or an encounter with a stick. If you think that's possible, then this could be the diagnosis.

It could also be a lipoma which is a fat lump and is nothing to worry about. It came up a little fast for a lipoma though.

Most of the worrisome things that we see on boxers like mast cell tumors or melanomas don't look like this at all.

The area that you've shown me is not the area of a lymph node either.

I think that it is worthwhile to have a vet check this out, but there is no rush and you can definitely wait until Monday. The vet will likely do a fine needle aspirate and hopefully get you a diagnosis. I will be surprised if it is something serious.

Clumsy,wobbly yorkiepoo. My son put my 11 month old yorkiepoo outside yesterday and he didn't let him back in... (14028 views)

Wobbly after ear cleaning. Hi, The last two times Tigger has been to the vet, they noted that she had a mass... (18957 views)

Losing weight, not eating. My 16 yr old cat has not been eating and losing weight. The vet has done bloodwork,... (39490 views)

Does parvo affect sperm? My dog, Moose, had Parvo Virus when he was eight months old. Yes, Moose got Parvo... (9954 views)

Irregular heart rhythm. MY 12 year old lurcher ran into a car and broke a leg and a few ribs he is in... (9045 views)

Dog walking sideways. Hello Dr. Here is my question, So my little shitzu is about 2 1/2 yrs old and... (44244 views)

Yellow skin and urine. My cat has been lethargic for about two weeks. Last week I noticed her Urine was... (12447 views)

Dog is vomiting again. Hi Dr. Marie, Last Tuesday (Dec 6) I came home and Max had vomitted up some bile... (11680 views)

Diarrhea with blood. my dog, i just recently changed his dog food. and i got home and saw diarrhea... (24380 views)

Grapeseed extract and dogs. Grape seed extract listed on some chicken jerky treats from china when looking after... (12027 views)