Lump on boxer's neck.

Breed: Boxer
Hi,
My six yr. old female boxer has a large AA egg size growth below the right tmj and to the right of the esophagus, which
on Monday was the size of a grape. The growth has a non-specific border. The circumfrence has no obvious edges upon palpation. There is also an olive size growth above her left front leg elbow. That growth has been there a while and has not changed in size. Neither growths seem to bother her. Ladybug's breath is not labored.

What is your diagnosis and should we go see a caregiver NOW (mind you, we have tickets to a music concert tonight),
or can this wait until Monday morning at 8am?

Hi and thanks for your question.

It's always tough to talk about lumps over the internet, but we'll see if we can do our best to figure this out. I have a few questions first.

1. Can you send a photo? If so, you can email it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

2. Does it seem sore at all if you squeeze this lump?

3. Is it the same color as the rest of her skin or does it seem red at all?

4. Would you describe it as soft and fluid filled, or very hard, or somewhere in between?

I am sending a photo titled "Ladybug's Lump."

The growth is hard, and does not seem fluid filled.
It is not sore when we squeeze it.
The growth area is not red at all. Ladybug's hair is uniform in color. There is no other indications that there might be something there. No itching, scaling, loss of hair, nothing.

Thank you.

OK, thanks for that info and thanks for the great photos. Ladybug is a beautiful girl! Here are two of them:

lump on boxer's neck

lump on boxer's neck

Now, I can't tell you exactly what this is, but from from you have told me this is very unlikely to be an emergency. It sounds like this lump is not bothersome to her at all.

There are a few possibilities. I have seen a number of boxers that can get an abscess in this area. An abscess can be from a recent dog bite wound or an encounter with a stick. If you think that's possible, then this could be the diagnosis.

It could also be a lipoma which is a fat lump and is nothing to worry about. It came up a little fast for a lipoma though.

Most of the worrisome things that we see on boxers like mast cell tumors or melanomas don't look like this at all.

The area that you've shown me is not the area of a lymph node either.

I think that it is worthwhile to have a vet check this out, but there is no rush and you can definitely wait until Monday. The vet will likely do a fine needle aspirate and hopefully get you a diagnosis. I will be surprised if it is something serious.

Baby teeth didn't fall out. My dog's two canine teeth did not fall and her adult teeth grew in front of them.... (10131 views)

Diarrhea from sour milk? my kittens have had diahria from my mom cats sour milk 2 weeks. I have given them... (14906 views)

Do cats prefer litter? My cat just started using the bathroom floor and areas on the carpet at litter... (6960 views)

Iverheart Plus and Max. i have been giving my dog Heartgard Plus for heartworm prevention; i recently... (26701 views)

Severe arthritis and leaking urine. Hi we have a 13 year old dog with long term hip dysplasia. he has cartrophen once a... (12186 views)

Rottweiler can't stand. Hello, We have a 13 year old Rott who was diagnosed with arthritis of the spine. ... (28237 views)

Swollen eyelid. My dog had one lower eyelid swollen inside. I discover this after she had... (17196 views)

Aggressive cat My cat is having some behavioral issues. When I got her as a kitten she always came... (8782 views)

Only one testicle descended. I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you... (57236 views)

Third eyelids in cats. my cat having an eye problem...her eye close half by some kind of white thing...i... (56375 views)