Lump on boxer's neck.

Breed: Boxer
Hi,
My six yr. old female boxer has a large AA egg size growth below the right tmj and to the right of the esophagus, which
on Monday was the size of a grape. The growth has a non-specific border. The circumfrence has no obvious edges upon palpation. There is also an olive size growth above her left front leg elbow. That growth has been there a while and has not changed in size. Neither growths seem to bother her. Ladybug's breath is not labored.

What is your diagnosis and should we go see a caregiver NOW (mind you, we have tickets to a music concert tonight),
or can this wait until Monday morning at 8am?

Hi and thanks for your question.

It's always tough to talk about lumps over the internet, but we'll see if we can do our best to figure this out. I have a few questions first.

1. Can you send a photo? If so, you can email it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

2. Does it seem sore at all if you squeeze this lump?

3. Is it the same color as the rest of her skin or does it seem red at all?

4. Would you describe it as soft and fluid filled, or very hard, or somewhere in between?

I am sending a photo titled "Ladybug's Lump."

The growth is hard, and does not seem fluid filled.
It is not sore when we squeeze it.
The growth area is not red at all. Ladybug's hair is uniform in color. There is no other indications that there might be something there. No itching, scaling, loss of hair, nothing.

Thank you.

OK, thanks for that info and thanks for the great photos. Ladybug is a beautiful girl! Here are two of them:

lump on boxer's neck

lump on boxer's neck

Now, I can't tell you exactly what this is, but from from you have told me this is very unlikely to be an emergency. It sounds like this lump is not bothersome to her at all.

There are a few possibilities. I have seen a number of boxers that can get an abscess in this area. An abscess can be from a recent dog bite wound or an encounter with a stick. If you think that's possible, then this could be the diagnosis.

It could also be a lipoma which is a fat lump and is nothing to worry about. It came up a little fast for a lipoma though.

Most of the worrisome things that we see on boxers like mast cell tumors or melanomas don't look like this at all.

The area that you've shown me is not the area of a lymph node either.

I think that it is worthwhile to have a vet check this out, but there is no rush and you can definitely wait until Monday. The vet will likely do a fine needle aspirate and hopefully get you a diagnosis. I will be surprised if it is something serious.

Arthritis medicine for dogs. Zoey recently has been having trouble walking. I think it may be her hips? She does... (6417 views)

Black spots on belly and chest. Hello, About a month ago we noticed these black spots on Xander's belly. There were... (216000 views)

Did Orbax cause diarrhea? Hi Dr Marie, it's me again regarding Bandit, my 4 yr old DSH. I had e-mailed you... (9489 views)

Pit Bull died suddenly. My Female Pit bull is about a year and half to 2 years we got her from a neighbor... (13618 views)

Guinea pig lifespan. Hi! Just wanna know, whats the life span of a guinea... (7855 views)

What caused my cat to die? Hello Dr. Marie - I found my cat dead yesterday morning under my neighbors van,... (37138 views)

Cat died suddenly. 10-11-2010 Dear Dr Marie, almost exactly similar to the post:... (23064 views)

Diabetes and IBD. Hi Dr. Marie- This one is long and complicated, but hopefully it makes sense! I... (7886 views)

Puppy not eating. Hello my 7 month old pup just recently started to eat less. This just started 2... (21124 views)

Bump under eye - tooth abscess My dog has had an abscess on her face for a while, under her eye, but it hasn't... (15036 views)