Lump on boxer's neck.

Breed: Boxer
Hi,
My six yr. old female boxer has a large AA egg size growth below the right tmj and to the right of the esophagus, which
on Monday was the size of a grape. The growth has a non-specific border. The circumfrence has no obvious edges upon palpation. There is also an olive size growth above her left front leg elbow. That growth has been there a while and has not changed in size. Neither growths seem to bother her. Ladybug's breath is not labored.

What is your diagnosis and should we go see a caregiver NOW (mind you, we have tickets to a music concert tonight),
or can this wait until Monday morning at 8am?

Hi and thanks for your question.

It's always tough to talk about lumps over the internet, but we'll see if we can do our best to figure this out. I have a few questions first.

1. Can you send a photo? If so, you can email it to photos@askavetquestion.com.

2. Does it seem sore at all if you squeeze this lump?

3. Is it the same color as the rest of her skin or does it seem red at all?

4. Would you describe it as soft and fluid filled, or very hard, or somewhere in between?

I am sending a photo titled "Ladybug's Lump."

The growth is hard, and does not seem fluid filled.
It is not sore when we squeeze it.
The growth area is not red at all. Ladybug's hair is uniform in color. There is no other indications that there might be something there. No itching, scaling, loss of hair, nothing.

Thank you.

OK, thanks for that info and thanks for the great photos. Ladybug is a beautiful girl! Here are two of them:

lump on boxer's neck

lump on boxer's neck

Now, I can't tell you exactly what this is, but from from you have told me this is very unlikely to be an emergency. It sounds like this lump is not bothersome to her at all.

There are a few possibilities. I have seen a number of boxers that can get an abscess in this area. An abscess can be from a recent dog bite wound or an encounter with a stick. If you think that's possible, then this could be the diagnosis.

It could also be a lipoma which is a fat lump and is nothing to worry about. It came up a little fast for a lipoma though.

Most of the worrisome things that we see on boxers like mast cell tumors or melanomas don't look like this at all.

The area that you've shown me is not the area of a lymph node either.

I think that it is worthwhile to have a vet check this out, but there is no rush and you can definitely wait until Monday. The vet will likely do a fine needle aspirate and hopefully get you a diagnosis. I will be surprised if it is something serious.

Can't get rid of fleas. Lately my dog has been non stop scratching and biting his skin. His skin becomes... (8237 views)

Puppy has soft stools. Background: Junior is a rescue. My first dog ever. I got him about 1 month ago,... (8915 views)

Coughing shih tzu. Louie has always gagged after drinking water, often clear watery mucous comes up. ... (24926 views)

Pitbull with rash Mister has been treated all his life for a skin rash he has. Before this year he... (10899 views)

Lumps on dog's nose. Do you know what these bumps count be? He also has a bald spot under his eye. He is... (64573 views)

Recurring ear infections in Golden. My dog is a 90 pound Golden Retriever. He has had a lot of problems with ear... (20314 views)

Lots of problems. Dear Dr Marie, Here's the link to our ongoing... (10697 views)

Remend (The dog is not mine) A friend is asking me to get Remend for their dog from a... (23872 views)

Patellar luxation surgery for pomeranian? Hi, How necessary is it to have surgery on a 2 year old Pomeranian's back legs to... (6366 views)

Coughing dog. Hi, We have talked before. Trixie is 13 years old and has had kidney issues. I... (16849 views)