Did cherry eye surgery fail?

Breed: Schnug (schnauzer/pu
My 10 month old baby boy, ralphie, just had a cherry eye surgery yesterday. this evening it looks even worse than before. is this just a normal healing time, and will resolve or has the cherry eye popped out again? He wore his collar all day with no problem. How common is it for a cherry eye to relapse within a day of surgery?

:) thank you

Hi and thanks for a great question.

Whenever I do a cherry eye surgery, I always tell people that things may look worse before they get better. It is really common to have a significant amount of swelling in the few days following the surgery.

Did your vet send Ralphie home with any medication to put in the eye? I will usually dispense a medication such as BNPH which has antibiotic but also some steroid to help with swelling in the eye. If you haven't received any medicine it would be a great idea to call your vet in the morning and ask for one.

It is also possible that the cherry eye has indeed popped out. Unfortunately this can happen quite common with cherry eye surgery.

If you think Ralphie is super uncomfortable then it would be a good idea to have him looked at again. But, if he is feeling well and not bothered by the eye then I would give it a few days to see if the swelling goes down.

Hope he does well!

thank you. yes, he is recieving eye drops, an antibiotic one only. Ralphie is also an epileptic on pheno. i will see how he is in the morning, and call if appropriate. thank you so much for your time.

Heidi

You're very welcome! Hope you and Ralphie have a restful night!

Related question: Possible stye on dog's eye

Does parvo affect sperm? My dog, Moose, had Parvo Virus when he was eight months old. Yes, Moose got Parvo... (9003 views)

Maggots in guinea pig cage. Dr. Marie, I found maggots in my guinea pig cage today. what should I do? They seem... (19403 views)

Guinea pig scabs around mouth. My guinea pig is getting brown/orange scabs around its mouth and nose?! I have took... (8652 views)

Low specific gravity. This is regarding a 9 year old male pitbull, neutered with no past medical history.... (6260 views)

Light colored diarrhea. Yesterday my husband and I purchased our new family addition and his brother. Last... (30070 views)

Incontinent kitten. Hi there! I have a kitten who was found in a drain at about 3 weeks. The vets at... (11044 views)

Fearful puppy? I just adopted a new puppy from a man who owned a farm. he had a few dogs and they... (6708 views)

Not eating and very weak. Our dog has been quite sick for a bit over a week now. We live on a small island in... (56463 views)

Seizures and vomiting. Sunday 11 pm to midnight Klyde had his first gran mal seizure during which he... (42546 views)

Kitten is walking funny. Recently I have noticed that our new addition to the family has been walking... (12942 views)