Did cherry eye surgery fail?

Breed: Schnug (schnauzer/pu
My 10 month old baby boy, ralphie, just had a cherry eye surgery yesterday. this evening it looks even worse than before. is this just a normal healing time, and will resolve or has the cherry eye popped out again? He wore his collar all day with no problem. How common is it for a cherry eye to relapse within a day of surgery?

:) thank you

Hi and thanks for a great question.

Whenever I do a cherry eye surgery, I always tell people that things may look worse before they get better. It is really common to have a significant amount of swelling in the few days following the surgery.

Did your vet send Ralphie home with any medication to put in the eye? I will usually dispense a medication such as BNPH which has antibiotic but also some steroid to help with swelling in the eye. If you haven't received any medicine it would be a great idea to call your vet in the morning and ask for one.

It is also possible that the cherry eye has indeed popped out. Unfortunately this can happen quite common with cherry eye surgery.

If you think Ralphie is super uncomfortable then it would be a good idea to have him looked at again. But, if he is feeling well and not bothered by the eye then I would give it a few days to see if the swelling goes down.

Hope he does well!

thank you. yes, he is recieving eye drops, an antibiotic one only. Ralphie is also an epileptic on pheno. i will see how he is in the morning, and call if appropriate. thank you so much for your time.

Heidi

You're very welcome! Hope you and Ralphie have a restful night!

Related question: Possible stye on dog's eye

Remend (The dog is not mine) A friend is asking me to get Remend for their dog from a... (25240 views)

Disc problems. Hello, Two weeks ago my 9 year old Black Lab start to have problems with his hind... (11981 views)

Hamster has crusty eye. my hamster is 2 years old and a week ago i noticed his right eye has crusted over i... (9845 views)

In heat and shaking her head. My dog has been vomiting and had diarrhea for the last 2-3 days. She has been in... (5961 views)

Start thryoid medicine? Biscuit has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (T4 > 7). He has lost 1 pound... (9175 views)

Handling newborn kittens. Hello, My cat has recently had kittens. I think they are a day old. She had... (10556 views)

Bleeding after whelping. My female dog is now bleeding again 8 weeks after having her pups. Now I know she's... (80006 views)

Large lump on dog's side. A lump (about the size of a quarter) showed up suddenly on his side, about an inch... (24287 views)

Vet was rough with my cat. I'm curious as to the process of applying anesthetic to a cat. Namely I witnessed my... (9832 views)

Dog waking every 2 hours. Our dog gets congested, breathes through his mouth, his mouth dries out and he wants... (30130 views)