Did cherry eye surgery fail?

Breed: Schnug (schnauzer/pu
My 10 month old baby boy, ralphie, just had a cherry eye surgery yesterday. this evening it looks even worse than before. is this just a normal healing time, and will resolve or has the cherry eye popped out again? He wore his collar all day with no problem. How common is it for a cherry eye to relapse within a day of surgery?

:) thank you

Hi and thanks for a great question.

Whenever I do a cherry eye surgery, I always tell people that things may look worse before they get better. It is really common to have a significant amount of swelling in the few days following the surgery.

Did your vet send Ralphie home with any medication to put in the eye? I will usually dispense a medication such as BNPH which has antibiotic but also some steroid to help with swelling in the eye. If you haven't received any medicine it would be a great idea to call your vet in the morning and ask for one.

It is also possible that the cherry eye has indeed popped out. Unfortunately this can happen quite common with cherry eye surgery.

If you think Ralphie is super uncomfortable then it would be a good idea to have him looked at again. But, if he is feeling well and not bothered by the eye then I would give it a few days to see if the swelling goes down.

Hope he does well!

thank you. yes, he is recieving eye drops, an antibiotic one only. Ralphie is also an epileptic on pheno. i will see how he is in the morning, and call if appropriate. thank you so much for your time.

Heidi

You're very welcome! Hope you and Ralphie have a restful night!

Related question: Possible stye on dog's eye

Coughing after spay. My cat was spayed 6 days ago. At first she was great.Incision looked great and still... (16747 views)

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (13870 views)

Proin for incontinence. Our lab is 4 years old and has had a urinary problem since birth. When he sleeps or... (11523 views)

Vomiting while in heat. Is it normal for a female dog coming out of heat to be... (25511 views)

Aggressive hamster. hello, i got a russian hamster yesterday and in the store and at home he was really... (11560 views)

Rabies from a feral kitten? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings and I hope this e-mail reaches you in good health. I... (21608 views)

Gunk in cat's eyes. hi my cat has had her vaccination today but now noticed there gunk coming out of her... (8541 views)

Painful erection for dog. Help Dr Marie, My puppy is not neutered and three or four times I have found him... (19444 views)

High liver enzymes. He has had major allergy problems since April 2010. He is seeing both holistic and... (22226 views)

Vomiting puppy. I know this is a free answer but I love my puppy,dont have a credit card and spent... (11152 views)