Did cherry eye surgery fail?

Breed: Schnug (schnauzer/pu
My 10 month old baby boy, ralphie, just had a cherry eye surgery yesterday. this evening it looks even worse than before. is this just a normal healing time, and will resolve or has the cherry eye popped out again? He wore his collar all day with no problem. How common is it for a cherry eye to relapse within a day of surgery?

:) thank you

Hi and thanks for a great question.

Whenever I do a cherry eye surgery, I always tell people that things may look worse before they get better. It is really common to have a significant amount of swelling in the few days following the surgery.

Did your vet send Ralphie home with any medication to put in the eye? I will usually dispense a medication such as BNPH which has antibiotic but also some steroid to help with swelling in the eye. If you haven't received any medicine it would be a great idea to call your vet in the morning and ask for one.

It is also possible that the cherry eye has indeed popped out. Unfortunately this can happen quite common with cherry eye surgery.

If you think Ralphie is super uncomfortable then it would be a good idea to have him looked at again. But, if he is feeling well and not bothered by the eye then I would give it a few days to see if the swelling goes down.

Hope he does well!

thank you. yes, he is recieving eye drops, an antibiotic one only. Ralphie is also an epileptic on pheno. i will see how he is in the morning, and call if appropriate. thank you so much for your time.

Heidi

You're very welcome! Hope you and Ralphie have a restful night!

Related question: Possible stye on dog's eye

Dog scratching and biting. My dog has recently started scratching and biting at himself excessively, I have... (18631 views)

Dog has an upset stomach. Hi, (again) Dr. Marie: For the past week, Jammy has been having an upset stomach... (11787 views)

Tough upper respiratory infection. We picked up Indigo from a breeder on June 13th. He sneezed occasionally throughout... (28093 views)

Possible coonhound paralysis? My dogs front right leg went out on him last night. He was on waiting list for ACL... (10782 views)

Pit bull has pus and is off balance. Hi Dr.Marie, i was wondering if you could please answer a question for me. My dog... (7606 views)

Pregnant if bred when bleeding? I have a golden retriever that's about to be 3years old. She recently mated with... (76023 views)

Not nursing, diarrhea. We have two mom cats with seven kittens each, one litter a week and a half older... (5272 views)

Dog ate vetoryl My younger dog ate some food that had vetoryl in it meant for my older dog. Will it... (16672 views)

Charcoal briquette My Yorkie, male-6 pounds, was in the garden where my husband threw burn,... (38106 views)

Vomiting 3 times per day. My dog is vomiting about 3x per day. She seems to be happy and wants to eat a... (20110 views)