Did cherry eye surgery fail?

Breed: Schnug (schnauzer/pu
My 10 month old baby boy, ralphie, just had a cherry eye surgery yesterday. this evening it looks even worse than before. is this just a normal healing time, and will resolve or has the cherry eye popped out again? He wore his collar all day with no problem. How common is it for a cherry eye to relapse within a day of surgery?

:) thank you

Hi and thanks for a great question.

Whenever I do a cherry eye surgery, I always tell people that things may look worse before they get better. It is really common to have a significant amount of swelling in the few days following the surgery.

Did your vet send Ralphie home with any medication to put in the eye? I will usually dispense a medication such as BNPH which has antibiotic but also some steroid to help with swelling in the eye. If you haven't received any medicine it would be a great idea to call your vet in the morning and ask for one.

It is also possible that the cherry eye has indeed popped out. Unfortunately this can happen quite common with cherry eye surgery.

If you think Ralphie is super uncomfortable then it would be a good idea to have him looked at again. But, if he is feeling well and not bothered by the eye then I would give it a few days to see if the swelling goes down.

Hope he does well!

thank you. yes, he is recieving eye drops, an antibiotic one only. Ralphie is also an epileptic on pheno. i will see how he is in the morning, and call if appropriate. thank you so much for your time.

Heidi

You're very welcome! Hope you and Ralphie have a restful night!

Related question: Possible stye on dog's eye

Watery diarrhea. My cat has had consistent diarrhea and vomiting for some time. Her vet began... (6462 views)

67 days pregnant. Dog is 67 days pregnant no sign of labor how much longer should i wait before taking... (12737 views)

Brown spots on belly. Hello, I have a five year old Pomeranian mix (25lbs). Within the last few weeks I... (20242 views)

Swollen feet. hey doctor, i have a weimarner....for the last 1 year he has been continuously... (8082 views)

Xylitol in fruit toxic to dogs? Hello Dr. Marie, I've recently become very aware of the dangers of xylitol with... (37069 views)

Red lesion on whippet's leg. Hi there. My whippet gets a little crazy sometimes running in the backyard. I... (8289 views)

Dog has lump on top of head. My great dane will be 1 year old on Dec.10th, 2010. We had gotten him from a... (34823 views)

Sores on dog's leg. My dog recently got theses two sores on her back leg, one bigger than the other. Its... (10429 views)

Blood in poop. Hi There, I found a few drops of blood last night in and near my puppies poo. Not... (56595 views)

Dog cowers and pees. my dog seems afraid of me when i call her over she cowers and pees when she walks... (14526 views)