Cat with megacolon.

Breed: mixture - tabby
My 12-year old cat was diagnosed with megacolon about five years ago. When he looks like he's having trouble going poop, I sometimes rub his belly to help the food move through. Is that okay? Or could that be a bad thing to do? Thanks for your response.

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

It's perfectly fine to rub his belly, but it is unlikely that you are helping him.

You may be able to get some more help on your cat's condition by reading this article that I wrote about Megacolon in cats.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Lab not eating. My 13 yr old Lab, Dylan, who has NEVER turned her nose up at any kind of food, has... (14271 views)

Red sores in front of cat's ear. Hi Dr. Haynes Thank you for offering this service and reviewing my question. My... (26631 views)

Lyme vaccine and testing. Hi, I took missy to the vet yesterday for her lyme vaccination booster shot and then... (7404 views)

Puppy leaking urine. My puppy seems to be going pee while he sleeps .. He's 7 weeks old. Is this normal?... (5330 views)

Worn footpads. Hi, Dr. Marie: I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed... (3725 views)

Treat for fleas same day as spay? I just had my puppy spayed. She came home with fleas. How long do I have to wait... (6880 views)

Panting and shaking cat. Hi, My female cat is just over 15 years old. This morning she woke up... (11327 views)

Vaccines in Nunavut. Hi, We live in the high arctic and don't have access to vet services and thus... (3397 views)

Toxic to pets? I am going green and looking for a floor cleaning solution that is dog safe. I was... (2797 views)

Feeding chicken liver to dogs. I feed Petey a high quality dry dog food in the morning, but I enjoy cooking his... (45826 views)