Cat with megacolon.

Breed: mixture - tabby
My 12-year old cat was diagnosed with megacolon about five years ago. When he looks like he's having trouble going poop, I sometimes rub his belly to help the food move through. Is that okay? Or could that be a bad thing to do? Thanks for your response.

It's perfectly fine to rub his belly, but it is unlikely that you are helping him.

You may be able to get some more help on your cat's condition by reading this article that I wrote about Megacolon in cats.

Stretching out back legs. My dog keeps strecting out her back legs and dragging herself... (147394 views)

Do dogs get gonorrhea? Hi Dr. Marie, I just got diagnosed with gonorrhea, which is devastating to me. I... (40409 views)

Spiders toxic to cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Hope things are well. I had what amounts to a common question but... (12865 views)

Cat with bump on skin. My 5 year old cat has a small bump on the back of his neck. It moves with the skin... (12422 views)

Puppy Strangles. litter of 12 puppies were born on April 13th and now 4 are showing signs of lumps... (8608 views)

Dog is vomiting again. Hi Dr. Marie, Last Tuesday (Dec 6) I came home and Max had vomitted up some bile... (12714 views)

Non itchy bald spots. She has 3 bald spots on her head and 2-3 more around her body. Took her to the vet... (16812 views)

Bassett hound neck pain, etc. Our dog Lola came to us as a stray about 3 yrs ago. She is about 7 years old and... (13519 views)

Why can't I get rid of fleas? How do I permanently get rid of fleas? I have tried flea shampoos, and De Flea... (10777 views)

Cat is really hungry. Maya has feline asthma and has been on inhaled corticosteroids for a year... (18533 views)