Puppy died.

Breed: golden retreiver
My 7week old puppy died yesterday. She laid around all weekend and was not very active. She wouldnt drink anything or eat the last few days. Before she died i called her and she was very wobbly trying to walk. There was a spot where she used the bathroom it was black and runny. Do you know what could have happened. I'm hearing different things.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that your puppy died.

It will be very difficult to determine what happened without having a post mortem exam done. I can speculate on what possibly may have happened, but these are only guesses.

Black runny stools can mean that there was a stomach ulcer present. A stomach ulcer can be caused by administration of medication such as aspirin or by ingestion of a foreign object that did damage to the stomach or intestines.

Any time a young pup dies and there is diarrhea a concern has to be parvo virus. However, usually the blood seen in the stool is red.

There are many other possibilities including toxicity or a congenital defect.

I am very sorry for your loss.

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (8084 views)

Spot in cat's eye. About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was... (24288 views)

Worms in stool. My dogs stool has a lot of worms in it. My Mom's friends takes care of a lot of... (17940 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog, Ace, passed away on Thursday, July 5th. We live in the midwest and had been... (11967 views)

Vet was rough with my cat. I'm curious as to the process of applying anesthetic to a cat. Namely I witnessed my... (8856 views)

Grief after dog's death. I need your help, please... for peace of mind so I can sleep and live with myself. ... (10186 views)

Rabbit not moving. this morning she was fine, now she is laying lifeless, her belly is flat like she... (6560 views)

Pink bumps on dog. My dog has two small bumps on top of his head. I took a picture, but I don't see a... (34504 views)

Rest for cruciate tears. Is there any unequivical, clinical evidence of a positive effect of... (11084 views)

Kidney disease in a cat. First of all I am asking you because I am under extreme financial constraints right... (25747 views)