Puppy died.

Breed: golden retreiver
My 7week old puppy died yesterday. She laid around all weekend and was not very active. She wouldnt drink anything or eat the last few days. Before she died i called her and she was very wobbly trying to walk. There was a spot where she used the bathroom it was black and runny. Do you know what could have happened. I'm hearing different things.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that your puppy died.

It will be very difficult to determine what happened without having a post mortem exam done. I can speculate on what possibly may have happened, but these are only guesses.

Black runny stools can mean that there was a stomach ulcer present. A stomach ulcer can be caused by administration of medication such as aspirin or by ingestion of a foreign object that did damage to the stomach or intestines.

Any time a young pup dies and there is diarrhea a concern has to be parvo virus. However, usually the blood seen in the stool is red.

There are many other possibilities including toxicity or a congenital defect.

I am very sorry for your loss.

Hair loss in patches. Hi we live in a remote community up near Darwin in Australia. Four weeks ago we took... (11402 views)

Itchy dog. Hi Dr Marie, Recall my email a couple of weeks ago about Max and his... (10425 views)

Vomiting foam and not eating. Hi, Pumpkin is an eleven year old male cat. He is usually a very good eater. For the... (52194 views)

Bromonidine (like amitraz) toxicity. MY DOG SWALLOWED SOME BRIMONIDINE TARTRATE OPHTHALMIC 5 ML SHE IS VERY WEAK AND... (18058 views)

Is my dog in pain? Hi dr, Marie, I'm the one that asked about the papaya leaf for... (7584 views)

Dog pees when someone pets him. Cooper is 5 months old and neutered. He pees when anyone pets him, talks to him or... (7136 views)

Lumps on hips. My dog is five years old female golden/lab. Three weeks ago I noticed two bumps at... (18557 views)

Very sick kitten. Thursday 4/21 daughter rescued kitten from tomcat in my mom's backyard. Kitten... (23434 views)

Dog weak slow and shaking. My dog has become not interest in anything and has become very weak and has very... (17106 views)

Staffordshire terriers and children. I have two female staffies who are extremely close, but who will nip and snarl at... (9604 views)