Head Tilt.

Breed: collie rottweiller c
My dog carries his head to one side. Do you think he could have an ear infection or something else? I've looked inside his ear and can't see anything.

This is a tough question to answer without seeing Max's ear. However I can give you some of my thoughts.

Usually if there is an ear infection we will see that the ear is red as compared to the other ear. It should also have brown or yellow debris and be quite sore. If you are not seeing these things then a regular ear infection is not as likely.

It is possible that he has an inner ear infection. Usually if this is the case the dog will be not his normal self (possibly off food, lethargic, etc.).

In older dogs we can sometimes have a stroke-like episode called vestibular disease which can cause a head tilt. This would be unusual in a dog of his age though.

A tumor in the brain could cause a head tilt, but again this would be uncommon in a young dog.

If he is bright and alert and eating well it's probably ok to keep an eye on him for now. But, if he is not well or if this problem has been going on for a while then a vet visit is a good idea.

Deaf and pooping in house. My cat is now about 15 years old and is in relatively good condition apart from the... (11751 views)

UTI has returned? We are currently living abroad in Kazakhstan. Vet care here is not what we are used... (34351 views)

Cat died suddenly. Hi and thank you for your time My son met me at the door in tears as 1.5 year old... (8354 views)

Possible spleen cancer. About 2 wks ago noticed lack of appetite and lethargy. Took her to the vet who said... (12147 views)

Bald itchy spots on a dog. Hi, I've been noticing my dog is scratching his back regularly on different... (21122 views)

Seizures in sleep? My dog is 15 years old he has previously about 4 years ago had a tumor removed near... (7769 views)

Itchy dog. Hi Dr Marie, Recall my email a couple of weeks ago about Max and his... (9305 views)

Can my cat live with pocket pets? Hi I have a pet rat, a guinea pig, a hamster and a cat! The cat is 19 years old, and... (10543 views)

What kind of dog to get? My dog Toby died at the age of 14 2 moths ago.Me and my family r looking 4 a new... (8233 views)

Laser pointers for cats and dogs? Will playing with a laser pointer hurt a dog or... (13595 views)