Head Tilt.

Breed: collie rottweiller c
My dog carries his head to one side. Do you think he could have an ear infection or something else? I've looked inside his ear and can't see anything.

This is a tough question to answer without seeing Max's ear. However I can give you some of my thoughts.

Usually if there is an ear infection we will see that the ear is red as compared to the other ear. It should also have brown or yellow debris and be quite sore. If you are not seeing these things then a regular ear infection is not as likely.

It is possible that he has an inner ear infection. Usually if this is the case the dog will be not his normal self (possibly off food, lethargic, etc.).

In older dogs we can sometimes have a stroke-like episode called vestibular disease which can cause a head tilt. This would be unusual in a dog of his age though.

A tumor in the brain could cause a head tilt, but again this would be uncommon in a young dog.

If he is bright and alert and eating well it's probably ok to keep an eye on him for now. But, if he is not well or if this problem has been going on for a while then a vet visit is a good idea.

Should I get an ultrasound? Dear Dr. Marie, My dog has a grade 3-4 heart murmur that she’s had her whole... (10257 views)

Bengal Cat health questions. please could you read this topic Dr. Marie and answer to help this person? thank you... (10231 views)

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (36479 views)

Cat not getting over URTI. Hi, My cat has suffered from flu from approx 8 mths old but these days never seems... (7592 views)

Vomiting 3 times per day. My dog is vomiting about 3x per day. She seems to be happy and wants to eat a... (20699 views)

Iverheart Plus and Max. i have been giving my dog Heartgard Plus for heartworm prevention; i recently... (28087 views)

Vet didn't ask my permission. I came home to find my beloved cat unable to stand (seemed drunken) and felt cooler... (9136 views)

cat with bald belly Dr Marie, My cat has recently started loosing the hair on her belly her tummy is... (10681 views)

Can dogs get tetanus? My dog got her paw caught in an animal trap this evening. She is walking around... (28796 views)

Relapse of parvo? We recently bought a lab pup that turned up with parvo a few days after bringing it... (21542 views)