Head Tilt.

Breed: collie rottweiller c
My dog carries his head to one side. Do you think he could have an ear infection or something else? I've looked inside his ear and can't see anything.

This is a tough question to answer without seeing Max's ear. However I can give you some of my thoughts.

Usually if there is an ear infection we will see that the ear is red as compared to the other ear. It should also have brown or yellow debris and be quite sore. If you are not seeing these things then a regular ear infection is not as likely.

It is possible that he has an inner ear infection. Usually if this is the case the dog will be not his normal self (possibly off food, lethargic, etc.).

In older dogs we can sometimes have a stroke-like episode called vestibular disease which can cause a head tilt. This would be unusual in a dog of his age though.

A tumor in the brain could cause a head tilt, but again this would be uncommon in a young dog.

If he is bright and alert and eating well it's probably ok to keep an eye on him for now. But, if he is not well or if this problem has been going on for a while then a vet visit is a good idea.

Dog died after coughing. Hi, My name is Tania. I had a Maltese/Shih tzu 12 years old. She had a stage one... (9839 views)

Hypothyroidism in Sheltie. Hi My dog had a thyroid test and the results came back as .8 which he said was low... (8137 views)

Frontline Plus and Advantage Multi? Can I give my dog Advantage Multi plus the Frontline Plus. I know the Advantage... (17250 views)

Cataracts, thirst and lethargy. Hi Dr Marie, I am writing for reasons of my pug that I have just been informed... (8431 views)

Should I spay my older dog? Greetings, I have an 8 year old female shih tzu that never had any puppies,and... (16604 views)

Torn nail in cat. My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a... (12666 views)

Cat hair loss. My cat has some blood above both er of her eyes and it looks like the fur fell out.... (51410 views)

Ear problems in a cat. I adopted my cat Fudge from a shelter when he was 9. He came with a host of... (10406 views)

Bleeding and then death. What would make a dog bleed soliva, loose muskle control, keep it from eating,... (14717 views)

Do male cats go into heat? Hi, I recived a new male cat and I would like to know if exist a "tablett" or... (7932 views)