Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Overdose of drontal.

Species: Cat
Breed: Domestic
Age: Less than 3 mon
My 9 week old kitten had an anti inflammatory injection, her first vaccine and we gave her a drontal worming tablet but we may have given her the wrong dose of wormer, she is now extremely lethargic, her pupils are dilated and she is very shakey. Can an overdose of drontal wormer tablet cause these symptoms and if so what is the prognosis and how can we help her?


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Hi Beth,

Do you know how many milligrams (mg) of drontal Lola had?

How long ago did she get it?

Has she had any flea treatments lately?

Let me know by responding to this question and in the meantime I'll look up the toxicity information for drontal.



Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Customer reply:

She had 1 tablet which contained 20 mg of praziquantel, 230mg of pyrantel embonate. Now reading the instructions she should have had half a tablet. Her sister has had the same dose and is fine. They have not had any flea treatments but have both had their first vaccines and lola had an anti-inflammatory injection because of a sore left leg.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

The side effects of an overdose of praziquantel in cats are usually gastrointestinal - vomiting, diarrhea, and not wanting to eat. At really high doses, you can see weakness and wobbliness. A toxic dose for a cat is 50-100 mg/kg. On average, a 9 week old cat will weigh just over 2 lbs which is 1 kg. So, she would have received 20mg/kg which is not even half of the dose that could cause serious symptoms.

For pyrantel, you need 7 times the recommended dose to see clinical signs. The clinical signs can be an increased respiratory rate and wobbliness. Are you sure that there were 230 mg of pyrantel in the tablet? If this is the case, then it is possible that the cat had too much. The normal dose of pyrantel for a 1kg kitten would be 20mg, so Lola would have had more than 10x the recommended dose.

It's tough to know how to advise you though. I can't say I have ever seen a kitten have these type of symptoms from an overdose of dewormer. I think, unfortunately an emergency visit is the best thing if that is at all possible.

I'm worried that there could be something else going on.

I wish I had a more concrete answer for you, but it does seem like Lola should see a vet right away.



Customer reply:

She did have increased respiratory but that has slowed down now and she was also very wobbily on her feet and her pupils were dilated but are not anymore. She is sleeping now and seems much more comfortable. We are unable to get her to an emergency vets now, is there anything we can do until morning?


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

I just found a case report that claims that kittens getting 10x the dose of pyrantel would only have mild vomiting as a symptom.

I really don't think this is the dewormer.

I'm wondering if perhaps Lola has a condition called a liver shunt. This could cause her to not metabolize drugs properly.

One other thought...do you have any dogs in the house that have been recently treated for fleas or ticks? The symptoms really sound like toxicity due to flea treatments. If dogs are treated with a spot on treatment and then the cat rubs on them, this can cause toxicity.

It's really tough to know how to advise you. If you absolutely can't get to a vet then really, all you can do is to keep her as quiet as possible and hope for the best. If this is a toxicity because of the dewormer, then it will *likely* wear off within 24 hours.



Customer reply:

No dogs in the house and although i have brought frontline flee treatment i haven't yet used it on them because of their young age and todays vaccines. We will stay with her all night to monitor her condition and take her to the vets tomorrow if she doesn't improve. We are with her now and i have to say that although she is asleep her vital signs are so much better.
Thank you so much for your help and advice and if there is anyway i can keep you informed please let me know.
Regards
Lolas Family.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

You're very welcome. I'd love to have an update in the morning!

Hope all is well!

Dr. Marie.



Customer reply:

Hello Dr. Maria,

Lola is much better, she's running around and playing as if she was never ill. Thank you for your advice anyway.

Love,
Lolas Family.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

I'm so glad to hear that! Thanks for the update!

Dr. Marie



Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Lavender plant bad for dogs and cats? Hi Dr. Marie, Can you tell me if a lavender plant is toxic to cats and dogs? I... (56197 views)

Cat is sleeping a lot. My cat has been sleeping a lot in the last two days. Want play. Will eat a little.... (8682 views)

Why did dog die? My dog, Runway, died suddenly early sunday morning, at about 1:00am. I am wondering... (14174 views)

Cancerous growth in dog's mouth? Hi, I have just spotted a growth in my dogs mouth. What does mouth cancer look like... (13132 views)

Trouble urinating. For about a week I have noticed my aging male neutered dog having a hard time... (46102 views)

How to get a guinea pig to lose weight Hi Dr. Marie: Recently I took my sow guinea pig Squeaky to have her nails trimmed.... (4815 views)

Red sores on mouth. My dog has developed sores or bubbley looking things round her mouth. They get... (13891 views)

Lump on ear flap. hello, what it is my dog ruby has this lump on the flap of her ear its soft feels... (8616 views)

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (5217 views)

Older cat with problems. Hi there. I really hope that you can answer my question. My cat Derek is obviously... (51792 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.