Seizure or heart problem?

Breed: shorthair, orange ta
My sister is younger and home alone until tomorrow. She called me freaking out about her cat, but I'm in another state and unable to help her so I'm hoping you can give me some insight. Morris was acting normal, crawling on her lap getting pet, when he suddenly jumped down and ran behind the couch and started howling as if in pain. She moved the couch to get to him and he ran into the kitchen where he laid down under the table. He was panting and drooling, and his eyes were black (sounds like pupils dilated). He lost control of his bowels and pooped all over himself and the floor. He laid there like that limp, panting, and drooling, for several minutes until he calmed down then laid there for about 5 minutes more. Then he got up, ate, drank, and was walking around again as if nothing ever happened. He is old (12), but has always been perfectly healthy. No issues, you would have no idea he was that old. He does go out in the yard occasionally (fenced yard, always supervised), but she said the last time was at least 3-4 days ago and wasn't for very long. We are both concerned for Morris, especially my sister who is now terrified he's going to die. I tried to do some research on the internet, but can't find anything of use. They can get him to a vet on Monday (no ER vets near them, they live out in the boonies). If he's acting OK now, is he OK? Is it poison? I thought seizures, but she said he was limp and laid still and that doesn't sound like a seizure to me so I am clueless. Any advice you can give would be very helpful. Thank you!

Sorry to hear that your sister's cat is potentially not feeling well.

I won't be able to say for certain what this is, but the most likely explanation to me is a seizure. Seizures do not always look the same. It sounds like he was unconscious for a period which fits. If this is a seizure, I have seen some cats that never have a seizure again and are fine. But, if this happens regularly then this is obviously more serious.

Sudden pain could certainly cause pupil dilation but really shouldn't caues him to go limp and pant and drool.

The other possibility is a heart condition. Cats don't really have heart attacks like people do but they can have cardiovascular incidents that are similar to strokes. These can be serious as well. Usually when a cat has a serious heart issue though they don't make a complete recovery so quickly.

At this point, if the cat is eating ok and seems to be comfortable then it is probably safe to just keep an eye on him. Regardless, when the vet is open on Monday I would recommend having him checked. Have your sister keep a close eye on his breathing and if she feels like it is labored or very fast then ideally it would be a good idea to make the drive to the closest vet if possible on ER.

I wish I could give you a more concrete answer. Hope things are ok from here.

Thank you for your quick response! If it is a seizure, what kinds of things cause seizures and recover so quickly? Could it be just because he's old, or is it more likely he got hold of some kind of toxin...? And would pain be involved or could it just have been a howl of fear for the oncoming seizure?

A toxin or poison would be quite unlikely. If this were a crazy young dog who ate everything in site I could maybe make a case for something like ingestion of a poisonous mushroom in the yard or drug ingestion. But, this would be close to impossible for a cat.

Unfortunately the most common cause of a seizure in an older cat is a brain tumor. But, I must emphasize that I have seen many cats that have a single unexplained seizure and then never have another one. The only way to know for sure if this is a tumor would be to have an MRI done which is very expensive and really wouldn't change the outcome.

I know it's hard, but at this point don't be fearful about a brain tumor. If it happens frequently, then I would be more concerned.

It's hard to say why the howl happened. It could have been fear or pain.

Looks like we got a duplicate question in there. See above for my answer.

Tapazole not working. Miss Kitty who is spayed and about 13 yrs old (we rescued her) was recently... (8647 views)

Wound on ear won't heal. My puppy accidentally scratched her inner ear, the wound scabbed over but now she... (16650 views)

Fever and dizziness in older dog. Dear Dr. Marie, Kodi is a 15 years old Labrador, he is very active and love to... (5377 views)

Coughing cat. My cat has had a horrible cough for two or three months and the vet doesn't know... (4868 views)

Dog biting at tail. I just noticed earlier today Sept. 29th that my Husky has chunks of hair missing... (33547 views)

Kittens not eating or nursing My cat had 5 kittens 5 weeks ago. Recently, she has stopped feeding them and taking... (12991 views)

Blood in urine. I can not afford to take her to a vet...so here I am. I have just noticed while... (9865 views)

Limping, trouble breathing and then dog died. Dr. Marie, My dog died this evening and am looking for possible causes. I did not... (19850 views)

Toenail problems. We adopted Tiger (62lb what appears to be shepard/boxer mix) in May and about a... (8081 views)

Is this a liver shunt? Hello Dr. Marie, Murphy is 16 months old. For the first 6 months of her life, she... (4700 views)